1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inca/ Vincent cd players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by harv, Sep 3, 2005.

1. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm hifi dealers can be so unhelpful, went to a place near me hoping for a quick chat about the Inca Katana cd player, and well :rolleyes: I left knowing nothing more then what I knew when I walked in. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I wasn't going to buy one till next month.

Well I've agreed to sell my rega planet 2000 next month to a mate and will need a replacement. I won't have a transport apart from a wobbly LG dvd player so a DAC is a no-no. Was considering the Inca in non SE mode, the Vincents look interesting.

http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/produkt/cddvd.php was also considering Heart cd players. Got this idea that valves will help.

has anyone heard any of the above ? my budget is a solid £600 I don't mind second hand

and if anyone can be bother to give me a run down of the acronyms I'd be grateful. :lesson:

thanks in advance

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  3. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vincent are a Chinese brand, aren't they?

As with all things chinese, they appear to be stupendous value for money. Still pretty hard to find in this country though. I think dealers get a lot of stick from distributors & manufacturers for stocking Chi-fi (for obvious reasons).

I know Jungson is the OEM of the Inca Katana. I've always wondered what the difference is between the two (apart from the £300 difference in price!). Has anyone performed a thorough analysis of the differences between the two?

I am very interested in the new Jungson/Katana SACD player. Less than £500 at some outlets, and on paper, value good value. Shame it doesn't have a valve output stage :(

KK/DT

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vincent are German,in china the sheynga,very well built and reported to be good sound at reasonable prices.

5. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've never seen a review of one, the inca has had pretty good reviews pretty much ever where, and has got balanced outputs. Part of the reason why I've agreed to sell the rega is I recently changed amps (tag's 60i & 100p to Krell 300i) and well it hurts the ears after a while. Its all way too bright/aggresive. So I'm hoping a change of cdp will help especially if its got valve outputs. Has anyone ever tried a Heart cdp ?(Marantz modded with a valve outputs) they seem quite reasonably priced as well as being upgradable for the future.

6. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH I don't think a change of CD players is your problem with brightness,I usually find brightness more in the treble unit found in the speaker,or if the room is lightly furnished.Some may disagree but I found also mains conditioning (passive)tamed treble a touch.

7. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the speakers I'm currently using JM Lab 816, they are pretty bright but excellent, I'm also using an isotek mini sub (with a missing link mains cable), kimber yello on the cd player and kimber PBJ interconnect. I was using kimber 4vs speaker cable but switched to transparent a couple of weeks ago, which helped a fair bit. Its fine at low volumes but at headbanging levels or anything poorly produced...ouch

I did think about changing the speakers but I think the krell might be better with a higher quality, less lean sounding CDP (Also the shop I got from said it would sound better connected using the balanced input).

Ska do you think hanging a rug on the wall behind my listen position would help?

8. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think acoustic foams from RPG will help,they will absorb treble and calm it down,you can place behind the speakers aswell,and a rug on the wall would be a good idea too.

Last year I heard the JMlab, gran utopia with berylum?tweeters,my god it was awful,it was sooo bright it made me winch,hard and horrible sound,but many like them,wasn't for me though,but do try the RPG foams.it's very effective at taming brightness.

9. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    RPG? Where can I get this foam from? is it expensive?

As for JM Lab, haven't heard the gran utopia, I got the 816's beacause...I was at hifi show in bristol walking around and in the hallway they had a pair powered by a crappy av reciever, they let me play a cd on the dvd player, it sounded great. Gotta admit when I first got them I had been using Cryus CLS 50's soft full sounding standmounts, I had a few OMG what have I done moments, my ears adjusted. My brother comes round and winces all the time when he hears them... but then I find his MF A300 / Spendor BC-1's lacking detail. Each to his own...

10. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take a silk/wool Tabriz or Qom work of art over acoustic foam any day of the week!!

Harv, ditch the JMs - they're the root of your problem. I had a pair of 706's which I found horribly bright and strident (ok, I know they're budget speakers, but the revolvers are the same price (ish) and are smoother than james bond after a back, sack & crack wax!)

A lot of people find JM's bright - I'm not the only one!

DT

11. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That is next on the hit list, but with the Tags Its was never a problem except for poor sound production. The JM were better then the Missions 782/3's I demo'd and I got £450 quid off.

I gotta get a cdp regardless next month. The rega is as promised on its way to mate. The other option I suppose is to wait till I can afford a Shanling cdp-100 or Copland 289 I guess.

12. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    try the Shanling cds 100 mk2 it is 700 euros and has had fantastic reviews in all the German hifi mags. It is fantastic I have listened to it at a hifi show- 12kgs of solid work!!!!! I have a cdt 100 though which as well as looking good is a beautiful machine to listen to but be careful what you partner it with.

Kid Rock

13. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it bright or dark sounding CDP? a bit out of my price range though, I am saving though.

Have sorted of the aggresive treble, rid my system of all the kimber cables and oddly it doesn't hurt anymore.

14. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All Shanlings are the warm side of neutral but really are superb value for money.As for the price the Shanling cds 100 mk2 is 700 euros but if it was manufactured by say Arcam it would cost 2-3 times as much.Alternatively the cdt100 is expensive but boy do you get a lot of kit -,HDCD, switchable 24 bit upsampling, valve tube headphone amp, solid state or valve tube analogue output, digital out if you want an external DAC, pre amp with 100 step digital volume control. I auditioned lots of other players at the 1500- 2000 pounds level ie by Naim and Sugden and even Meridian second hand but the Shanling won.

15. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I guess I'm gonna have to save more! I know this isn't quite the right thing to say but I've loved the CDT-100 ever since seeing a pic. From the sounds of it should balance the krell/JM labs well too. Bonus. Still would like to hear a Vincent S3 or S6, they've got a tube output too.