Increasing storage on my media server.........

guv69

I've been using an old Dell PC as a media server for a few months (running WHS2003), but because its an IDE board, the storage has been on external USB drives. Obviously not the best way, but I was desperate to make a start! Its being used to serve numerous PCs in the house for movies and music, but also as general storage.

I realise I need to expand and remove the USB drives, so thought I'd invest in 4 x 2TB drives. I was looking to but an adaptec 6 port SATA drive and run Raid 5.

It now seems there are issues. Not even sure iif it can run 2TB drives, but it cant run large storage capacity as Raid 5. Soooooo.... really unsure on what to do for the best.

I didnt particularly want to spend too much more (4 x 2TB drives ain't cheap!)... but looks like I might need to! Not sure if there is a PCI card that will do what I need, or a new PC, or whats the better options.

Any advice appreciated.... Any further details needed... ask away.

TH3R4POR

Novice Member

guv69

Thanks for that, though still confused! (Definately would have prefered to be running WHS, its not a must I guess!) i'm not sure what your saying above! (You bought a 4 port card and a single 2TB drive but running raid 5?)

Anyway..... Just spotted these NAS boxes for £70 that hold 2 drives. I could use the drive it comes with elsewhere and then with 2 of these, hold the 4 x 2TB drives. Not sure if they can be used together or what the speeds will be like.

TH3R4POR

Novice Member
I was saying to check the maximum volume size of the card you were buying as I only checked at the last minute as I didn't think that would be an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom