increase in BT line rental :mad:

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got a letter saying line rental from 1st April will now be £12.50 a month and other things will all be increased as well eg caller display etc. :mad:

what do people think of this?

I've not recieved that news, there website still suggests it's £10.27.

UPDATE: turns out your right see here

Last edited:
I have not got one of these letters either, but I did notice last year that they started to charge me more every month, when I rang up to ask why they informed me that they sent us a letter "that I must have binned" explaining why the price went up, they added stuff that I didn't want to my bill so I just told them to take it all of, free off peak phonecalls , caller id etc. Oh and like bla5ers link my bill got less when we went paperless.

I heard about this. The next day I switched to Sky talk. £15 a month line rental and unlimited landline calls all in.

I heard about this. The next day I switched to Sky talk. £15 a month line rental and unlimited landline calls all in.
presumably that's £10 Sky Talk Line Rental and £5 Sky Talk Unlimited ... I just have their free Skytalk Freetime to stop their broadband going up by £5/month in March and have kept line rental with BT

btw just checked my BT account online, this is what I have (paper-free, online only billing)
Unlimited Weekend Plan

This Calling Plan gives you unlimited UK* landline calls from midnight on Friday to midnight on Sunday so you can talk as long as you like all weekend.

Key features

* Unlimited UK* Weekend calls
* BT Answer 1571 voicemail and other Calling Features can be added to your line
* FREE customer support – call us any time you like
* No minimum term – upgrade when you need to.

Monthly price

All you pay is £10.27 a month line rental if you pay by Direct Debit or monthly payment plan and opt for paper-free billing1.

Call pricing (UK landlines2)

* Weekend calls: Inclusive
* Evening calls: 1.47p a minute
* Daytime calls: 3.91p a minute
* Plus texts 9.79p each from your landline to other UK landlines and mobiles.

Important information

* Means calls of up to an hour to numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03, excluding the Channel Islands. Other exclusions apply.

1. Otherwise add £2.73 a month (£1.50 for payment processing fee levied by BT Payment Services Limited, a BT Group company, plus £1.23 without paper-free billing discount). Discount is via bill credit. Set-up paper-free online at BT paper-free billing - BT.com once your BT account is active.
2. Calls to numbers beginning 01, 02 & 03, excluding Channel Islands. 8p call set-up fee applies. For inclusive Weekend calls over an hour calls are charged at 3.91p a minute. You can hang up and redial to avoid call charges.

Available to eligible new and existing residential customers signing up to the Unlimited Weekend Plan with no minimum term and making at least one chargeable call a month.

That's is the current price krish it will go up in April so it won't be updated till then. I've got the same it will be £11.27/month

I believe BT think this recession is going to be a long one and wish to dump their lower margin business and milk the higher margin business.

Just had a better look at the details. The increase is because they are going to make 0845/0870 numbers free for most customers. Actually works out pretty good as those numbers used to cost quite a bit and most doctors surgerys use them now and retailers customer service. We can complain for longer now lol

According to money saving expert, the best home phone option is based on bt rental. See here.

Still showing the old rate. No doubt this will get updated in due course.
I've just been looking at the £5/month anytime option which seems to be less than my "daytime-to-landline" monthly usage. I'm not sure that I can be bothered with all the changing to Primus and using 18185 prefixes though.

same here - also includes 20 overseas countries including USA, Canada, Australia etc - the wife's sister is in USA and she can call he every night for nil extra cost!!!

just got a letter saying line rental from 1st April will now be £12.50 a month and other things will all be increased as well eg caller display etc. :mad:

what do people think of this?

no surprise.....how do you think they would have paid for the "free" 0845 calls otherwise, give with one hand, take with the other !!!

I have paperless billing but have nevertheless not received anything

But then BT probably couldn't find their own - my flatmate gets unsolicited post from BT trying to sign him up :rolleyes:

I pay £15 a month for landline/BB get free weekend/evening calls and free daytime calls via the BB connection and i've been lucky never to have had any problems.

I assume this is the Sky service or something along the same lines.

I'm about to change to Sky Talk and am in two minds whether to keep my rental with BT or move it to Sky and save 50p.

These options suggest to me that somewhere along the line BT get paid regardless of which approach - after all they are providing the line, exchanges, engineers etc.

That being the case I would expect that Sky et all will have to increase their prices aswell as they get higher prices passed onto them by BT - unless they are prepared to take the hit and make less profit :rotfl:

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm about to change to Sky Talk and am in two minds whether to keep my rental with BT or move it to Sky and save 50p.

These options suggest to me that somewhere along the line BT get paid regardless of which approach - after all they are providing the line, exchanges, engineers etc.

That being the case I would expect that Sky et all will have to increase their prices aswell as they get higher prices passed onto them by BT - unless they are prepared to take the hit and make less profit :rotfl:

Cheers,

Nigel

All land line rentals will go up because my understanding is BT rent the lines out. If BT raise their costs its highly likely other companies will also, or like you say if they don't thats going to eat into their profits.

Don't forget the government want BT to install fibre all over the country and BT shareholders keep rejecting it. Some one has to pay for it and increasing the basic line rental will makes lots of extra revenue, also BT's comemrcial business is in disarray and losing customers by the hour. 21CN will no doubt be delayed again!

Cheers,

Nigel

I think it's arranged so BT Wholesale run the lines and BT Retail or Sky or TalkTalk etc sell them to us and pay BT Wholesale:

BT Wholesale : homepage_logout

no surprise.....how do you think they would have paid for the "free" 0845 calls otherwise, give with one hand, take with the other !!!
I thought the idea was that the call recipient paid, to discourage them from leaving you on hold to awful music for hours whilst they earned from the call :nono:
I expect the wholesale buyers have contracts with BT that make it much harder or slower to enforce a change in price, buffering subscribers to those providers. But we'll see, they may increase subscriber prices "just because they can" now that BT have.

I had this letter and i have now switch to the utility warehouse where i get my gas , electric , Phone line , and broad band all is cheaper than the standard supliers and i get free call any time for having the four services

have a look SPAM hear

enjoy Terry:)

how nice of you to go through all the effort of joining just to let us know where to get a great deal!

in the spirit of the thread, i moved to the post office as price was cheaper plus no 12 month tie in!

A good deal you say? Hmm... well maybe I should take a look at this fine sponsor of your first and only post 'hear'. ;)

Can I get some kind of processed tinned meat to go with that? Oh, it comes with it! How good value that is. :smashin:

Last edited:
Bts line rental is not that bad really. Have to admit I reckon its a good price considering when on the basic package you get weekend calls for free and free 0845 calls. So all things considered not that bad a price. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom