Independent switching to two screens

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dwillis, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this may have been covered....

Is it possible to switch two sources independently to two screens i.e. PS3 & SKY HD fed to two screens with the option to use PS3 in one room and SKY in another at the same time and vica versa.

I'm aware you can buy a 2/3/4 input with 2 output switch, but then the source would have to be watched in both rooms !!!!

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

2. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    For this type of switching, you will require the 'matrix' switching functionality.
    HDMI Matrix Switcher Splitters

A HDMI Matrix switcher allows you to connect all your various HD source devices (such as HD Satellite Receivers, Games Consoles, Blu-ray & DVD Players) and potentially four display devices (HDTV, projector) to one central hub for the most versatile control over your set-up. The matrix signal routing element of the unit gives the user the flexibility of being able to route any input to any output of their choice, even if they desire a different input to be shown on each of the displays.

HD Cable's range of Matrix units can be found here:
    HDMI Matrix Switchers - HDMI Products

Starting at £99.99 delivered

3. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jamie....That looks like the sort of gadget I'm after.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello dwillis

A Matrix is the most flexible option - though keep in mind you may have to manually manage the PS3 audio over HDMI if you have an AV Amp in one room and not the other.

The PS3 only supports one audio feed at a time - whereas SKY HD delivers Stereo via HDMI + DD via Optical simultaneously.

With a Matrix you have to think about how best to control Source selection remote and keep in mind that you can run into HDCP and EDID issues over HDMI - you also need to work out the best Video Out setting on a PS3 if you have Displays that don't support the same range of signal formats (typical one that supports 1080p and one that doesn't).

See Media Factory - Connect, Control and Install your Audio Visual equipment!

Joe

5. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, thanks also for your input. I thought there maybe some audio issues, and I'm prepared to have to manually adjust those as and when required. Its a small price to paid in order to have these options in two rooms.

The PS3 and Sky HD are connected optically to my DSP-A2 in the lounge, so almost certainly I will have some audio issues in the 'other room'. I have a Panny 50PX70 in the lounge and a Panny 37PX80 in the bedroom, so there should be no issues with video processing.

Hopefully Sony will include a firmware update at some point for the PS3 to output audio via optical and HDMI simultaneously.

I ordered and have already received the HDMI matrix from HDCables, fantastic service, thanks Jamie.

Darren