In wall wiring for TV wall mount

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by chalky40, Jan 17, 2008.

1. chalky40

chalky40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey all.

Been wanting to wall mount my tv and home cinema for a while now but after searching the net for advice i have found that things could get complicated.

The wall mount should not be a problem, but i have my concerns about running the wires down the wall. The wires don't need to run far to be concealed by the funiture.

Is the wiring just simply cutting a hole out of the plasterboard and running down the wall or would i need to channel out the plasterboard the whole way down and then re-plaster?

I read that you can't run the power cable in the wall and i would need an electrician to fit a junction box.

Is there a way around this? I really want to do this myself and do have quite alot of DIY experience and would feel confident in doing so. Just don't want to create a fire risk.

Thanks

2. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You cut 2 holes in the plasterboard, pull out a bit of the insulation between the two then drop the cables through. The holes can be made neater by using electrical double plasterboard boxes.
    You need to check that there are no noggins in the path of the drop first by knocking on the wall, a hollow sound is good but a tighter sound means a noggin.
    Believe me, its easier to do than explain,
    Give it a go:smashin:

3. dustinr

dustinr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi it all depends on what way the battons run in the wall but if u can put a small hole in the wall and put a coat hanger in the hole it will let u know if the wires can b ran all the way down.i have just wall mounted my tv i had to run the cables about one meter through the wall with upgradeing down the line i ran my cables through a pice of plumbing pipe 1 1/4 with a pice of string through it so i could pull any wires i might need through.as for the power cables they might be ok in the wall but if u are handy enough it would not take much time to wire a socket behind the tv it took me about twenty mins to do.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If it's a short run just pull the power cord though with the other cables. Don't do any closing up till you've tested, just in case there is a problem. You don't need a sparky to install 1 spur if you know what to do even if you choose to do it that way. If there is a stud in the way of the cables, you might, with an extension on a paddle bit on a drill, be able to make a big hole in it without breaking into the plasterboard. If not, you'll have to make 2 x 2" holes, one immediately above the stud, 1 below, and join them up with 2 stanley knife cuts. Make the holes with a hole saw on a drill, keep the bits you cut out. Chisel a big enough notch in the stud to fit the cables you need, when you've tested, you can glue the bits back in with 'no more nails', wait till it's set, then fill with your chosen brand of filler. Easy.

5. Event Horizon

Event Horizon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    hi!!
    worth baring in mind that the plaster board might be dot and dabed and may not be a stud wall?
    best regards
    nick.

6. chalky40

chalky40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks all for the fast responses. All your comments have definatly made me feel more comfortable in doing the job. I not to sure what route to take in doing the job thou.

I did have an idea of extending the wall very slightly ie. boxing the wall using MDF or plasterboard with woden struts, so that i can then run the wires down between the existing wall and the new boxed extension. The wall is about 1.5 metres wide and i wouldn't like to come to far into the room because it's already rather small so no more than an 1 inch really if possible.

This would also then allow me to fit numerous items flush because of the slight space between wall and extention. This would also allow me to keep the existing wall/plasterboard intact.

I have seen this carried out on this forum and it looks like a good idea and pretty simple. Would like to know what everybody's thoughts are on this and if it sounds like a good plan?

7. Event Horizon

Event Horizon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    hi!!
    perhaps attatching some photos of the wall would be more beneficial for good advice if possible of course.
    its rather difficult to accurately advise on something you are not able to see and im in the building trade.
    best reagrds
    nick.