IN76 or H72i?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AngelEyes, Aug 5, 2006.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a comparison with a quick search.

I want to mount a projector on my back wall in an alcove/shelf approx 210cm from the floor. I will probably get a 100inch or so screen which will be approx 375cm from lens to screen. Main seating will be approx 350cm from screen.

I would also welcome recommendations for screen type for either projector. I will probably opt for a pull down one but may stretch to electric if funds allow.

At the moment I am drawn to the H72i but with no lens shift I can't see how it will meet my mounting requirements unless I suspend it upside down in the shelf, which sounds a pain. I don't really know anything about the IN76 except it looks nicer IMO :)

Thanks

Adam

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi Adam,:)

I guess you saw the reviews in last months HCC? They thought the IN76 topped the H72i slightly. I also have read on here of either one, or more posters prefferring the IN76, but there maybe some who found the reverse? But does the IN76 have a lens shift? Infocus didn't have one on the 7205/7210. I think on their website it says it's got a fixed 116% image offset?

HTH,

T.

ps. Where's your avatar? You can't be Angeleyes without the man himself! Can you? :confused:

3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Yes it isn't quite right is it, I'll see if I can't find a better pic of him/me and put it back. ;)

I did read HCC but thought it wise to get the lowdown from owners too :)

4. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Having seen both I would recommend the IN76 over the HD72i. The difference between the two is only subtle, but certainly worthwhile going with the InFocus over the Optoma. InFocus have also lowered the RRP making the two models equal in cost, which is something to also bear in mind.

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Your original was good wasn't it? Although the current one looks meaner :eek:.
    Pretty good I think :smashin:

Too right, but when are you going for a demo? Shouldn't be too hard to test those side by side, but make sure you take something like a DVE setup disc, or, failing that, something like The Incredibles, which has a THX setup so you can be sure the brightness/contrast is setup correctly & the same for both.

ps. Have you seen the post about the new IN78; replacement for the 7210?

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    If I demoed the projectors I would be breaking my long run of blind purchases :lesson:

I prefer to let someone else do all the hard work :D

I noticed one thread about the 78 but it looked like speculation dipped in rumour . It may be worth waiting a while to see what the spec and price turn out to be. :)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    you could always grab a 7210 for £1,600 or whatever it was someone posted seeing one brand new for...heh

(or a 7205 for £1,200 ish)

assuming it meets the physical requirements anyhow.....the bundled 3 year Gold warranty you get is tremendous extra, assuming its like mine, next day on site swapover...w00t!...

8. spylab

spylab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Apart from the bigger offset of 72i mounting requirements are the same.

They have to go each to the exact spot for the screen.

If you have to use Keystone or overscan dont get them.
    (just use a test patern with Keystone or overscan and see.....)

If the ocasional RBE is ok with you both are very good with
    exeptional HD picture (where RBE is less by the way)

If you plan to use the screen like a big desktop (HTPC)
    72i is more computer friendly (1280x768 also) plus that if you
    play 1080 HD files with 768 you get extra resolution ;) (HTPC scales to 768 no 720)

Personally after 3 months with 72i ,if i could go back i would get 72i again :smashin: (It is a small click better :) )

9. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    This is exactly the dillema i'm in at the moment.Got in touch with nexnix who recommended the sharp xzv2000....it's driving me nutty!!!!

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

What would be the advantage of going for an older 7205 or 7210 model? I understand that they were more expensive models in their day so what do they offer over the new kids on the block.

BTW I demoed a 7210 a few years back and didn't experience any RBE (although I had never heard of it then). I wasn't exactly blown away at the time but I had no point of reference and I am not sure it was setup all that well.

At the moment my source will be Component and SD but I am thinking of building a HTPC since aquiring some HD material so I suppose if not HDMI then DVI connection would seem to be a minimum requirement?

Adam

11. Kadders

Kadders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to early reviews, the 7205/10 had a lot of fan noise. May have improved since then though. HD72i is very quiet.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD72i is a superb performer for the money and it really has got me hooked now and i seem to be more concerned on the video side of my system...and it really does shine on HD material both HD DVD & SKY HD look stunning on it..

Saveing the pennies now for a 1080P projector...:)

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Ok forgive my ignorance. How do I wok out the height the projector has to be in relation to the screen. I take in either case here (IN76 & H72i) I will have to mount upside down if I want it near the ceiling?

I could ceiling mount the projector in another room and project through the wall but obviously I need to get the hole in the right place. If I use a ceiling mount what how far away from the ceiling will the lens be?

14. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the offset is 116% then if your screen height is 50" then you would need to your PJ to be 8" above or below the screen depending on whether you are table or ceiling mount.
    Luzertech are selling the 7210 DC3 chip for £1400 you may won't to consider this one as well
    Dave

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    What would I be getting from the 7210 that is better than the 72i or 76? Thanks?

... and thanks for explaining the offset :)

16. Kadders

Kadders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More fan noise!

17. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    heh, when you put it like that :) ... so no other benefits?

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that on some threads owners of the IN76 said that it was very noisy too, where as the HD72i is more or less silent..

19. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the 7210's picture should be better given it uses better quality chippery.....i'm sure someone posted somewhere that the 76 isnt meant to replace the 7210, its more of a 7205 replacement, but even then not completely.....as it uses a cheaper form of scaler i think...

i cant see the image qualities being too far removed from each other tho, but it may depend on source....lol

if you think you need 2 digital inputs on it then probably best to go with the 76.....also if you want more WAF.....

but its quite possible the 7210 will have a better picture........without going to a shop and trying you'll never know...lol.....

either way i doubt you'll be disappointed...heh...i know i love my 7205 to bits :)

just dreading the bulb giving up before i can afford a new one :rolleyes:

20. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DC3 chip in the 7210 gives a better black level, the optics are better giving a sharper image the colour wheel is 7 segment and 5x and the deinterlacer is the top of the range farouja 2310 all these combined give a better image.

Dave

21. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, fan noise on th HD72i is very low. For me though there was one other important reason for getting the HD72i. That is, what happens if and when you get a problem?

Optoma have their European office in Watford UK. Infocus are based in Holland and contacting them and getting a PJ serviced is a pain in the .... As I found with the SP4805 I had. Got an HD72i now and very pleased with it.

Cheers,

Bob.

22. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    my only issue with the 72 is the setting up,does anyone have an easy way to work out if it will fit me room?

The pj will be on back wall 14 foot from screen,my ceiling is around 8 foot high,i think this is a problem?

23. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Optoma's are known for their good contrast & low fan levels. I would think a 7210 will beat both the IN76 & the HD72i. Not on fan noise tho.

If you (Angeleyes) weren't that blown away by the 7210 then you should break your habit of going for a demo & check the other two.

It can be quite fun. Honest!

24. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I guess I'm not easily impressed but it may have been that it was just showing up the source material. They had Pearl Harbour playing and the scene when they bomb the hospital area, all these people are running and the ones in the background had this kind of blobby silhouette halo round them... as I said maybe that is on the disk like a kind of jpeg artifacting...:confused:

I think I will have to demo and with a variety of sources I am familiar with.

The sound of the PJ shouldn't matter as much for me as it will be in a room behind me (showing through the wall) so if it really is a lot better then it may be worth checking out again.

BTW is the SP7210 exactly the same model I demoed when it launched, or has it been updated at all?

Thanks.

25. Kadders

Kadders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that if you ceiling mount, it does not have to be at the extreme rear of the room. You could mount it closer to the screen/above your head or whatever.

There is a throw calculator here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2967124&postcount=287

26. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Thats great ......how does it work?

27. Kadders

Kadders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just enter the 4 values in red (all are in cm)
    Ceiling height (obviously a constant!)
    These three are the ones to play with:
    L - Length of throw (lens to screen)
    Z - Zoom (must be between 1.58 and 1.9)
    P - Mount height (distance from pj base to ceiling)

The blue figures are calculated from the red figures you put in (and the projector data).

He has taken all the data from the Optoma manual.

28. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    it could be my addled memory, but i get the feeling the 7210 did get a minor tweak at some point physically.........i think its had a couple of firmware updates too.......

29. Epoth

Epoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had a look at both the HD72i and the IN76 before upgrading from my H30. The differences in picture quality between the two seemed marginal (I couldn't really tell them apart) but both gave a significantly better picture than the H30 (as might be expected). Fan noise seemed much lower on the HD72i than the IN76 and this proved to be the deciding factor for me. Of course, not everyone can live with the rather extreme offset of the HD72i. I doubt that you'd be unhappy with either of these projectors; they are both quality pieces of kit.