Inability to order wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by itsfja, Dec 29, 2006.

1. itsfja

itsfja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it usual to be unable to order goods in constraint? None of the high street retailers that I have spoken to are willing to accept orders and only one Etailer appears to be accepting them. When I called the stores in my area they were initially asking me to pop in daily and check, fine over the Christmas New Year period but not so easy from next week. Argos, according to my brother, have apparantly have put stickers over the Wii product pages in store to remove the possibility of casual requests. Some of the telephone manners become distinctly frosty when the W word is mentioned and some calls have become "unexpectedly disconnected".

So where is the benefit to these companies in pursuing this policy, do people turn up and buy something else? each time?

When I ordered the 360 HD and Sendit failed to deliver, everyone was willing to add me to the back of the queues - so what in particular is different about the Wii?

Regards,
    Francis.

2. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Wait for 3 more Wiiks (weeks) . You will not be able to move for em.

3. itsfja

itsfja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You may be right, probably are in fact. The question remains - is this a normal practice? I haven't encountered it before, if not how did the strategy manage to evolve almost universally? God help the poor sods at PS3 launch.

Regards,
    Francis.

4. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I also think the 'no preorder' policy is odd but who cares? They obviously don't want your money.

:)

Why are wii waiting? Wii shall overcome. Wii will survive. Wii are the world. Don't wii down my back and tell me it's raining.

5. itsfja

itsfja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Me.

Regards,
    Francis.

6. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Why do you care? Has someone kidnapped your kitty and are demanded a Wii in ransom? I'm glad Wii's aren't available as I may have bought one along with all the other stuff I don't need or really want in the sales.

:)

7. itsfja

itsfja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, I care because it doesn't appear to me to have any value over the more normal practice of adding to the end of a queue. Such strategies do not just happen at each branch of each and almost every store and etailer without reason, if they work they survive, if they fail they don't. I am not interested, personally, in kidnapping kittens whether or not this would provide me with a wii, your milage may vary.

So the questions I am interested in are;
    How it came about?
    What the perceived benefits of the strategy is/are?
    Are they being realised?

Nintendo attempting to damping down demand is the only thing I can think of ... which could indicate that stock is not on the way in the quantities/timeframe that it is believed to be by those of us that still have the dosh ... which is rapidly being used to buy HD DVDs in this particular case.

Regards,
    Francis.

8. Crid

Crid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I guess at the moment the shops are in the position that Wiis sell as soon as they come in. So they're not really bothered whether they sell them to the first customers who turn up after the delivery or people who have put their name down.

In fact, selling them to whoever turns up first is probably more convenient for them. Why put units back and wait a few days for the customer to come and buy it (or say "no I've changed my mind") if they can be sold straight away?

Nintendo are in the nice position that they know that right now, every unit they ship is sold straight away. Obviously that will calm down eventually, but I think they're riding a lot higher than they did with the Cube's launch.

I can't help feeling that Ninty have dropped the ball a little with this launch (or at least fumbled the ball). By launching so close to Christmas a lot of people missed out (myself included). I've read many reports of "we had the family over for Christmas and they all loved it and want one". But the continued lack of Wiis means that this second wave of potential buyers can't buy. If they can't buy in the next few weeks, the enthusiasm may have worn off and they may forget about thinking "I'd like one of those Wiis".

But poor Ninty can't win really. If they had left the Europe launch until after Christmas there would be less of a shortage in the US and Japan, but we'd be complaining about getting the short end of the stick again.

9. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Firstly, I honestly don't believe that Nintendo have a thing to do with the way stores, whether in the real world or on-line, conduct their stock management. All Nintendo will do is inform these retailers of when they will be getting stock and how much they will be getting (and hopefully these numbers will be accurate). From that point on the decision on how to manage that stock is up to the retailer.

Let me use the example of the Currys in my parents small(ish) town here. I went in to return a duff GPS unit and asked about the Wii a couple of days ago. The response was that they were scheduled to get some but they didn't know how many and the central depot hadn't even confirmed they were going to ship one unit even though their paperwork indicated thet would be getting some. They had 7 pre-orders and had only filled 3 not because Nintendo didn't deliver the stock they said they would but because other, larger stores with more influence over stock allocation had sold a lot more pre-orders and were getting the goods first.

This is the problem, and something we customers tend to forget. Depsite all the automation in todays business world most supply chains are still rather, umm, tempremental. Worse, stores in the same chain aren't really all part of the same entitiy. They compete against each other to get the best sales, customer satisfaction etc etc. I suspect it's for these reason that stores don't want to take pre-orders because they have no idea how many units they'll be getting or when they'll get them. As a result they try to save themselves the inevitable abuse that some poor sod will lay on them after their Wii fails to arrive for the fifth straight week by not taking any orders at all. As for stores getting tetchy when asked about the Wii, I can understand why someone would just reach for the baseball bat after the 100th query in a single day. I don't condone it and would have never done it myself back when I worked retail but I can certainly understand it.

Those stores that have their act together seem to be letting people know what's up with nice big, clear and obvious signs in the relevant places. I know my local HMV for instance has professionaly printed signs with We have Wii' on one side and 'Wii out of stock' on the other which are displayed in the main window right by the door. My local PC World had huge 'No Wii in stock at all' signs either side of the main doors and this sort of thing saves a lot of wasted time. I must admit, if I were a manager of such a store, I'd probably not take pre-orders now either. Why? Because it's a pain in the arse quite frankly. You have to let all your staff know the proper procedure, get in touch with all those on the list to let them know either that a Wii is now available for them or that it'll be another x weeks, and you have to turn away people who come in to buy a console for weeks on end because all your stock is already taken and watch them go across the road to Game while talking at the top of their lungs to their mate about how your store must suck if it STILL hasn't got any Wii for sale two months after launch.

Most importantly, and I think this is something that's very easy to loose track of in the general excitement and desperate need most of us are feeling to get our grubby paws on Nintendo's latest Shiny Thing(tm), the public demand for Wii is absolutley incredible right now. Way, way more than Ninty could have predicted and, if it stays where it is right now, Ninty would have to ship hundreds of thousands, of units to ensure everyone who wanted one got one. Considering that they were only planning on making 6 million by the end of March (I think) and that was worldwide I somehow doubt this will happen. More to the point, it would be unrealistic to expect it to happen in the next few weeks, especially considering they also need to make sure that if they ramp up production of the consoles that production of the wiimote, nunchuck, cables etc etc goes up with it.

Basically, I guess the point I'm meandering slowly towards is that this is still, ultimately, a console launch and that means the units will be in short supply, that a lot of the games will be utter tosh and that there will probably be a few glitches along the way. Nintendo have, in my view anyway, actually had a stunningly well executed launch (despite the best efforts of the usual suspects in the retail industry to stuff it up by taking thousands of pre-orders more than they should) with a LOT of units available and additional stock being shipped before Christmas, a true AAA game at launch, a great pack-in game, several decent supporting titles and a system that seems to be reliable to boot. Downsides are a shortage of higher quality connection leads and not enough wiimotes and nunchucks but ultimately, imo, they should be applauded for the way they've run things. Compare and contrast to the 360 launch (which still wasn't that bad *cough*PS3*cough*) and you'll see what I mean.

All that being said, there have been some stunning examples of how not to do it either through ignorance (Ebuyer's well intentioned but ultimately server-crashing "we've got Wii's for sale and we'll give the world+dog at least 1 hour notice), system stuff-ups (several on-line retailers allowing orders when they had no stock), communication errors (Woolworths apparently sending messages between depot and stores via carrier pigeon on national eat-a-pigeon day) or general evilness (Play.com once again taking waaaaaaaaaay more pre-orders than they could fill just as they did for the 360). I'd suggest using the experiences of others to narrow down a short-list of stores you are prepared to do business with in future and those you wouldn't touch with someone else's barge poll.

10. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Nah, while that may indeed happen those families, friends, pets etc that have played the Wii, want on now but can't get one do forget about it for the time being, the same cycle will repeat the next time they are all over. This is, I believe, Nintendos stroke of genius in that this console is going to get bursts of new users over and above the normal gaming crowd at every major holiday event when people get (re)introduced to it, possibly with the latest and greatest software or maybe with Wii Sports (I fully believe that game will stand the test of time). Then they all rush out to buy one when stocks are available.

What the current market allows Nintendo to do is sell the console at £180 a pop and make back as much of the R&D budget as they can as quickly as they can and not worry about demand being lower than supply. Then, once the initial rush dies down and they've been on store shelves for a few months, they can time a price drop to shift more units either with a litteral cut in purchase cost or an extra (or different) pack-in game. For example, wait until the Wii version of Nintendogs ships, swap it with Wii Sports as the pack-in game, add Wii Play to the box but without the bonus wiimote, then make a hardware bundle available with extra wiimote, nunchuck and copy of Wii Sports all in one box.

The only potential problem is loosing the "ooh, shiny!" appeal but I think Nintendo has that one covered with the different coloured Wii consoles waiting in the wings. This is the same recipe we've seen with the DS and god knows it's worked incredibly well there. I see no reason it can't do the same in the home console market too.

11. weaponx_uk2003

weaponx_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i work for a computer company and i am sure one of the guys got an email off one of our suppliers saying u could get wiis off them in january ( first week) as soon as i go back ( 2nd) i will post the company on here. they are a trade company but they may sell to end users.

12. itsfja

itsfja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A comprehensive response, and if this was normal practice I would agree wholheartedly, my natural inclination is still to suspect that Dr. Evil is masterminding the no further additions to the queue element of this particular shortage, perhaps someone kidnapped his kitten?

Your final remarks strike a chord - I haven't used Play since they failed to deliver my Xbox 360, and I haven't used Sendit since they failed to deliver the HD drive. I may run out of suppliers eventually but I'll probably have arthritis to add to my RSI well before then.

Regards,
    Francis.