1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Independent TV Engineers/where?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by weyland-yutani, Jan 19, 2003.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    where can i find a GOOD independant tv engineer to come out and diagnose my tv's problems, so i can then send it back to comet and they will have to fix it cos i have a second independant opinion.

i'll explain shall i?

my panny has bad interference on S-video pictures, this type:

)))))))))))))))))) ----->
    ((((((((((((((((( <-----
    )))))))))))))))))) ----->
    ((((((((((((((((( <-----

-----> = direction of interference movement.

it also has background crosstalk from the ariel signal on RGB pictures, you can see the outline of broadcast signals sliding across the screen(ghosting)

i've had a comet engineer come out but he said that he couldn't call it a fault and it would have to go in to be checked out.:rolleyes:

translation: it doesn't affect the way the tv works so i'm only humouring you and you'll just have to put up with it.

now, i know that my tv will come back and they will say they could find no faults(that's just what they do). so i need to be able to find out exactly why the faults are happening so i can force them to fix it.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Of course it is a fault, they just don't want to deal with it and hope you will go away!

Try contacting the trading standards.

The last thing you want to do is to have someone else look at your set unless you have their agreement for an independant inspection. They will simply rule out any further responsibility as the damage could have been done by others.

In any event the only way to sort out problems such as this is to actually follow them through a series of logical steps and parts replacement until the fault is gone. The engineer will not neccessarily be able to say exactly what the fault is without repairing it and proving the diagnosis. The only hope you would have of getting your costs back would be a small claims court.

It is often very difficult to find out a fault in modern tv's. On the whole they are so reliable that each failed set may come up with a fault that the engineer has never seen before. I had a phillips set some years ago that started occasionally refusing to restart from standby. Leave it unplugged overnight and it may recover. Alternately a service reset button inside would get it going again. It took 3 months for the set to be diagnosed and repaired as the fault was so intermittent. Eventually it was shipped back to Denmark? for inspection and repair at the factory as the fault had not been seen on any other phillips sets before and they wanted to find out what had gone wrong.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends where you are in the country, but most would probaably charge to come out. I can reconmend a couple in the West MIDS Champans Electrical, Downing&Downing,Sheps but a location might help:rolleyes:

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    As hd says, a location would be useful. I know many good dealers around the country and may be able to point you in the right direction. Also, is it a 100Hz set? The interference you describe can sometimes been seen if the filter cable supplied with some sets is not used.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Have you tried the normal tricks.......??

A better S-vid cable and the pin 9 scart trick....??

I know this is no help in finding an independent, but it might help if you have not already tried.

If i had a prob with the TV, i would just keep calling them out...but when you ring them, ask them if they can send someone who knows a bit about TV's....they will prob do something after a few call outs.

6. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    i live near crewe, cheshire.

its not 100htz. its a 28PL1

what's the 9 pin scart trick:confused:

i've tried a scart cable with the video out pin(19) disconected, but the ghosting still exists and so do the wiggly lines on s-video

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28