IN72 vs ae900 pANASONIC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by journeyman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. journeyman

journeyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a question.
    I am looking to buy a projector, I'am not interested in running HD sources and will only be using it for DVD movies.

I had an epson TW10 a while ago but was'nt impressed (horizontal banding, screen door etc)

I have looked at the infocus IN72 for £490.00 (bargain) but not seen it running and have seen the Pansonic AE900 in motion and it looks great but a tad too expensive.

How does the PQ of the IN72 compare to the AE900 for stanadard DVD, how is it for Black levels, pixelation etc

like I say HD does not concern me, is the extra price gonna make any differnce to a normal movie picture quality.

Thanks

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    I would stick with the IN72 if you don't mind having DLP. It will be a night and day differences compared to the Epson TW10. It is a great projector. I have seen it do real dark blacks that made it too dark and lost detail. A change in the settings can lighten it up and bring the detail though.

The AE900 is HD resolution so it would uspcale SD DVD to the resolution of the projector. This can look great.

Could you see a demo somewhere first and see if you suffer from the rainbow effect? That would make LCD a better choice. A cheaper LCD alternative would might be the Optoma HD70 at around £600-£700. It is still HD Ready though.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry to be picky but the HD70 is DLP, so rainbows may still be an issue.

If you liked the AE900 (but I would also suggest you look at DLP) I would think there should be a few AE700's and AE900's around in classified ads since the AX100 has replaced them.

Slingshot

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    in72 will have much better blacks / contrast and colour compared to the AE900. In fact. The in72 has better black level and contrast then it's more expensive brother the in76.

The AE900 has better resolution and is quieter.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    Of course it is.

6. journeyman

journeyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i had the panny 900, great pj, but a bit of vb, thinks of a switch to dlp myself

7. journeyman

journeyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for the advice guys, I have taken the plunge and ordered the IN72 for a very sweet £489.00. I will be projecting a screen of no more than 66" anyway so I'am sure the image will look good enough at that size from just over 9ft.

The screen itself I hope to make from thin mdf (painted matt white with a 3" border trimmed with black pvc material. I hope to underline the border top and bottom both sides with magnetic strips and make two mdf (trimmed with black pvc) plinths (also magnatised) to use when watching 2:35 movies. (saw this idea somewhere on here by the way - great)

hope to do a photo review when I get it

thanks again:smashin: