1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indecision re. screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Underscore, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm in two minds. I currently have a 5' Draper Luma screen which, since I first installed it (level and not near a source of heat), has had major ripples. Talking to the supplier, they are happy to replace it or to credit it's value against a DVD player (e.g. Philips 963SA :D) so I have two choices:
    • Get a replacement screen, which will probably be fine
    • Make my own screen using MDF, Dulux Once matt white emulsion and blackboard paint.
    What are other people's experience of the Luma screens and home-made screens? Which route would you suggest?

TIA,

_

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Quite a few of us on here have made frames and stretched blackout cloth over them.

It's cheap and does a good job. In my case it was a stop gap until I got a better screen, but it does such a good job, I've not upgraded it in over two years now.

If you need higher than unity gain, a proper screen with appropriate material will be needed, but if you want a less than unity grey screen, you can paint the home made one.

You could always go the Screen Goo route for approx $100 and get the best painted screen for your money - www.goosystems.com

Gary.