Increase Wireless Range on Router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by meansizzler, Mar 29, 2006.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    No luck in General Chat forum so here goes... this is a copy of an email I have sent to Dlink, but maybe some of you have some ideas/guidance..

I have a DI-784 Router and would like to increase the range of it, the router is located on the first floor and I have very good reception on that floor but on the ground floor the reception in some parts of the house is pretty poor, I mean in the middle of the house on the ground floor the reception is great as I am located right under the router but as I move towards the end of the house the reception drops to nearly zero, I understand that the Antenna on the DI-784 is not upgradeable so what I need is Repeater, Since the wireless reception is so strong in the middle of the ground floor am I to understand that if I place one of these Repeater devices there it will pick up a strong signal therefore increasing the wireless range/coverage on the ground floor to pretty much all parts of the house, if so which Repeater would you recommend, I know the “DWL-7100AP” can function as a Repeater but I was also looking at the “DWL-8200AP” as it has upgradeable Antennas, but can it function as a Repeater to, also do you need these devices to be physically wired to the router for them to work as a “Repeater”, I would prefer them not to and how would you go about setting one of them up/managing it, can you manage the device wirelessly through an IP address or does it have to be connected directly to the router via Ethernet..

I will mainly be using the Wireless A network on the Repeater and will be Streaming Video as well as Online gaming through a games console “Xbox 360”, will there be much lag/delay when data is sent between the Games Console, Repeater and Router compared to being directly sent from the Games Console to Router..

Many Thanks

PS: Changing the Router is not an Option, as this is one of the Only Wireless A Routers that is Xbox live Certifed, anyway it's a great Router...

2. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about how you set it up and manage it - you must be able to, otherwise there'd be no point in even manufacturing it in the first instance! How you do it is academic at this stage.

If you're talking about sharing your XBOX around the house, then it is a lot slower by wireless, yes. However, on the Internet, it shouldn't be much (if any) slower/faster than usual.

You'll have to find the optimum position for increasing the range of your wireless network - there will be some overlap of the signal, of course. Think of it as a couple of circles (or spheres in your case). Make sure the repeater is within the sphere of influence of the master router, and it will create a new sphere around itself from there. There wouldn't be much point if you HAD to string an Ethernet cable from one box to the other - but it is probably possible to do that if you wish - as some networks could be set up to work over several physical locations that way.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I found a good spot to replace a repeater, it's directly on the floor beneath the router, get Full Signal Strength there, so should cover the whole of that floor, only troble is decing which device to get, on ebay I see a band New 7100AP going for £30, so am putting a bid in since these retail for £80 new...