1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Independence Day - R2 DTS???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I purchased "Independence Day" on DVD which said at the back of the box that it has a DTS sountrack. However, when I played the disk at home, there was no such DTS option, just the Dolby Digital 5.1.

It's onw of those shops where the DVD boxes on the shelves are empty, and the disks get put in the box when you take it to the counter. Did the shop-assisant put the wrong disks in the box (old release DVD with no DTS), or was it a misprint on the box and the disk isn't supposed to have a DTS option?

If it's the case of the shop assistant putting the wrong disks in the box, how does he identify which is the correct disk to give me? I'm guessing he got the old-released disks mixed up with newly released.

Thanks.

2. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I think a friend of mine bought this, I will ask him and let you know.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    there was a similar thread regarding this DVD a while back, and it seems a lot, if not all the copies have the wrong discs! see if you can find the trailer for a day after tomorrow that's supposed to be on there, chances are you won't be able to..

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies.

I can't find the thread regarding the known problem with the ID4 disks. Mine definately doesn't have the "Day After Tomorrow" trailer in disk 1, even though the box states it should be there.

Do you know if the labelling on the disk itself was wrong too? ie when I ask the person at the shop to check if he has the correct disk to give me, is there a difference in the picture printed on the disk itself, so he can pick out the correct disk from the incorrect disk?

Thanks.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They have put the wrong disc in the box, its happened to several people. Take it back. Fortunately it didnt happen to me, you should have the DTS audio option and the trailer if its the correct disc :thumbsup:

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,182
    An easy way to tell the difference is to look at the BBFC logo, you will notice the one on the slipcase is different to the one on the DVD case, the same goes for the BBFC logo on the discs, the logo on Disc 2 is the old type of logo but on Disc 1 it is the new logo, if the logo on Disc 1 is the same as on Disc 2 then it is the original release with no DTS.

7. neilos70

neilos70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    dr rock...
    i had the same happen when i bought from cdwow. They said there was a batch of faulty discs and refunded me.

hope this helps.

8. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to the shop I bought the DVD from, and they are offering me a refund. However, if I buy another copy with the money-back, then there's no guarantee that my new copy will have the correct disk until I take it home and try it out.

Does anyone know if I can send my DVD to 20th Century Fox, and they can do an exchange with what they know is the correct disk? Otherwise I will be running around in circles if I have to keep getting replacements from the shops and returning them until I finally come across a package with the correct DTS disk.

Thanks.

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,182
    You can tell if you have the new version without playing it by looking at the BBFC logo like I said. Just buy it, open it up and check that the logo is different, if it isnt then tell them you want your money back as its not the correct disc and they shouldnt have a problem.

10. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just now spoken to customer enquires at Fox about the issue. They said if I send them back the disk to their Freepost address, they'll replace it with the correct one.

I forgot to ask them, are the "Disk-2" the same for both releases? I wondered if I should be sending that back as well.

Thanks.

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,182
    Yep its the original Disc 2 which is why the BBFC logo on it is the older type logo, the Cover Art is also the original. Even though it now comes in a slipcase with the updated specs the cover art inside still talks about the Disc containing both the Original and Special Edition versions of the film even though the new release with DTS only has the Special Edition version of the film, no original version.

12. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between the original version of the film and the special edition version ?

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,182
    The Special Edition has 8 minutes more footage than the theatrical version but its nothing that really adds to the story like The Abyss Special Edition did.