Increase picture quality ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by PAUL RODGERS, Sep 27, 2003.

1. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EQUIPMENT

L&G MZ42PZ17 PLASMA
    DENON DVD 2900
    PIONEER VSXD2001 AMP
    MORDUANT SHORT THX SPEAKERS

QUESTION.

My plasma screen is not capable of accepting pal progressive scan and i would like to increase the quality of picture i get on my plasma. The picture quality is okay but we all know the cost of plasmas and at the time the L&G was the only one i could afford, the Denon 2900 has given me an extra dimension to the picture quality i get but i would like even better results ( DOES NOT EVERYBODY WHO IS IN TO HOME CINEMA). Is there anything i can buy to increase the quality (APART FROM A NEW PALSMA),

1. maybe an upgrade from L&G to enable pal prog

2. a seperate box the picture goes through to increase the quality

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR
    PREVIOUS HELP

2. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about a projector, a remote control screen which drops down in front of the plasma and some blackout curtains? what's your budget?

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cables (Power & Video) ?

4. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ask the question because i see other threads that i do not completely understand and i would like to.Firstly i see threads about iscan and on the advert for letropaks devices that turn your picture into a far superiour quality. Are they worth the money what do they do and would i notice the difference.I can not spend much more or the wife will finally flip as she finds it all a waste of money

THANKS

5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How long have you had the LG? If you are unhappy with the PQ and you bought it from Richer Sounds (where most people seem to get LG's) they may consider accepting it back in exchange against a different panel. Even if you didn't purchase from Richer Sounds, if you are very unhappy with it after only a week or two you should get the retailer involved. I think I've read threads from other members here sending LG displays back - and other makes too.

Can anyone confirm this for PAUL?

(sorry PAUL, I can't help having a dig about the caps lock ;) )

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

If you wanted to stick with your LG an option would be to feed all sources via a high quality external scaler, by passing the panels internal processing.

I am not familiar with LG. What resolution is your panel?, also what inputs to you have into the panel?

7. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul

Until today I waasn't overly unhappy with the picture on my LG. However I couldn't live with the constant flickering in low light scenes.

In my opinion if you can get it exchanged then do it. I've had my Panny 5 on the wall for 6 hours (exchanged by Richer Sounds) and have been blown away by the picture improvement such as red being red and skin tones looking like skin tones. I honestly believe that the LG panel is a case of you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps

Adrian

8. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tbrar, there wouldn't be a lot of point in PAUL using an external processor as he says his LG panel will not accept PAL prog signals. If he swaps panels for one which accepts a wider range of signals (like the Panasonic) he could at least go down the external processing route you suggest if he's still not satisfied.

9. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Andrew_B, I appreciate his panel doesnt accept a PAL progressive signal. However, what I am thinking is he *may* be able to feed the panel an alternative 'scaled' resolution picture at an alternative refresh rate if he went down the route of an external scaler, such as a HTPC.

What you are looking to do is fool the panel effectivly.

An example of where this type of approach by-passes limitations within a panel is with my Pioneer 433MXE DVI input. This is limited to a 480p/60Hz Video input - it will not take a PAL progressive, indeed any other Video input above SD NTSC. However using a HTPC as a Video Processor I am feeding it 1024 x 768 native for both PAL ([email protected]) and NTSC ([email protected]) sources.

I dont know if such a scheme is a possibility with the LG, but if Paul wants to hold onto it then its an option to look at. No harm in that...there again, if youve got the funds Paul it might be worth investing in a superior display :rolleyes:

10. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my L&G for 10 months now and to be honest my knowledge has only in the last couple of months. Before i was quite happy with the picture because i have not seen that many pq in full operation with high quality components. I can not see Richer Sounds exchanging it even though they are very helpful. Money wise i am now quite skint due to buying the Morduant S hort speakers. What exactly is a Video Processor and would it make a lot of difference, where can i find info on these

THANKS

11. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Video processor is exactly that. It processes video sources prior to display (in that it will deinterlace/scale/colour decode etc). Your LG will have an internal video processor, though like most Plasma's will not be of the best quality.

A way around this, and limitations of internal processing, is to add an external device to do the processing. This can take the form of a conventional stand alone unit, or a HTPC. Prices vary depending on quality/functionality.

I have a feeling though that in your case, you would have to feed the panel a computer input (via VGA or DVI??), as it appears your panel wont take a Video input above 480p. The way to do this would be via a HTPC acting as source. Have a chat with Phil Hale from Uvem ( www.uvem.com ).

As stated I have no idea whether it will work/resolve your PQ problems with the LG, but certainly worth investigating and worth the price of a phone call........

12. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info i have e mailed the company and looked at their website. The products look very good but also very expensive, how much roughly would i be looking at spendind

THANKS