1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, Jul 23, 2003.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading an american site which informs me Spielberg had made 2 digital alterations to the upcoming film Raiders Of The Lost Ark, first one is u won't see the reflection of the snake when Indy falls into the snake pit, second one is the title has been changed to Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Ok now i don't mind them altering the snake scene but changing the title is just a big NO WAY are u nuts steven, this is as bad as Greedo shooting first in Star Wars, i'm sooooo annoyed when i read this Raiders Of The Lost Ark is a classic and spielberg has lost the plot if he's really going to let this films title be changed.

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What's the big deal? It's still the same film isn't it? I would be more concerned about alterations to the film, than just to the title!

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a very big deal its ok to change minor things in a film update special effects etc but changing a films title is just not on and sure its done for certain countries but thats a translation problem my point is for 22 years we have known Raiders of the Lost Ark as this films title and the sequels were all inferior and one day spielberg decides to change it, i don't buy it and i don't agree with it and feel the title should remain the same as its always been adding Indiana Jones at the start of the title is just a money making exercise and i strongly disagree with it.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Blimey FM

Your quite passionate bout this... Perhaps you could buy the disk and stick the old video cover in the box ;)

5. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +55
    I seem to remember this started with the last VHS release of the films, when the TV eps were included in the Indy saga. The VHS box was titled 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark'. I don't know if the film itself was changed as I didn't buy them (waiting for DVD. It's been a long wait). At the time, I thought it was a bit cheesy, but after thinking about it, I think it's quite nice to have Indys name in the title.

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Have you seen the trailer of the trilogy on R1 How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days??

I hope they get that sorted out, looks AWFUL, it gets heavily pixelated round the edges! And not just on my DVD player!

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    :laugh:

I've been watching films (especially in the horror genre) under god knows how many different titles for years. "Raiders..." becoming "Indiana Jones and the..." really makes absolutely no difference to me at all. Personally I find it remakable that you're quite happy to see changes made to a films content but are horrified by a few extra words in the title:rolleyes:

8. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The movies are listed as Episodes 24, 25, and 26 on my VHS copies!

Lucas did it with Star Wars. Will all know that Part IV was called A New Hope but the film was always called Star Wars. These days it's called Star Wars: A New Hope.

Get's on my tits too.

Oy, George. Release the original theatrical versions on DVD. You can stick you "enhanced" versions up you back pipe!

Time was I'd never have been so rude to George Lucas but he's sold our goodwill too many times.

Actually, while I'm at it...

Oy, Steven. Release Schindler's List on DVD!

I feel better now.

D.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm used to Directors cuts and special editions of films so changing some of the content doesnt bother me butttttt Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favourite film of all time i grew up with it ive watched it nearly a 100 times and i don't want to see the title changed, ok picture this everyone knows Blade Runner would u be happy if Ridley decided to rename the film Replicant ?
    Titles we all know and love should not be altered.
    Scenes in a film are often altered as ive mentioned u have special editions and directors cuts but name changes just so the first film looks good in a boxed set is WRONG and its a money making exercise.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The tweaking of the title makes this much difference... (I am holding my thumb and forefinger really, really close together.

As to Lucas' insistence that the three original "Star Wars" movies will never see the light of day in their original form, the word seems to be that this is his revenge on John Dykstra and his FX team.

Seems to be confirmed by an excellent book (remember books guys?) I've been reading lately called "Easy Riders and Raging Bulls: How the Sex and Drugs and Rock'n' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood". It documents the rise of the Brat Pack directors in the '70s - Lucas, Spielberg, Scorcese, Coppola, etc, and makes for some very interesting reading.

Apparently Lucas had a major bee in his bonnet with Dykstra and company during and since the production of the first movie. After the initial unexpected success of the movie almost everyone on it was treated to a cash bonus from Lucas except for Dykstra and his team. After all, how important were FX to the success of "Star Wars"?

Seems ol' George really knows how to hold a grudge and this is his way of eliminating Dykstra's contribution to the movies (along with royalty payments too perchance). Hardly surprising as historical revisionism in the "Star Wars" camp is beginning to rival that of Roddenberry's in the "Star Trek" world.

Interesting comment from Mrs. George Lucas in the book; when speaking to Robert Altman she blamed today's dearth of decent, intelligent movies for adults on "Star Wars". She opined that the rot set in with that movie's success and that she felt quite guilty about it.

11. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe he has changed the title to allow all three films to be together alphabetically? Preventing the need to place "Raiders" on a different shelf. ;)

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    You've done it again Holmes! :smashin:

13. bastogne

bastogne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >Apparently Lucas had a major bee in his bonnet with Dykstra and company during and since the production of the first movie. >After the initial unexpected success of the movie almost everyone on it was treated to a cash bonus from Lucas except for Dykstra and his team. After all, how important were FX to the success of "Star Wars"?

You should read John Baxter's biography of George Lucas for more details about this. Lucas can hardly be blamed. When he returned to ILM after completing both the location shoot and the studio scenes at Elstree he found that Dykstra and his team had spent almost their entire budget and produced nothing more than a handful of effects shots - most of which were terrible. I believe this was some six months before the film was due to open!

It's to the credit of Lucas that he immediately installed a line manager at ILM - over Dykstra's head - and arranged for multiple crews to work split shifts 24hrs a day in order to get the effects shots done. It's an interesting theory that Lucas now refuses to release the original trilogy in order to erase Dykstra's contribution but I doubt its accuracy.

14. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I understand the title is only changed on the box (and disc) Not in the film itself.

If it really bothers you, you could make your own cover art and disc label up. [adds smiley face]

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its my understanding the films actual title has been changed in the film itself, i thought more of you would object to this being cinema fans like myself, i guess i'm one of the few people who watches a films end titles too or am i wrong ?

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you're going a tad pedantic with this, FM. It's not like it's being renamed "The hero with the whip" or something. It's being given a prefix to match it with the following two films, that's all.

And I'm doubtful on the whole Dykstra thing. Why is he still in charge of FX on the new movies if Lucas dispises him so much?

17. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Raiders Of The Lost Ark be released on it's own on dvd? I've only read it's coming out in the indy trilogy boxset. Don't want the other two, any chance?

18. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes,all 3 films are going to be available to buy on their own via r3(korea),
    So you have to import or buy the box set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Dykstra has nothing to do with the new Star Wars films at all, it's all ILM work as far as I know. In fact Dykstra's only involvement with any of the SW movies was the first (IV: A New Hope), although his pioneering work on the motion control/Dykstraflex camera system would prove invaluable to Richard Edlund/Dennis Muren/Phil Tippett and the rest of the original ILMers.

I don't believe Lucas is changing the original trilogy to erase Dykstra's contribution either, I just think he has lost much of his creative and artistic judgement over the years and become more concerned with playing with new technology. He's like a big kid in a toy shop with no-one telling him when it's time to put the Lego away!

As for the Indy title, it doesn't bother me too much but I'd rather they left it as it was.

If it ain't broke George, don't fix it.

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    D'OH!
    The person I've thought was John Dykstra for all these years is actually Rick McCallum!:suicide:

21. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you really want to get upset about the title change, order it from a Canadian site - then you'll get it in French too! :laugh:

22. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do buy my films from canada and i'm not bothered by french writing on the box, it bothers me that a film which is my personal favourite is being tampered with but i guess most people aren't too fussy and will be glad to just own them on dvd, i am surprised that spielberg hasnt asked for DTS to be one of the sound formats given his prefernce for it.

23. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm not expecting miraculous, benchmark sound from ROTLA, given the age of the film, and to be honest, I don't think DTS makes that much difference to soundtracks of this age.

24. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I am, the PCM laserdisc sounds amazing!

25. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh, well, I could be in for a nice surprise then! :smashin:

26. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,069
    In an upcoming promotion for the Blu-Ray box-set of all 4 films, 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is getting a 70mm IMAX release for 1 week only this September. It's still to be confirmed if this will happen outside of the US.

Steven Spielberg, who personally oversaw the IMAX conversion, says that no special effects or other visual elements of the film were changed and spoke to the New York Times about why he wanted to re-release ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark' in IMAX and said:
    'Raiders of the Lost Ark' to Receive Imax Rerelease - NYTimes.com

Raiders of the Lost Ark went through the restoration process for the soon-to-be-release The ‘Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures' Blu-ray box set which hits shelves on October 8th, 2012. (September 18th for US)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  27. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

(I'd pay to see Indy in IMAX though, it'd be all kinds of awesome.)

28. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Imagine the size of that boulder chasing after him in IMAX!

29. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,557
    Man, they have to release Raiders in the cinemas for the Blu Ray release, like they did with the other Spielberg produced/directed movies: Back to the Future, Jurrassic Park and Jaws.

Well I hope they do, I will certainly love to see Raiders on the big screen. It will be a personal amendment for me as My father wanted to take me to Raiders but I insisted on Clash of the Titans as the TV trailers looked far more enticing to me as a 10 year old. Now my father knew which would be the better film but pleasing me was a priority and so Clash of the Titans it was, and we both enjoyed that. As I grew older and saw Raiders for the first time on TV, I realised I missed out on an experience but I dont regret my 10 year old mind's choice, Clash of the Titans was the film for me back then. Of course I saw all of the other Indy films on the big screen but I always felt a tinge of sadness for missing out on Raiders. But if they release it now, my life will feel complete :)

30. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,069
    IMAX Trailer

Raiders of the Lost Ark - IMAX Trailer (HD)

Steven Spielberg comments on Raiders of the Lost Ark;
    Full interview - Steven Spielberg says

IMAX Press Release (US)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012