Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Inconsistent SPL Readings??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Monster, May 12, 2002.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just been setting up my Denon 2802 using a variety of sources for setting the channel levels. There seems to be quite a difference.

Using Video Essentials I have set all the levels to 75dB reference. Using the other sources given below the difference in the readings are as follows

Channel : V.E :Amp T Tone : TPMenace R2 : T2 R1

FL : 75 : -2 : +3 : +8
    Centre : 75 : 0 : +3 : +8
    FR : 75 : -1 : +2 : +8
    SL : 75 : -3 : +8 : +9
    SR : 75 : -1 : +4 : +8

Some of the differences are consistent in that all channels for a particular source are uniformy 'louder' or 'quiter' particularly T2 but TPM SL is way off.

I'm going to stick with the VE settings as I am lead to believe that this is the best signal source for setting up the levels.

Has anyone else (with too much time on their hands

:D ) noticed similar and which settings did you go with?

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that the test tones on some discs are only there so you can check that the speakers are connected up propally, and this is indicated on the discs intro before you run the test.

I would have a look at just the readings for V.E and the amps test tones, (i found that they weren't that far out from each other when i set mine up, the amps test tone was a minimum of -1db on a couple of channels but out by -3/-4db on others). This should then tell you that the dvd's with the test tones as added features are not really there to set the channel levels, as the difference in levels look a bit suspect, -1db > +8db is a big jump.

I have a 3801 and when the test tone is in default 0db the spl reads 87db, so to set to reference level of 75db all the levels are -db reading, so i would tend to agree with you and keep the V.E readings.

cheers bob

3. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately, not all test tones are created equal... I tend to use the internal test tones of my amp (I happen to know the Lexicon test tones are very reliable and they are the only way I can balance all 7.1 channels without too much fuzz). The best however is to use a disc like VE or better yet, AVIA, to get the levels correct (if you only have a 5.1-setup).

Do keep in mind that the absolute levels can vary from disc to disc, because not all are recorded evenly loud and different discs have different values for dialogue normalization. Also, a different spectral response of the various test tones (the frequency content of the tones) can create differences, because your room and speakers combine to have a non-flat frequency response, which "favours" one test tone over the other.

If you want to know differences between PCM/Dolby Digital/DTS levels in your amplifier, a very good disc to use is Ultimate DVD Platinum edition, which features test tones for all sound formats. AVIA on the other hand is very handy to really check your whole bass management, as it creates the bass tones from the rerouted bass from your main channels, which means you are testing the rerouted bass for each and every channel.