1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing R1 prices

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by James, Sep 12, 2000.

1. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you who don't necessarily follow these things, be warned - the price of US discs is looking less and less attractive because the pound is now at its lowest point against the dollar for seven years.

Six months ago, you would have been getting exchange rates of around $1.6 to £1 - now some credit cards will be translating your purchases for as little as $1.37 to £1.

It may not seem like much, but a $20 disc will cost around £2 more than it did earlier in the year.

My advice is use DVDPriceSearch.com, and check out the equivalent £ price (it'll work it out for you) - Movietyme or Play will begin to look like more and more of a bargain.

[This message has been edited by James (edited 12-09-2000).]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the decreasing $ value is shocking.

All my recent purchases have been over £16nett each, which is extraordinary when I look back 1 year and I was getting my DVDs from Reel for £12-14nett.

All very sad, but good news for 'UK' suppliers.

------------------
    Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

www.aphasedplasmarifleina40wattrange.com

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

3. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, unfortunately the £ has hit a 14 year low today of $1.39. However don't think that Movietyme or Play won't also have to raise their prices. Their profit margins will be squeezed and I don't see them taking the loss themselves for long.......

Price search is excellent though. DVD Box Office always seems to come out on top though due to the lack of P&P costs.

4. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been involved in a thread over at DVDTimes on the same subject. Seems that the Canadian dollar is not fairing much better, However the Australian dollar is still a good option for us Brits if you can get the title you want on Region 4.

Hard times ahead me thinks.

------------------
    Have you always been this stupid or did you take lessons.

I TOOK LESSONS!

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but ...
    Will it make any difference to buy from the Canadian etailers like dvdboxoffice as you can ask for purchases to be sourced as Canadian funds or US dollars ? Paul ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ozzy, ozzy, ozzy! Oi, oi, oi! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Neildo (edited 14-09-2000).]