Inconsistent Channel List when Doing a Re-Scan

madmaca

Standard Member
I've got a Samsung LE32R41BDX with built in Freeview tuner. It get it's signal from a loft-based high-gain aerial with a masthead 3-way splitter feeding the signal to the kitchen (currently on analogue) and one of the bedrooms (with a freeview box). The bedroom has a powered variable gain amp boosting the signal back up to the splitter.

All was working well, I had a full compliment of channels on all the sets with good signal strength (60%+). After seeing the constant reminders on dave to rescan my receiver I decided to try and rescan the Samsung TV to update it's channel list. On the Samsung you can only do an a complete new scan you can't just add new channels.

I then spent all last night doing constant rescans on the Samsung TV with varying results. It only ever finds 68 channels, and finds anything between 10 and 127 "services" (whatever they are :confused:). None of the scans resulted in a full compliment of channels. Most of the time I got EITHER BBC channels (BBC1,2,3,4 etc.) or ITV type channels (ITV1,2,3 Channel 4, Five). Only about twice did I get both, and then other channels were missing e.g. Dave or Dave+1 etc. Signal strength is still fine showing between 55-65 with no bit errors, and a rescan of the upstairs freeview box resulted in all channels (including the new ones) being found without a problem first time. I even tried a factory reset of the TV but still got the same inconsistent results.

My Wolfbane results can be found here: UK digital TV reception predictor

Any ideas? :lease:

I'm gonna try by-passing the splitter tonight and seeing if I get any further, but it's strange that I got all the channels before doing a rescan - it's the rescan that seems to have cocked things up :(

scribbler101

Which transmitter do you use? If the repeater, maybe work on it?

Or it could be the new FIT problem - see FAQs

"The bedroom has a powered variable gain amp boosting the signal back up to the splitter." Not sure what you mean by "back up" - but probably not important.

Worth trying switching the two freeview receivers to prove it's the box not the signal.

madmaca

Standard Member
Which transmitter do you use? If the repeater, maybe work on it?

Or it could be the new FIT problem - see FAQs

"The bedroom has a powered variable gain amp boosting the signal back up to the splitter." Not sure what you mean by "back up" - but probably not important.

Worth trying switching the two freeview receivers to prove it's the box not the signal.

I'm not sure which transmitter we use - not sure how to find out. :confused:

by "back up" I meant the gain from the amp is passed back up the cable to the splitter in the loft and boosts the other signals for the other rooms too.

I have tried by-passing the splitter & amp tonight and connecting the tv directly to the aerial and it has made no difference whatsoever. Still can't get BBC and ITV channels at the same time in the channel list :(

Any other advice? :lease:

scribbler101

If you go to the wolfbane result it shows a compass bearing for each transmitter. Plus; IIRC, one is V the other H. Are the little arms on your aerial uppydown or leftyright?

radioredcat

Are the elements on you aerial vertical or horizontal as there is a relay at fenton,stoke on trent,It is a low power relay mux 1,2,A,B IS 100W and C/D is 50W.
I am thinking that you could be picking up a mixture of transmitters and thats why your getting different results.
If the elements are horizontal the you will be looking at a main transmitter.
To the south west is the wrekin and south east is sutton coldfield to the north west is moel-y-parc and north is winter hill.
The trick is to do a manual search but we need to know which transmitter you are looking at so let us know what direction for aerial is pointing at.

andy

Last edited:

madmaca

Standard Member
The aerial I've got is similar to this:

27884D_AerialCut_med_RGB_full.jpg

but it's screwed to a roof joist in the loft. I'll try and check the direction it's pointing in tonight.

ROYOLD

Your Wolfbane results indicate that you need an Extra Hi-gain Aerial for Fenton @ 6 miles distance Vertically aligned as this is a repeater transmitter.

Failing that an amplified extra Hi-gain aerial for Sutton Coldfield @ 37 miles distance. Horizontally aligned for this high power transmitter.

The Wolfbane predictions are for an outside aerial at a height of 10 mtrs.
Not a loft aerial which you have fitted.

Signal strength is only an indication and yours seems medium. It is the signal QUALITY which is most important and it should be 100%.

The medium signal you are receiving combined with a loft fitting is probably responsible for the discrepancies encountered when scanning for channels.

You are, however, fortunate in that you have a clear line of sight to either transmitter.

Terrain between SJ830526 (10 m a.g.l.) and Fenton, SJ903451 (antenna 241 m A.O.D.) - Optimising UK DTT Freeview and Radio aerial location

Terrain between SJ830526 (10 m a.g.l.) and Sutton Coldfield, SK113003 (antenna 398 m A.O.D.) - Optimising UK DTT Freeview and Radio aerial location

madmaca

Standard Member
*Update* - It is now FIXED :)

Basically I figured out how to do a manual search and what the menu items on the TV corresponded to on the wolfbane results. Did a manual search based on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter and after a couple of attempts it found ALL my channels :)

So problem sorted.

And after all that frustration and effort trying to get it working.....we ended up going into Currys at the weekend and ordered Sky+ HD :D

DOH!

Thanks for all the advice and info - I couldn't have figured it out on my own :)

Richard Crouche

Standard Member
Hi I live in Poole and also have a Samsung. Yesterday I tried to rescan too with very mixed results.
Initially missed out on a number of channels - 1,2,3 & 4 for example were missing. However all the old + new channels were there but at peculiar numbers - BBC1 - 726 BBC3 - 727 BBC2 728 and more. Also DAVE was 19 but now 7... whereas DAVE+1 & 5 were as expected.
I tried a differenr operating system, resetting everything to 'factory' plus - nothing much different but another number change at one point.
Finally I had another go and suddenly everything came back into the 'expected' numbers as previous with additions etc.

Whether it was maintenanc/weather or what no idea - I get a pretty good signal normally and had checked things were not low too.

Anyway, the moral is 'try again later' - it worked for me!

scribbler101

I seem to recall some brief mention of "weather" on the TV news yesterday.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom