Independent Dealer Negotiation

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by djcla, Jun 30, 2015.

1. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    As per my new car thread looking to potentially swap my focus for a 1 series and just wondering are you better off just trying to buy a new car for cash and negotiating the price down that way, then asking for a part ex price . Im basically open to Part ex offers as its easier but also not against selling privately. End of the day just want the ebst deal possible but normally its harder to get the price down if you part ex. thoughts ...

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Who said its harder with a part ex? With a part ex it gives you 2 opportunities to reduce the price. Some dealers will refuse to budge on the sale price but with a part ex it allows them to increase the part ex value reducing the overall cost to you.
    I made a deal like this last month for the mother in law, she had a strict budget of £12k on finance, we were £400 off this so instead of reducing the sale price they upped the part ex by £400.

3. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Don't understand why people get all worked up about px values. All you need to know is the cost to swap cars. Whether they knock money off the new car or give you more for your px makes no difference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    totally agree, stop getting hung up on your p.x value it's all about the 'balance to change'. If you're looking at a £25000 car and would be happy with £5000 for your p.x then just tell them you're looking for a balance to change of £20000. they may go strong on your p.x and reduce the new car price a bit to help you out.
    People who are hung up on p.x values are a pain the backside :facepalm:

5. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    but you can sometimes get a lot better deal selling privately and knocking the new car price down. But once you go in for the part ex you wont know what you can get off the price if you just paid cash.

6. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I find most dealers are willing to give me two prices when I enquire about a car.
    One based on part-ex, one based on 'cash'.
    I then decide from there.
    It's been years since I traded in, so that in itself shows the 'cash' deals won.
    I'd prefer to part-ex though, it's a lot less hassle than dealing with Joe Public.

7. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    This and the fact that you have to potentially keep two cars taxed and insured. Also for us, we dont have a drive so parking it as well. For my last car change, drove down in old car, parked it up and drove back in the 'new' one.

I guess it all depends on the value of the car but for the few hundred I was looking at, wasn't worth it.

8. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    yeah this dealer didn't even seem keen at offering me 8k book price even with all the added options I have on my focus. I think id easily get 9500/10 for it private, but its a huge gamble and im not prepared to take it. I think Id have to sell first and hope I get it sold before the one I want sells im mulling it over.

9. Frostytouch

Frostytouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Do you or did you work in a dealership?

My used car has a value, the new car has a maximum net value based on dealer discounts. Cost to change is a dealer term used to hide their profit......

We always negotiate like FZR, cash price first, then part ex / cost to change.

10. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    A car dealer will usually not go into cost to change to start off with. They'll work out if you're the kind of mug that wants a silly amount for your trade in or a huge discount off the car they're buying then adjust the figures accordingly. Most of them only want to talk about a monthly repayment figure which does my head in as all they're trying to do is work out your budget and again adjust things to suit them for maximum profit.

In my experience selling cars if you want a price to change you'll have to ask for it, probably more than once and doing it and pushing for the best one lets the dealer know you're not a typical punter. Most of them let the sales staff push them around and bamboozle them with figures, they do little homework beforehand and end up buying because they're fed up with the whole process.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  11. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Have you checked what one of the plethora of 'we buy your car' websites would give you?
    Or even phoned some local dealers and sell to them?
    These are all things I've done after receiving derisory trade-in offers and when I can't be bothered with the hassle of Joe public/advertising etc.
    Then I'm free to deal with a wedge of dough.
    One dealer, I swear, even phoned his wife down from the house 50 yards up the road, showed her our Clio and said "that's your new car" before handing me what I wanted in readies.:D

12. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Just about to drop my car. Got px value of £9500 from a dealer and £11175 from wbac. Waiting six months before swapping so gone with wbac which almost matches what my car is fetching on auto trader.

13. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    yup they offer £8330 but that site doesn't give an option to add all the extras etc , I may ring some dealers to see what they offer. Ive heard WBAC will come out pick your car apart and offer a lot less. It also doesn't take into account any add options etc on their website.

14. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I've dealt with WBAC twice and WWYC once.
    If you're honest about the condition on the online form, all they tend to really look for is bad stone chips (so fix any yourself before going).
    I think the criticism they get is down to people being untruthful on the form, then feeling 'hard done by' when the guy catches them out.

15. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    my car is mint so they had nothing to knock the price down on :)

16. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Dealers aren't a free valuation service, we are here to make a living. If someone is interested in one of my cars i'll invite them down with their p.x to talk further I don't sit by the phone giving out free valuations!
    you will ALWAYS get more for a car privately and i'd rather you did that it's less paperwork for me! If i take your p.x in, the next trader/garage will have to sales inspect it, valet it twice, put a warranty on it, take care of any damage/smart repairs/missing equipment AND make some profit so don't be offended when a garage offers you ££££ less than what they are going for on auto trader :lesson:

Yes i'm a car salesman for a main dealer and by far the questions that irritates every salesman the most is "what's your best price mate?" :facepalm:

If a car has £9995 in the screen then that's my best price, if you want to make an offer you can. We are here to help you find a car not rob you blind. If every dealer in the world put their best price on every car how would we ever stay in business!
    I could write books on how stupid customers are sometimes:nono:

17. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Haven't you just contradicted yourself there, if £9995 is your best price why are you open to offers? I've never paid asking price for a car, there's always somewhere you can save some money.

18. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    What I hate is dealing with un friendly patronising car sales men, not saying you are one btw. There is always a deal to be had for both party's.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  19. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I'd rate lack of product knowledge as the single most annoying thing about (some) car salesman.
    You should know your product better than the customer, always.
    If I was a car sales manager, I swear I would test them on product knowledge.
    Maybe out of the blue....
    Hide behind a fern, then jump out and say "what wheel options are available on the SE !?!?"

20. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    oh how very true and I tend to research the hell out of things before buying too... Its the same with AV in certain places

21. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    This!
    What happened to taking pride in your career/job?
    I'm coming to you to buy a vital tool for my job. I'm very good at my job and I need the right car. At the very least I expect you to admit you don't know if I ask a question that you're not sure about. A few weeks ago I was on the point of pulling the trigger on a Skòda citigo and mentioned in passing the importance of the panoramic roof opening and he sat opposite me and said "oh it doesn't open, it just let's more light in". I pointed at the photo of the model we were ordering on the brochure on the desk in front of us that showed the roof open and he said "that's for foreign markets", "I've got one of these as my company car and it's just a fixed Payne of glass". I actually got up and tried the roof on the showroom model and it opened as advertised. His answer? "Oh they didn't tell us it opens".
    Actually now that I think about it I realise I just don't like being sold too.
    Whether it's a car or a tv whatever I need to know it inside out before I approach the vendor.
    Then it's just numbers. I like the Internet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  22. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    There is always a deal to be had, my best price is to sell it at what it owes me but if i did that on every car we wouldn't be in business long:eek:
    At the end of the day another dealer will always undercut you by £1.
    There are many different types of customer, some will buy at asking price, some will barter a good deal and some will cut their nose off because they think we are trying to rip them off.

Trust me when i say there is NOTHING worse than saying to a sales exec "what's your best price"
    do people think i'm going to reply "well let me see , i paid £10000 for it, i've put £600 into it in prep,warranty, valets etc so if you give me £10600 it's yours"...:facepalm: No clearly i'm not so my offer is in the screen, chip me for a couple of hundred quid if you like :D

23. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Imagine if you were selling your house. You've sat down and discussed it with your partner and had valuations done etc and have decided that the least you'd take is £320,000 but you will advertise to begin with at £350,000. Buyer shows up and says "what's your best price?" you're not going to say £320'000 are you?.....Same with cars:lesson::smashin:

24. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    When a buyer asks, what's your best price there simply asking if there's room for movement on the asking price. Which there clearly is as you've pointed out with multiple examples now. There not asking you for it at cost to you so you make no profit.

25. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Then why ask "what's your best price?" :eek:

I much prefer someone who asks if there's any room for negotiation or if there's a deal to be had and i actually quite enjoy the bartering stage, my answer is always yes!

I don't mean to sound aggressive by the way i enjoy a good debate and i'm just passionate about my job. Unfortunately there are some members of public that have nothing better to do than to tour car dealerships wasting our valuable time, talking down to us and acting like we're trying to rob them with no intention of buying a car any time soon. :nono:

26. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    I'm sure Taxi drivers hate to hear 'what time are you working to tonight' but people always say that, myself included.
    People don't buy cars often so it's just one of those obvious questions they think they need to ask. It's not like buying a tin of beans in the shop after all, people expect a little wiggle room so 'best price' is a natural question, like it or not ;)

27. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Out of interest, what makes do you sell?
    A good mate of mine has been in the car sales game for decades.
    He's sold Ford/Fiat/Suzuki/Alfa Romeo and, currently, BMW.
    He rates Alfa and BMW as the best he's worked for, as there seem to be far fewer time wasters.
    If anyone walks into an Alfa/BMW dealer, chances are they are buying.
    Ford/Fiat/Suzuki catered for the more budget end of the market, so that's when he'd get people wasting his time, sometimes to the point they would get a deal agreed and then the person involved couldn't get any credit...:facepalm:

28. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    When we bought our Suzuki there was a local old guy that visited the dealership nearly on a daily basis just to look at this car over a period off 2-3 weeks. Considering it was only 1 of 3 pearl white sports in the country and you could no longer order white from the factory we went to look at the car with the intention of buying it. We turn up first thing in the morning and this old guy is standing by the car saying he's going to buy it. Salesman came out and we asked him what the deal was and he said first with the cash and its theirs, a quick test drive and we asked what his best price was and bought it. The old guy was not happy.

29. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Currently a Citroen sales exec but we are multi-franchised so i work in a dual showroom with Renault. We also have nissan, peugeot, dacia and honda within the group. I lost out to a BMW sales exec from another branch when i interviewed there a few months ago, next month i start at Fiat in a brand new showroom for probably more of the same as i'm getting now :facepalm:

30. depot

depot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Have you sold many Renault Twingo's, i've yet to see one on the roads