Indesit Washing Machine Help

A2a

Established Member
Reaction score
When putting the machine on any normal cycle, the program does not seem to advance to the next stage and just keeps ticking over in the initial rinse mode.

Can anyone offer any insights please?

Probably a knackered programming unit.

Given the price of new washers, it'll probably be easier to just buy a new one, as a repair will easily be above £150, if you have to call someone in, imo.

The water doesn't seem to get warm, perhaps it's a heating issue since it's just looping indefinitely on it's initial spin and not at all progressing to the next cycle?

Have tried the dedicated spin and drain cycles, they work fine - and were my only hope as the machine being full of water wouldn't let me open the door... Seems to be only on normal wash programs?

Yes, it could be the heating element.
That's a much easier proposition (I think) and they're not that expensive.

Not that I'm an expert.
I was just going off previous experience, where it used to be worth replacing parts.

Probably best if I keep my nose out tbh and wait for better qualified answers.

In the meantime, try searching for your specific model on the net.

I managed to sort my washer, which had blown a transistor and sourced a recon board via the net.

Also, you should post the model no here, which might get you more specific answers:)

If you have a meter, check the element reading and check if there juice at the element.

Could be a stat - Indesit Washing Machine Thermostats

Does it wash on a 90 degree program?

Thank you, it's an Indesit WIL163S.

Know what you mean, we seem to live in a consumable society where it's cheaper to replace than repair. It's been really well looked after though so would like to try rescue it (without professional repair as that would be worth buying new!).

Just researched about the element and it shouldn't be too difficult to replace - it's just getting access to it. Do you know where it's located?

It doesn't wash on a 90 degree program, it doesn't even do a 60 or a 40. The machine just fills with water and stays with the 'wash' led and rotates, and does that continuously.

Going to try a 30 now. If I know where to get to the element I'll try reading it (do you mean voltage reader?).

Where's the thermostat located? That looks a small part and potentially easy to replace?

Last edited:
Take a resistance reading, not sure what you element should read, perhaps around 30 ohms.

It (element) will be located low down at the rear of the drum.

Don't purchase parts without being fairly sure that is where the problem lies.

I'll try do that ASAP.

Is it at the back or front of machine under the drum?

You're right, I'd definitely like to ascertain what the issue hi before buying - £s rather limited.

Perhaps you may be better getting a knowledgeable mate to help out. Isolated from the mains, there are still heafty currents that can give a nasty belt in there!

Will be asking someone as need to borrow voltage reader.

If it's not the element, where is the thermostat located?

Just tried a 30degree quick wash, which resulted in constant cycling during the wash part. Cancelled it and the water inside was cold...

If the machine isn't heating on any programme, what would the general likelihood of the issue be; element or thermostat?

Don't have an led display
:(

I'll buy an element (just removed old one - but also see how nice and easy the thermostat sits in there).

Found the part about £7 cheaper on a certain auction site with exact same part number as Indesit's catalogue. Will fit that and fingers crossed...

Meanwhile nanny has to help with baby daughters clothes :)

Thanks for your help and advice, will keep you posted.

i get the same problem of not advancing into the next stage with my Indesit washing machine as well. It keeps leaking as well, flooding up the entire area. That said, I've been using it for nearly a decade. Maybe it's time to change!

Hi, my mashing turns on, I put it on a cycle and then 10 seconds later all the lights start flashing and nothing happens, the door won’t open either any ideas

if the wash, rinse, and spin function lights are all flashing at the same time this indicates a possible obstruction in the drain or waste pipe. Worn carbon brushes can also cause this to happen (most likely 10 mins into the wash..)

What happens if you put it on the spin cycle? (if there is water in the machine, you will not be able to open door..)

Hi, thanks for ur reply. Sometimes the washer starts, sounds like it’s filling up then stops and all the lights start to flash again no nothing happens

After the machine fills, the motor would start for the wash ; it there is a fault with the motor, the electronic board senses this and stops sequence ; so you have probably have a faulty motor. How old is it ? -- The carbon brushes in the motor wear out after a couple of years : also, as I asked before - what happens if you put is on the 'Spin' program ? (does it spin or just sit there..)

Hmm - not sure what that could be

4 Months old means it is still under guarantee - just call out an engineer?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom