1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In what way does the X-Box output HDTV?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Wayne Moule, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As subject.

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    in a, sort of, er, HDTV way ;)

OK, I'll try a more helpful approach

The US (ntsc) XBox will output proper HDTV signals when connected via the MS hi-def pack. This means 480p (nearly all games) or 720p / 1080i for a few games.

This feature is disabled on the PAL xbox, and to access it you need to have the xbox modded

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for that.

I left the question wide open to see what replies I would get.

So we're talking of just games then and not DVD's or anything else?

What kind of output does it use to do this,as I assume it can't be done from a PC game to a Plasma screen in HD?

What is 480p (nearly all games) or 720p / 1080i?

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    It's only games, but there is a way to play back DVD in HDTV (480p) using 3rd party DVD player software on a modified XBox.

Non-HDTV is 480i (480 horizontal scan lines, interlaced).
    480p is the most common HDTV mode supported by xbox games. Basically, it's the same number of scan lines per image, but they're all sent at once. When the signal is interlaced, the xbox sends lines 1,3,5,7,... in one frame, then lines 2,4,6,8, ... in the next. The display device (TV, projector, etc) is responsible for putting it all back together to make a solid image.

Sending all the lines at once results in better image quality.

Note that when I say 480 lines, I'm talking about NTSC (US) TV standard as only US or modded XBoxes will output any HDTV signals. Standard UK XBoxes will only output PAL, which is 575 (i think) scan lines, interlaced.

720p is 720 scan lines, all sent at once. 1080i is 1080 lines, interlaced.

In terms of quality, as most games only support 480p there isn't a massive difference, but it depends on the quality and size of your display device. On my projector I can see a clear difference simply because the image is huge and the circuitry that re-assembles the interlaced image isn't particularly good.

Because the lines that make up an interlaced image are sent at different times (all the odd ones, followed by all the even ones a fraction of a second later), when objects are moving quickly the lines are all a little out of whack. The object has a jagged edge. Better de-interlacing circuitry will compensate for this in various ways.

As for outputs, it's component video only for XBox HDTV. A VGA signal from a PC is always progressive-scan (all the lines at once) so I suppose if you're connecting a PC to a plasma you're already using one of it's HDTV modes.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's a great answer,thank you very much :) .

Btw > http://www.hdtvpub.com/games/xbox/microsoft-xbox.cfm