Increased house sale costs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stevec46, Apr 18, 2007.

1. stevec46

stevec46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last night I received some details on some properties, on the back of the pack was information about 'Home Information Pack' see:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A2629082

What do we think good or bad?

If it speeds up the process then good, the fact that it costs money and may make you pay out for things..not good.

Steve

2. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think it will be come to be recognised as a good thing after a couple of years. My concern is why the hell it would cost that much. I've read that even with all that info in it, the buyer will still be required to carry out his own searches, ie surveyors, land registry and drainage. This seems quite bizzarre. Ithink a vast majority of people can walk into a property and tell the general condition of the property. Most damp is easy to spot and if not then a surveyor would pick it up. Look in the loft to see if thats insulated. All seems a little too expensive.

The whole draft thing is farcical. All new houses have to adhere tocertain draft tests; yet a large percentage don't. However the Government do not enforce this. There was a program about this a couple of weeks ago (I'll look for a link in a bit) I think this is a tad wrong.

I live in an uninsulated end terrace house dating back to 1890 and I'm about to stick it on the market.:( :(

3. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    If the surveyor is working for me as opposed to the buyer then this could be good as he might be 'persuaded' to forget to mention certain 'features' of my house in his report :devil:

On the whole I think it's a good thing. But will take a little while to iron out.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,723
    It will hopefully stop or severely reduce the number of people who put their house on the market to see how much it is worth with little or no intention of actually selling it.

Dave

5. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Whilst I agree in principle that something needs to be done to speed up the process of buying/selling a house to expect the seller to fork out anywhere between £700 to £800 before they put their house on the market is ludicrous.
    For me personally I don't have that kind of money to hand which would mean me delaying putting the house up for sale until I raised the money

I wish the government would cast their eye of remortgage fees now theirs a rip off if every I saw one.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I'm sure I read the other day that there was a £200 fixed penalty for not providing a HIP . Hmmmm , £200 fixed pen or £800 pack . Let me think .

John

7. stevec46

stevec46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thing is if you don't have one, I guess people will not buy until you do have one as they will be suspicious.

Also,is the idea of this to replace surveys, so you have this done and have any work done that is required, people come to see the house don't need a survey cos its in the report, that would encourage buyers, thing is would buyers still want independent survey to ensure there wasn't a back hander somewhere?

Steve

8. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don't you just have to get 3 estate agents out to get a fair idea what your property is worth?

9. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I imagine it won't be long before an estate agent or solicitor starts offering to sort all this out for you (for a fee of course) then the cost of the pack comes out of the sale price. If they're not doing so already.

10. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This is just another example of this interfering government sticking their noses into something that has nothing to do with them.

The sale of a private house to a private buyer is nothing to do with the government.

Who in their right mind will not want to get their own survey done, rendering the sellers to be completely useless. This is just another stealth tax pretending to be something beneficial.

When has this useless government ever done anything which could be classed as beneficial.:( :(

There is an easy solution, everyone should refuse to have anything to do with them, that is the way to treat this nonsense.

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,359
    Hhmm biased and bent surveyors...don't think so...Do you realise the liability they open themselves up to when they haven't found something that they should have done....

No this is a good thing for buyers as sellers will need to get their act together and either fix it or be open about the not so good points of their house....

I'm loving it, bring it on....

12. stevec46

stevec46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But is the report valid only for a certain amount of time? I thought a survey was valid for about 3 months (athough that does seem rather short), I suppose its a case of, thinks could change in 6 months, so would need to have another look, but that would just be another way of getting more money out of you.

Steve

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,359
    Haven't seen one yet so wouldn't know, but yes that is a very important point. You may see it as yet another way of getting more money out of you, I see it as a better opportunity to sell....Which one do you think a buyer goes for, one with a recent or updated Home Condition Report as part of the pack, or one that is 12 months old!

I find it amazing how people think selling is 'free', there are always overheads, expenses involved with selling things....

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    It just changes which suryvey you pay for on the face of it....yes it increases cost of sale, but then you wouldn't need to have one done on your purchase I assume.
    The key thing will be trusting somebody elses survey and also what view a lender would take on that.

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I don't know either but that would be the logical way to go if we have to do this.

16. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Don't they surround themselves with weasel caveats, and word their reports in such a way that effectively makes them accountable for very little? Either way I want a surveyor to be be acting in my interests as a buyer, and would never rely on one who was commissioned by the seller.

17. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,359
    Sometimes the simple answers are staring us in the face :D From a trusting perspective, it is not someone elses survey. Currently a professionally qualified surveyor doesn't do it in your interest either, it is merely a statement of fact. And currently (nor in the future with the Home Condition Report) a full survey has no bearing on a valuation for a lender. In-fact the rules and regulations surrounding the HCR state that it is not a valuation.

That is your perogative....It seems like a lot of people on here have got no faith at all in surveyors and seems to think that you can tell them what to put and not to put in their reports....If that is the case and your experience you do realise that that is a very serious offence....

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    i quite agree but human nature being what it is there is little trust of anybody these days, sadly.

19. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I wasn't singling out surveyors - it's just that on principle alone I wouldn't rely on any information that was commissioned by someone whose interests may conflict with mine, however professional they may appear to be.

20. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,359
    Sorry I should have separate the second bit in my response...It wasn't directed personally....Hey I am with you, although like with everything it is a risk assesment isn't it....

For example a full survey (which this HCR as good as is) costs around £750 the last time I had it done....Mainly because it is not just the time to look around, it is also to pay for the time to write the actual report, for him/her to fiddle about with their digital camera (sorry I am imagining that bit) so they can download it and copy it in their report, and to print it out nice and glossy for you....

So first of all under the new 'rules' the HIP doesn't have to include a HCR...It is not mandatory....But let's say someone is selling an average priced property of £450k it would be wise to have one done anyway....So instead of you instructing you own surveyor as well, why not apply some common sense take a look together with the report...And if you have concerns ask a friendly builder along, worst case scenario that is going to cost you only about £200-£250 for a day to look and discuss and verify...Sure you won't get a glossy but at least it is verified by a real builder....Not just by a surveyor who does the majority but ALWAYS in a non-disruptive way i.e. they don't take up floors, carpets, don't move furniture etc....

Much cheaper for piece of mind on a big purchase than another survey as you don't have to check the mundane things, simply verify them.....

21. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    The survey for my house missed loads of stuff and the same for my friend, he's having to sort out a new drain for his kitchen waste because he's discovered that it currently goes to a soakaway under his patio, which is completely illegal apparently. The fact that the house is built on reclaimed land and has methane vents was also missed.

He's a chartered surveyor himself and freely admits that the quality of most home reports is very poor.

Surveyors spend a lot on insurance so that if any of their 'oversights' are ever highlighted they are covered.