1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incredible Electric Screen Deal!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil White, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having purchased a Tosh MT3 back in the summer for a little over £2,000 and experimented with homebrew roll down screens made from white blackout material I've been delighted with the result. The only problem being keeping the material absoulutely flat. I project from a distance of around 18' producing an image about 8' wide. This worked quite well considering it cost £30 as compared to over £1000 for a 'pro' screen!

However, I've just purchased an electric ceiling mounted 98" wide, pearlescent screen, retailing at over £1400 for £400 and it's brill! Want to know where from? - A company who manufacture screen materials for your local ODEON etc. - Harkness Hall (http://www.harknesshall.com/home.htm). Fascinating site - they're discounting the 'Miralyte Cosmopolitan' (92" x 69"). I'm now in 7th Heaven - Pearl Harbour last night was amazing! Hope the above is useful to someone and HH put me on commission!

Regards - SANTA!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    What gain is this screen?
    Cheers.
    Doug

3. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doug,

To be totally honest, and very 'un- anoraky', I'm not absolutely sure - other than to say - it's got some! It has a 'video spectra' surface, (white pearlescent beads) and produces great results even in low light conditions - cinematic with the lights down and the wife circulating with the Choc Ices!
    Harkness Hall list technical specifications with most of their products on their website. This screen is featured under 'AV Products'.

Phil

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Haven't heard of these before...sounds very good.
    The site seems to just list the full price...how did you get such a good deal and is it available on any of their other screens?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

5. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned them to enquire about buying screen material and in discussion they informed me about the Cosmo screens that they were discounting. Took 24 hrs mail order. Another friend has ordered and received his too! Give them a call if you're interested Ian - they are a large/professional firm.

Good luck!

6. ali

ali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW - the best deal I have is for a 153x200cm Electric screen from ProjectAVision for £460.

I don't know if these are any good, or bad either, but if I can get one from this place you did, then Id LOVE to know HOW.

7. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Website makes light of how "Screen sizes in excess of 7' x 7' (213 x 213cms) will have a horizontal seam which is undetectable under normal projection conditions," does this apply to your model (height is greater than 7', but width is not) and if so, is it really undetectable.

And (possibly really stupid Q, but I have never used a screen before so go easy on me) is it remote operated, as I would really like to operate it with a Pronto.

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For what it is worth Harkness hall are a huge company and deal mainly with screens in meters when we talk in feet. Most of their business is in the Cinema and big confernce world.

The screen sounds a steal. but with REAL gain of about 1.4 I would think it a bit high for lamped projectors and you may run the risk of hot spots and a hightening of blacks.

9. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly Happy New Year everyone!
    Picking up on a couple of comments/questions;
    If you 'phone Harkness Hall they will enlighten you re: exact price, availability, suitability and any ohter technical details - their number in the UK is 0208 953 3611.

The operation is from a 3 position (up/down/stop) mains switch cabled to wherever you want it. I'm sure it would be a relatively easy to make it remote although I probably won't bother myself.

The alledged seam is totally invisible and I've not got any 'hot spots' either!

Any other questions/comments are welcome - I thought I'd share what I think is a bargain - after all - I have to keep up with 'the missus' who has been to every sale this year this side of The Great Wall!:rolleyes:

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds suspiciously like Mr White works for Harkness!

Thought this kind of thing wasn't allowed on the forum.

Its always a new member and not a well known member that makes these amazing bargain discoveries and is kind enough to include all specs of equipment, business addresses, phone numbers and website addresses. HMMMM!!!......or am I just a cynical, paranoid git?!?!?!

11. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're absolutely right! Cynical is the word! - Your Xmas cheer and goodwill didn't last long. It's so good to see the New Year commencing with that enduring olde British sentiment - 'if it's good - we'll knock it'.

So Happy New Year to you mate, hope it brings you whatever you wish for yourself (enjoy the misery!)

Keep smiling everyone else - even tho' it's 'back to work'! (Just look at the plus side - if we didn't go to work, we wouldn't have any hols to enjoy!)

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos,
    With respect, I dont think so somehow. Salespeople are impatient on the whole and would not wait several posts for their pitch.
    Also, Harkness is in Herfordshire, Phil White is in Cardiff. Must be a long drive to work in the morning.

Phil,
    Thanks for sharing your bargain with us.

Eric

13. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I just managed to order one !

Don't forget to add the VAT and delivery, total cost around £480. Still a good deal as that lot would normally cost around £1700.

I believe they now only have one left so if you want one you will need to be quick.

Looks like I now have an 8 foot electric screen surplus to requirements !

Happy new year all ! :) :) :)

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recieved mine today , managed to get the last one, look,s like i will need a JCB to lift it into place;)

Mark.

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    They certainly have sold out of the 8 feet wide 'video spectra' screens :(

I was put on hold while someone went to check the stock, then the dreaded 'Sorry sold out'

The spec sounds like a Da-lite Cosmopolitan Electrol, so was a real bargain for the £400 +vat.

I still need an 8 feet wide 4x3 format screen, so if anyone has a spare one , I will buy either manual or electric.

Mark G.