increased RAM from 512 to 2GB but pc is no quicker!!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by fizzgog, Sep 16, 2007.

1. fizzgog

fizzgog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    hi guys, i could do with some advice. i have a dell dimension 2400 which had 512mb of ddr ram. i purchased 2gb (2x1gb) of compatible crucial ram and have installed it. however there is no noticeable performance increase on my pc.

i have ran all my spyware, antivirus and cleanup software but that is no help either. it still takes quite a long time to boot up and is generally slow. i was expecting quite a leap in performace once i upped the RAM.

what am i missing? i am running XP
    sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
    thanks for any help
    pete

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Depends what software you are using to compare speeds. If you do photoshop editing and video editing the speed increase will be very noticeable. If all you do is bit torrents and web browsing then you will not notice.

Most games produced in the last 18 months will benefit immensely in load times.

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    ram will only help speed up your machine if you are running a memory hungry app or open several applications at the same time

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    WinXP is of course a memory hungry app all by itself! Even the lightest user should see some improvement going 512mb->1gb, not so much above that.

Most common problem is disk fragmentation, especially swap file fragmentation. WinXP will use the swapfile continously however much RAM you install. Simple lack of space on the boot drive can also cause extreme slowdowns, WinXP seems to need 6-10gb of free space on an NTFS boot drive or it starts to get sluggish - I guess its all those temp files in constant use getting fragged.

With 2Gb its practical to run with no virtual memory, with care. Disable virtual memory under System/Properties/Advanced/Advanced/Paging File, defrag the boot drive then restart and see if speed improves. Don't thrash the machine in this state, it crashes badly if you do run out of RAM. If you see an improvement you can either re-enable the paging file, hopefully now defragged, and things should stay improved. It helps to lock the paging file down to a fixed size, that stops it fragmenting again. Or you can live dangerously without paging ;)

5. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Good advice.

Another tip with pagin file is if you have a 2nd HDD installed for data, partition this and create a logical drive for the paging file separate.

I have 2x512Mb RAM installed, smallish fixed paging file on OS drive. 2.5Gb fixed on data HDD (Partitioned). With the partition TWICE as big as the paging file, i.e. 5Gb.

Performance wise, I never seem to notice any slowdowns...

6. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    did you need all that memory in the first place?

When xp has loaded what does the amount of memory used say in task manager?

Then when you open your apps what does it say?

I'd be very suprised if you needed 2gb for anything but the memory intensive apps like picture/viedo editing etc etc.

Maybe the bottleneck is somewhere else, what is the rest of the spec of your machine?

7. Xerstead

Xerstead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you've had the PC for a wile it'll prob be bogged own with other stuff as well. Run defrag/Disk clean up and also check out Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ I noticed an improvement after it cleared out 2 years of junk from my temp files/registry.
    You may not notice a huge improvement, but drop back to 512 in a few weeks and you will.

8. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Defrag the paging file while your at it.