Incredibles 2 Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,984
      • Thanks Thanks x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,043
      Thanks for the review Cas,caught the first one again on 4K UHD,so looking forward to this :)

3. Wedlock

Wedlock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      It's a very good movie as far as I am concerned, i was entertained from beginning till the end so for me I would go with a 9 instead of Cas' 8.

Will buy this when the 4k disc comes out

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,807
      Watched this in Superscreen (4K with Dolby Atmos) last night and also thought it was highly enjoyable.

As was the short that was shown as an appetiser :D

Disney•Pixar's "Bao" Clip...

5. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +491
      I have just watched this. I really enjoyed it.

6. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +60
      Saw this at a Dolby cinema, thought the sound effects With jack jack were exceptional.

Kevin

7. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +348
      Planning to watch this today in 4DX, taking my 4 year old as well.

8. tman

tman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +175
      The first Incredibles is definitely one of my favourite animated movies of all time (along with Megamind, which is just sublime). Looking forward to seeing this immensely.

9. Gordon2147

Gordon2147
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Hi Cas

Thanks for the review, watched this yesterday and your review is spot on. Personally I really enjoyed the antics the team got up to and pretty much ignored the social commentary in the script, but I do that anyway with films like this, as I just settle for being entertained and Jack Jack is great entertainment.

I am hoping for a couple more installments from the franchise and I think a couple of new characters will help.

All in all a no brainer for anyone who watches these animations, I am off to watch again during the week, as I can't wait for the disc release.

Thanks

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    10. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,807
    11. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +348
      Great film!! A fitting sequel!!! Few laugh out loud moments, my son got a bit bored in the middle but enjoyed it overall!!!

12. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +22,396
      i can see that, does not feel like a film for small kids, at times very talkie with grown up dialogue

13. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +233
      Thanks yet again for a great review Cas - definitely on my watch asap list!

14. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +141
      saw this over the weekend and enjoyed it. loved the 1st installment and this carries on the mantle. very good indeed

15. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      Waited 14 years for this and... rather disappointed, I'm afraid. Fantastic animation, absolute state of the art, as the film never tires of showing off whilst putting the narrative on hold, again. Every box has been ticked but what is missing, in so much of its overlong running time (Parents with younger children should take heed), are the humour and charm that made the original film so appealing: audience reaction was muted, at best. And within the showboating and grandstanding of the animation ("Say, let's swing the camera around the indoor fountain AGAIN!"), box ticking, and not to forget the social and sexual politicking and virtue signalling that are now obligatory, simple things like plot and characterisation go amiss. I failed to pick up on why the villain is doing what they do! I asked a couple of people afterwards, just in case I had blinked and missed it, but no! They didn't really grasp that either! And the same with the, for me, overly manipulative short at the beginning. Appeal to China by all mean, but what was it actually about? If anyone here can put me straight on these two, many thanks. So whilst I have revisited The Incredibles many times, this film is a one time only for me and I'm hoping the new Hotel Transylvania will give me the animated yucks I'm looking for.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    16. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,984
      The short was about how unbearably hard it is to let go
      of your child after having nurtured them and protected them through to adulthood
      . I thought it was exquisite.

But I agree that the villain's motivations were tenuous at best in Incredibles 2 but, then again, it was far more than that thankfully, and it's hardly a fault that isn't shared by plenty of Disney/Pixar/Marvel productions.

17. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      I got the message of the short, and it is an exquisite film, but as soon as I can figure out how the Hide A Spoiler function works then I'd like to know if ... How does it work?

Villains are easy: they want to get revenge, take over the world, steal loads of money, wear a great outfit, have the best snark, and so on. If anything, they are up there front and centre, but here motivations get buried in all the other stuff, whether it be another overwrought chase/potential disaster scene or Mr. Incredible's supposed lack of parenting skills. Seriously: I have not once encountered a father among my acquaintances who has come close to the Hollywood postulated levels of semi-adequacy! Okay, the kids don't have superpowers but they are still little monsters!

18. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,899
      Where did you get that from? I thought the film did a great job of showing the strength of Mr Incredible's parenting skills. He struggles, sure, but not once is he shown to be inadequate. Quite the opposite. The film is to show that good parents are basically superheroes. Its easy to see Helen getting the spotlight and concluding that 'there's a feminist agenda' but that's not what the film is about at all.

Villain motivation was
      to destroy public confidence in superheroes after they failed to save her parents; as well as to attack the concept of dependence.
      Weaker motivations than syndrome, for sure, but I thought it was fairly clear. Screenslaver's broadcast monologue was brilliant I thought and a jab at social media among other things.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    19. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      We go through all the clichés of struggling father first - doesn't understand his son's homework, teenage daughter acting up, how best to deal with the baby (admittedly one with very nascent and uncontrollable super powers) beforehand.

Thanks for the villain motivation explanation, I really did miss that and I was not the only one.

I think the film would be better for being shorter and upping the humour content. Just as an example

we get the whole Underminer sequence at the beginning, all Sturm and Drang, brilliantly animated and then it's dropped

20. Wedlock

Wedlock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      pfff people over-analyze movies WAY to much....they are what they are , just entertainment nothing more.
      Look at the forums like those on blu-ray.com.....everything gets picked at....Story, No Imax sequences, bad sound, aspect ratio's, resolutions, film grain and on and on for pages on end.
      Why not enjoy it for what it is and if you like what you see great, if not on to the next movie.

21. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      True, but what we would have left to talk about here? ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    22. ASatisfiedPasty

ASatisfiedPasty

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +310
      Yeah, screw people for having higher standards than myself.

23. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,899
      Cliches for a reason. As a dad I related to Mr I's struggles pretty well. I too get frustrated with my son's homework when the methods are different from what I remember (we both looked at each other and smiled in that sequence :)). The lack of sleep, the daughter acting up, the school pressures. It can be exhausting for parents (mums and dads) but Mr Incredible nails it. He wasn't shown to be incompetent and doesn't ever say "I cant do this, come back Helen". He gets frazzled but comes through. I thought it was lovely to see how he steps up and does the very best job he can (which is all any of us can ever do).

You say that, but plenty of animated movies coast along just on humour while having nothing to say. I prefer a bit of depth which is why Pixar stand out. There's so many themes going on in the two Incredibles films that I'm often in awe. How often do we complain about lack of depth in modern blockbusters?

24. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,899
      It's almost as though people think this is some kind of forum for discussing movies.

25. Wedlock

Wedlock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      Really ? didn't know that :rolleyes:

You can discuss a movie and then there is analyzing it to death , and that's what's happening on these forums a lot nowadays.....
      But no problem you discuss the hell out of it and i'll enjoy some more movies :clap:

26. greycounciller

greycounciller

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +31

THANKS, I wasn't completely happy with this sequel. Felt the 1st one should've remained the 1 off classic that it was. To me, it was a classic "Bond/Spy Thriller" for kids and still is extremely enjoyable to watch.
      This episode seemed to be a lot of box ticking with a very predictable outcome.
      There were a few humorous moments, though my audience was muted somewhat.
      Sound, picture and animation are state of the art, as expected.
      But throughout the whole film, I was left with one puzzling thought which I thought would be answered
      "The Underminer" was where the 1st film and this one joined, but he was just a 5 minute introduction and then he simply......."got away". It then went straight into the new story and just had me thinking all the way through, why? "Frozones" character didn't sit right with me and "Void" just reminded me of Marvels Dr Strange. So maybe that was the problem for me. This film reminded me of too many others.

27. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      Brad Bird said he refused to do a sequel until he was sure he could make it better than the original: historians will argue this one, although we got there first ;). I don't regret having seen it and, obviously, I fell victim to my own hopes and expectations as well.

As to
      "The Underminer" I can only speculate. Maybe they wanted to start with a big dramatic sequence, which is often the case these days, simply to get the audience's adrenaline flowing, and also tap into something from the first film. Maybe the production took a dramatic turn somewhere and that sequence was produced and it was a shame not to use it, as it were. No idea. But I agree: it was a great set up that went nowhere. Might we see the continuation in the next film? So far The Incredibles 2 has had a great opening and reviews so a third film would seem a given, just not in 14 years time though! "Frozone" was simple box ticking from the market research: audiences like him so given him more to say and do. "Void" struck me as original and I liked how they matched her personality to her superpowers, as well as integrated them both into the narrative, but you are right, the similarity with Dr. Strange did not go unnoticed. Yes, definitely more derivative than original.

28. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,899
      The Underminer
      is the 'Blofeld' of the Incredibles universe. He's the one who always escapes to fight another day. Maybe they'll take him down in another installment- doesn't matter. He wasn't the focus of the story. The opening scene (like many franchise films eg Bond, Indy) starts with a cool action scene unrelated to the rest of the film. I don't see either of those things as a 'flaw'.

And Dr Strange's powers were similar to Blink from X-Men Days of Future Past. And her powers were similar to the game 'Portal'. In the final analysis very few things can escape the charge of being 'derivative'.

The original was derivative as the Incredibles superpowers were basically the same as The Fantastic Four. Hardly a problem.

You're fixated on incidental details but missing the fact that this is a story about family. That's the aspect that's ultimately important.

29. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      You need to close the Spoiler otherwise you spoil it!! :eek:

I was replying to points raised directly by greycounciller and I wouldn't consider them "incidental". That's one heck of an opening sequence only to have it dropped totally. Not so much incidental but, you could argue, also irrelevant. The first film was also about family and did it much better.

30. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16,899
      Ever seen a Bond or Indiana Jones or Avengers film? They often start with an action scene that's separate from the main film. Its also not irrelevant as the action scene with
      The Underminer (specifically the damage caused)
      directly affects the plot. It's why
      Helen is chosen to represent the new wave of Supers, rather than Bob

I'm not sure what you mean by 'did it much better'. They aren't doing the same thing, but continuing the story. The family dynamics are different this time round.