Answered Increasing stability

Mr Andy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always been a bit concerned that my speakers could get knocked over if people are round. They are Tannoy Signature Revolutions, which don't have a plinth and being curved have a small footprint. In addition to wondering if I should isolate rather than couple now that they are in a bedroom instead on a concrete floor I'm wondering if I could add some weight/increase the foot print to protect them. I figured it would also mean something may also protect the finish if things catch said plinth instead of the speakers (e.g. vacuum cleaner). Has anyone done this? Granite might look nice while adding heft without height but may be difficult/expensive.

Photo of the Signature Revolution DC6T -

Discontinued Tannoy Revolution Signature Dc6T Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

What are the floors in the room with the speakers? By that I mean, carpet, rug, wood, tile, etc...?

The cheapest granite you can buy is a granite Cutting Board for the kitchen. These run about £10, and are easily available for common general merchandise or kitchen supply stores. Though, there are a limited choice of sizes. But if you can find one big enough to put under your speakers, this could have some advantage under some circumstances.

If you have wood floors, you will probably want to put something under the Granite to keep it from scratching the floors. You can get sheet Felt from Hobby/Craft/Fabric store that are self-adhesive. Also you can get a bit thicker felt from Building Supply stores - Dots, Squares, Sheets, ..... These are also self-adhesive.

You can by large Floor/Wall Tiles at places that sell this kind of product. The tiles would likely be 16" x16" tough I think I might have seen 16" x24" or 18" x 18". Most places that sell this type of tile can also cut the tile down to the specific size you need.

As to Outriggers, there are some people who make these. They attached under the speakers to the holes where the Spikes are installed. You then move the Spikes to the wider outriggers.

speaker outrigger - Google Search

Steve/bluewizard

Here is an example of someone who made their own Outriggers out of wood -

Legacies are Breaking In - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Again, they would be attach to the speaker using the threaded hole that the Spikes are typically mounted to, and the Spikes or new Spikes would be moved to the Outriggers.

Obviously wooden Outriggers are going to need to be thicker than plate steel/aluminum Outriggers.

Balancing new M80's | Advice from Axiom Owners - Axiom Message Boards

Photo by Mark Johnson

Here is someone who have made their own Outriggers, attached them to a block of wood, then the speakers are just set on the block of wood.

Inexpensive set of outriggers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

http://cdn.avsforum.com/2/27/27cb55ed_vbattach183677.jpeg

You are generally only limited by the products that you can find that are available to you, and by your own imagination.

Steve/bluewizard

You have "people round" in your bedroom engaging in activities likely to knock speakers over? :eek:

I don't think there is really an easy answer, other to move position away from doors and where people might collide with them, if a lot of people around.

As to hoovers, you just have to be careful. When I see used pairs the chips and dents tend to be low down near the floor, where people aren't careful enough to stop bashing them with the hoover.

If you move them temporarily it probably doesn't matter too much that they are not perfectly placed for best sound as you will be chatting etc.

Using wider riggers could be the answer to stop them toppling but this has never happened to me in many years and I think these riggers are probably overkill as if you want to topple a speaker in an accident you could do it regardless of the spacing. Extra spacing by riggers will make them look stupid too, so will carpet tiles on hard floors

If you've a thick pile carpet adding little washer cups can give a bit more stability I've found. But the answer is just to be careful. You have to run at mine for them to go over eg an uncareful child, as a small knock would just bring them back to where they are.

What are the floors in the room with the speakers? By that I mean, carpet, rug, wood, tile, etc...?
speaker outrigger - Google Search

Steve/bluewizard
Carpet (upstairs so it's over floorboards rather than concrete)
Outriggers was the key word I was missing.

You have "people round" in your bedroom engaging in activities likely to knock speakers over? :eek:
I should have been more clear, it's a dedicated(ish) room. In my last house they were in the lounge and while they have never been damaged I have had to firmly remind people to pull the chair away from them. The other day someone did catch them picking something up and knocked the grill off.

I had thought about the granite worktop savers, then wondered if it would be beneficial and practical to bolt the speaker to the granite so that's working as the outrigger. I'd guess the cost would be fairly high though.

I really can't conceive how an adult in full possession of their faculties could possibly knock over a speaker. Are these individuals intoxicated in some way or do they just not care?

Either way you're probably better off picking up a pair of PA speakers for when the oafs visit & keep the Tannoys for your own listening.

It's entirely possible I'm just being paranoid. I do like the look of speaker plinths though so standing them on bits of granite may still happen.

Make them pay a returnable speaker deposit on entering the room.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom