India v England Match 3

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Ian J, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Surely we aren't going to throw this one away. 152 runs ahead with 8 wickets remaining on a pitch that is supposed to start to deteriorate and should therefore be tricky for the Indians batting last.

Good to see Jimmy Anderson back to his best and Owais Shah seems to have slotted in well showing that we have batting strength in depth now.

Dean Jones said today that he recalls being told by Alan Border that there were three or four "key hours" in a Test match that generally decided the outcome. I think that the morning period tomorrow will be one of those key periods. If we bat well we should take the score beyond India's reach but if India's bowlers take a couple of key wickets their greater experience in local conditions could sway things in their favour.

Talking about the Sky commentary team :) There will be a lot of unemployed cricket commentators around now that Channel 4 have given up cricket but I am glad to see that Michael Atherton has been snapped up by Sky as I like him a lot.

2. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Come on Ian. please dont jinx this one ;)

I think we should come away from this one with a win, I would think 380 lead should be enough, so if we bat sensibly first session tomorrow losing no more than Udal and one batsman we should be up to a 250 lead at lunch. We can then go about a session of pushing on playing a few shots to get the lead up there. Nick one or two out final session :thumbsup:
    Really happy for Jimmy Anderson, I think he is a top bowler and is still pretty young so hopefully he can push the other guys.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Well done lads! Both Jinxed it good n proper :D

Yet again our lads are trying to prove that the words "Batting" and "Collapse" are NOT mutualy exclusive :rotfl:

95 for 5 - VERY poor showing indeed.

Will the tail yet again show the batters how its done? Lets hope soo!

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,698
    The stats would show that England are strong favourites for tomorrow but i'd call it 50/50:rolleyes:

I think by the time I wake up the outcome could be well on the way to being decided..

5. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    No, I dont think they can manage to lose this one. Kumble is handy but Fresh bowlers with a new ball SHOULD knock him over early, and with Sewag will struggle playing his normal game while not 100%. So two early wickets and we are into Yuvraj and Dhoni who wont be able to contain themselve.
    England win witin two sessions :smashin:

6. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Being a big cricket fan, i was looking forward to an exciting game of cricket today. What can i say? I thought the days of tedious cricket had gone. I think someone forgot to tell england that they had to win this one. To score at under 2 runs per over and only leave themselves just over a day to bowl india out defies belief.

Was Flintoff scared of losing?

Any thoughts on why England didn't push on.

lee

7. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Possibly because they were up against two of the world best spinners who were bang in form on a 4days old indian pitch.
    By no means was that tedious, watching a top Indian side fight back after England had been on top and England doing there best to put them out of the game.
    Altough I would have prefered 60 odd more runs and a few more overs at the Indians, I think they judge it right based on how it was going at the time. If Englishmen started playing strokes to speed up they could have found themselves all out for 30/40 runs less, letting India right back in the game.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Flintoff is one of the most exciting attacking batsmen in the world who will punish any loose balls by propelling the speedily to the boundary.

The two Indian spinners, especially Harbajhan Singh, were bowling superbly and I doubt whether Viv Richards in his prime could have done much better. If the conditions remain the same we will have the pleasure of watching Monty Panasar putting the Indians under similar pressure tomorrow.

9. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    99-9 and there's people on the pitch.... :clap:

A great end to a disappointing tour....

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    "They think its all over .... It is now!"

100-All out.:thumbsup:

Where the batters lack the bowlers show them how its done. At least thats my n00b take on it :)

11. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Won a test In India for the first time in 20 years, unearthed a few more players of test quality and drew the series with half our settled team.

Not much to be disapointed about for me :thumbsup:

12. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah - definately not a dissapointing tour. Great result:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

. Shame I couldn't see any of it on TV :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

13. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I include Pakistan in my surmising overall disappointment...

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What a great end to the series. What an excellent captain Flintoff has been too and it hasn't affected his batting or bowling one bit.

15. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Good news, can't wait for the ODI's. India hammered Pakistan 4-1 in the ODI's, lets hope England don't suffer the same fate.

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We aren't that good at the limited overs game but I have a revolutionary concept that may be worth trying out - let's keep the same team.

Ian Bell could perhaps sit out the one dayers with Vikram Solanki taking his place and probably one of the two spinners but apart from that I don't see any need for the wholesale changes that so often happen at the end of the test matches

17. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    Thats the one thing that worried me when he was appointed. Perhaps it hasn't affected his performances because he knew it was only short term...or perhaps he is just a great player/captain.

It seems to have made him a bit more responsible with his batting, which can only be a good thing.

18. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Great result :thumbsup: but it was a pity panesar didnt show hes well talked about potential in this match cos all it does is make the spinners place in the squad just as unresolved before they left for India.

Still that was the only real downer for me, otherwise the future looks brighter for england after this superb result :cool:

19. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    I bet Udal was bricking it when he turned around to see Panesar under another skier:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great result, lets just hope South Africa can give Australia a better game tommorrow.