Independence Day R2 (dts) Review!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member

Secretly released by Fox under our noses, we take a look at the ID4 re-release featuring a DTS soundtrack and Sneek Peeks for the director's new film. Marketing ploy anyone?
Read the review Here

Matt Horne

Thanks for the review... I thought there was also a 20 mins behind the scenes of the day after tomorrow... is the 2 min preview all there is ?

Cheers

Matt

CLH

RE: picture quality. The packaging claims the film has been cleaned up. Is that claim made on the original release or is this actually a new master??

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
It's not a new master, it is identical to the two disc it replaces.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
The Sneek Peek is just that, 2minutes long I'm afraid.

Indiana Jones

The original release used Seamless Branching to put the Original and Extended versions of the film on the same disc, does this release also do that or is it just one version of the film?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
The disc only contains the extended version, no seamless branching.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
It is clearly a PR exercise by Fox to promote "The Day After Tomorrow" and nothing more. It looks identical to the previous R2 edition and the R1 Five Star, both which i own.

I will do some grabs.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Ok. not overly scientific, but here are some grabs from all three versions, The New DTS edition R2, The previous SE R2 Edition and the R1 Five Star.

R2 DTS SE

R2 SE

R1 5 Star

And my favourite screen grab,

R2 DTS SE

R2 SE

R1 5 Star

CLH

Those screenshots appear to confirm something I noticed yesterday.

The colours on the new one have been upped in some way.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Colours on the two R2's are the same, the R1 has a slight green tinge.

CLH

Originally posted by THX 1138
Colours on the two R2's are the same, the R1 has a slight green tinge.
There was certainly a difference in the colour between R1 and R2 as you say.

I don't have the old R2 to compare.

However those screenshots above appear to indicate a different looking picture between the R2's.

Indiana Jones

Does anyone know if any websites apart from HMV will be stocking the re-release as I have contacted a few sites and the ones that have replied are saying the version of Independence Day they are doing as BOGOF is the original release.

Bender

Standard Member
Take a look at www.pricestorm.com The cover picture looks like the new re-release, but it does say release date 2001.

It's £8.99 with no mention of the BOGOF deal. They are showing out of stock at the moment, but it might be worth asking them.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Originally posted by C_B
Those screen grabs look identical to me...
The two R2 are, the us has a slight colour shift but resolves the same details.