Incredibles 2 Review & Comments

Wedlock

It's a very good movie as far as I am concerned, i was entertained from beginning till the end so for me I would go with a 9 instead of Cas' 8.

Will buy this when the 4k disc comes out

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Watched this in Superscreen (4K with Dolby Atmos) last night and also thought it was highly enjoyable.

As was the short that was shown as an appetiser :D

big boss

Planning to watch this today in 4DX, taking my 4 year old as well.

tman

The first Incredibles is definitely one of my favourite animated movies of all time (along with Megamind, which is just sublime). Looking forward to seeing this immensely.

Gordon2147

Standard Member
Hi Cas

Thanks for the review, watched this yesterday and your review is spot on. Personally I really enjoyed the antics the team got up to and pretty much ignored the social commentary in the script, but I do that anyway with films like this, as I just settle for being entertained and Jack Jack is great entertainment.

I am hoping for a couple more installments from the franchise and I think a couple of new characters will help.

All in all a no brainer for anyone who watches these animations, I am off to watch again during the week, as I can't wait for the disc release.

Thanks

Gordon

big boss

Planning to watch this today in 4DX, taking my 4 year old as well.
Great film!! A fitting sequel!!! Few laugh out loud moments, my son got a bit bored in the middle but enjoyed it overall!!!

Evinger

Thanks yet again for a great review Cas - definitely on my watch asap list!

nobby

saw this over the weekend and enjoyed it. loved the 1st installment and this carries on the mantle. very good indeed

Ripsnorter

Waited 14 years for this and... rather disappointed, I'm afraid. Fantastic animation, absolute state of the art, as the film never tires of showing off whilst putting the narrative on hold, again. Every box has been ticked but what is missing, in so much of its overlong running time (Parents with younger children should take heed), are the humour and charm that made the original film so appealing: audience reaction was muted, at best. And within the showboating and grandstanding of the animation ("Say, let's swing the camera around the indoor fountain AGAIN!"), box ticking, and not to forget the social and sexual politicking and virtue signalling that are now obligatory, simple things like plot and characterisation go amiss. I failed to pick up on why the villain is doing what they do! I asked a couple of people afterwards, just in case I had blinked and missed it, but no! They didn't really grasp that either! And the same with the, for me, overly manipulative short at the beginning. Appeal to China by all mean, but what was it actually about? If anyone here can put me straight on these two, many thanks. So whilst I have revisited The Incredibles many times, this film is a one time only for me and I'm hoping the new Hotel Transylvania will give me the animated yucks I'm looking for.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Waited 14 years for this and... rather disappointed, I'm afraid. Fantastic animation, absolute state of the art, as the film never tires of showing off whilst putting the narrative on hold, again. Every box has been ticked but what is missing, in so much of its overlong running time (Parents with younger children should take heed), are the humour and charm that made the original film so appealing: audience reaction was muted, at best. And within the showboating and grandstanding of the animation ("Say, let's swing the camera around the indoor fountain AGAIN!"), box ticking, and not to forget the social and sexual politicking and virtue signalling that are now obligatory, simple things like plot and characterisation go amiss. I failed to pick up on why the villain is doing what they do! I asked a couple of people afterwards, just in case I had blinked and missed it, but no! They didn't really grasp that either! And the same with the, for me, overly manipulative short at the beginning. Appeal to China by all mean, but what was it actually about? If anyone here can put me straight on these two, many thanks. So whilst I have revisited The Incredibles many times, this film is a one time only for me and I'm hoping the new Hotel Transylvania will give me the animated yucks I'm looking for.
The short was about how unbearably hard it is to let go
of your child after having nurtured them and protected them through to adulthood
. I thought it was exquisite.

But I agree that the villain's motivations were tenuous at best in Incredibles 2 but, then again, it was far more than that thankfully, and it's hardly a fault that isn't shared by plenty of Disney/Pixar/Marvel productions.

Ripsnorter

The short was about how unbearably hard it is to let go
of your child after having nurtured them and protected them through to adulthood
. I thought it was exquisite.

But I agree that the villain's motivations were tenuous at best in Incredibles 2 but, then again, it was far more than that thankfully, and it's hardly a fault that isn't shared by plenty of Disney/Pixar/Marvel productions.
I got the message of the short, and it is an exquisite film, but as soon as I can figure out how the Hide A Spoiler function works then I'd like to know if ... How does it work?

Villains are easy: they want to get revenge, take over the world, steal loads of money, wear a great outfit, have the best snark, and so on. If anything, they are up there front and centre, but here motivations get buried in all the other stuff, whether it be another overwrought chase/potential disaster scene or Mr. Incredible's supposed lack of parenting skills. Seriously: I have not once encountered a father among my acquaintances who has come close to the Hollywood postulated levels of semi-adequacy! Okay, the kids don't have superpowers but they are still little monsters!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I got the message of the short, and it is an exquisite film, but as soon as I can figure out how the Hide A Spoiler function works then I'd like to know if ... How does it work?

Villains are easy: they want to get revenge, take over the world, steal loads of money, wear a great outfit, have the best snark, and so on. If anything, they are up there front and centre, but here motivations get buried in all the other stuff, whether it be another overwrought chase/potential disaster scene or Mr. Incredible's supposed lack of parenting skills. Seriously: I have not once encountered a father among my acquaintances who has come close to the Hollywood postulated levels of semi-adequacy! Okay, the kids don't have superpowers but they are still little monsters!
Where did you get that from? I thought the film did a great job of showing the strength of Mr Incredible's parenting skills. He struggles, sure, but not once is he shown to be inadequate. Quite the opposite. The film is to show that good parents are basically superheroes. Its easy to see Helen getting the spotlight and concluding that 'there's a feminist agenda' but that's not what the film is about at all.

Villain motivation was
to destroy public confidence in superheroes after they failed to save her parents; as well as to attack the concept of dependence.
Weaker motivations than syndrome, for sure, but I thought it was fairly clear. Screenslaver's broadcast monologue was brilliant I thought and a jab at social media among other things.

Ripsnorter

Where did you get that from? I thought the film did a great job of showing the strength of Mr Incredible's parenting skills. He struggles, sure, but not once is he shown to be inadequate. Quite the opposite. The film is to show that good parents are basically superheroes. Its easy to see Helen getting the spotlight and concluding that 'there's a feminist agenda' but that's not what the film is about at all.

Villain motivation was
to destroy public confidence in superheroes after they failed to save her parents; as well as to attack the concept of dependence.
Weaker motivations than syndrome, for sure, but I thought it was fairly clear. Screenslaver's broadcast monologue was brilliant I thought and a jab at social media among other things.
We go through all the clichés of struggling father first - doesn't understand his son's homework, teenage daughter acting up, how best to deal with the baby (admittedly one with very nascent and uncontrollable super powers) beforehand.

Thanks for the villain motivation explanation, I really did miss that and I was not the only one.

I think the film would be better for being shorter and upping the humour content. Just as an example

we get the whole Underminer sequence at the beginning, all Sturm and Drang, brilliantly animated and then it's dropped

Wedlock

pfff people over-analyze movies WAY to much....they are what they are , just entertainment nothing more.
Look at the forums like those on blu-ray.com.....everything gets picked at....Story, No Imax sequences, bad sound, aspect ratio's, resolutions, film grain and on and on for pages on end.
Why not enjoy it for what it is and if you like what you see great, if not on to the next movie.

Ripsnorter

pfff people over-analyze movies WAY to much....they are what they are , just entertainment nothing more.
Look at the forums like those on blu-ray.com.....everything gets picked at....Story, No Imax sequences, bad sound, aspect ratio's, resolutions, film grain and on and on for pages on end.
Why not enjoy it for what it is and if you like what you see great, if not on to the next movie.
True, but what we would have left to talk about here? ;)

ASatisfiedPasty

Yeah, screw people for having higher standards than myself.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
We go through all the clichés of struggling father first - doesn't understand his son's homework, teenage daughter acting up, how best to deal with the baby (admittedly one with very nascent and uncontrollable super powers) beforehand.

Thanks for the villain motivation explanation, I really did miss that and I was not the only one.

I think the film would be better for being shorter and upping the humour content. Just as an example

we get the whole Underminer sequence at the beginning, all Sturm and Drang, brilliantly animated and then it's dropped
Cliches for a reason. As a dad I related to Mr I's struggles pretty well. I too get frustrated with my son's homework when the methods are different from what I remember (we both looked at each other and smiled in that sequence :)). The lack of sleep, the daughter acting up, the school pressures. It can be exhausting for parents (mums and dads) but Mr Incredible nails it. He wasn't shown to be incompetent and doesn't ever say "I cant do this, come back Helen". He gets frazzled but comes through. I thought it was lovely to see how he steps up and does the very best job he can (which is all any of us can ever do).

I think the film would be better for being shorter and upping the humour content.
You say that, but plenty of animated movies coast along just on humour while having nothing to say. I prefer a bit of depth which is why Pixar stand out. There's so many themes going on in the two Incredibles films that I'm often in awe. How often do we complain about lack of depth in modern blockbusters?

Wedlock

Really ? didn't know that :rolleyes:

You can discuss a movie and then there is analyzing it to death , and that's what's happening on these forums a lot nowadays.....
But no problem you discuss the hell out of it and i'll enjoy some more movies :clap: