incorrect connections

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dlanky, Apr 6, 2005.

1. dlanky

dlanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a problem with cable connections which is probably easy to resolve if you know what you are doing.

I have a fairly old Sony TV, Sky Plus and a Samsung home cinema system

When Sky was installed the fitter used a split cable. That is, there is one socket used on the back of the sky box and two cables coming out of it. One to the TV and one to The DVD. Everything works fine but the picture from the DVD is lousy. Someone suggested running a cable from the DVD straight to the TV. ( This is in addition to the existing cable. The picture is now much better…… except. When I turn the TV on I cannot access Sky. To do this I need to have the DVD turned on and then switch channels to get SKY. Also as a result of this I cannot have Sky working in the background while I am watching a DVD. I am sure this is straightforward but I can’t do it. Any suggestions please

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Why would the SKY box need a connection to your DVD player? Or do you mean the connection goes from the DVD to the SKY box, then from there into the TV? Do you only have a single input on the TV or something?

Ideally you want a single connection from DVD->TV (SCART or whatever) on, say, AV2, then a separate connection from SKY STB->TV on AV1, then you switch between the two using the TV remote. Neither should need to rely on the other to work.

Unless you have a TV from the 80's it seems unlikely that it wouldn't be able to do this, especially being a SONY.

Dan

3. dlanky

dlanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danluton. Thanks for that. It is difficult to describe the connections. But one socket on the sky box is used only. Two cables come out of this socket. One goes to the TV and one to the DVD. I guess there is a connection to the DVD because it is a Video recorder as well (forgot to mention that before - sorry). The TV is about 8 years old and I think it has two scart sockets

4. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simple, throw away the cable the installer fitted. Get hold of two scart leads and connect them as follows if of course both tv and vcr have two scart sockets....

sky box scart tv out - tv input (rgb capable if poss)

sky box scart vcr out - dvd/video combo scart in

dvd/video scart out - tv input (2nd scart)

It's then a case of selecting which av input to watch on either vcr/dvd combo or tv

:thumbsup:

5. dlanky

dlanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Souds easy !!!!!

I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Thanks

6. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note the mistake! Should have said three scart leads and not two! :)

7. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinbrad's suggestion is correct although you will need to remember that the second scart on the TV is probably composite only, not RGB (most older TVs with only two scarts have only one of the scarts supporting RGB) so you won't get fantastic DVD playback quality.