In-wall WiFi Access Points

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Haven't come across them in the UK and remember that you would need to procure some US standard wall boxes in order to mount the US versions.

Have you seen HomePlugs with built-in WiFi Access Points?

Cointreauman

Has any of you tried the In-wall WiFi Access Points such as these:

www.hdwifi.com - Wireless Network Products WiFi Gear, 802.11, WISP, WLAN - In-Wall AP

Are there any other manufacturers that do such things?

Looks a useful item. Not seen them on sale over here but I know that some of the AV/Networking on-line sellers will send the US standard back box for such an item to the UK.

I thought we were beginning to see some "convergence" going on with this item

Automated Home - Useful USB Port Built Into Mains Wall Socket

I also spotted a news piece about a twin 13A plug socket with a built in Homeplug board and Cat5e outlet.

There seems to be a lot of ideas like this around

6 Way Power Strip, 200mbps Homeplug, 3 Port Ethernet - Computers - Networking & Hubs - Homeplug 6 Way Power Strip, 200mbps Homeplug, 3 Port Ethernet - UK Surplus.com surplus new stock, wholesale stock, cheap notebook computers, cheap laptops, cheap d

BUT I have to say the in-wall solution you have posted looks far more interesting.

C

PC_112

you would need to procure some US standard wall boxes in order to mount the US versions.

Would that by a problem?

Strange that no other companies make this. It seems like neat solution for WiFi coverage.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Would that by a problem?

Strange that no other companies make this. It seems like neat solution for WiFi coverage.
In my opinion yes. I have only ever seen them sold in the US.

Second Structured Cabling (the other bit that you need to make these devices work) is VERY unusual in domestic premises in the UK. Only very upmarket new builds have it and people are reluctant to take on the mess and disruption to retrofit it. So the UK market would be very small, making the production of a UK product risky.

In the UK, HomePlugs are a very popular alternative to hard wiring. Which us why I mentioned HomePlugs with built-in WiFi Access Point.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I have seen 'on ceiling' installed, looks good and probably gives better coverage than an antenna at low level as in the inwall USA boxes.

Looks just like a smoke detector:

EnGenius Meshing 11b/g Smoke Alarm WiFi - EL-M36

Mark.
I seem to be the moaning miny today. The problem with that box is if used with WDS, which means that it cuts your throughput in half. It's quite expensive too and its only 802.11g.

What I like about the blurb is the implication of extra performance "high transmitted output power". In fact it will have EXACTLY the same "transmitted output power" as everyone because that parameter is subject to law.

Last edited:

PC_112

Thanks. I am not in the UK, but in Cyprus. The wall boxes here are like the UK, but I am building my own home and I will have structured wiring and whatever else is needed. Homes here are made of concrete and brick, and it is almost impossible for the WiFi signal to pass through such walls. This is why multiple WiFi Access Points are needed to have WiFi coverage in the whole house, and I really don't want a big ugly box in every room.

I will have a look at the "on ceiling" option. Any other alternatives?

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
As long as you use in wired mode and not WDS it should do what you want. However I think that is expensive, especially as it is only 802.11g.

If I was you I'd get on the manufacturer to see if they have an 802.11n product and perhaps find a cheaper retailer than Maplin.

Additionally people sing the praises about these: www.devolo.com/consumer/77_dlan-200-av-wireless-n_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en 802.11n and not really ugly. Although I am not sure how the HomePlug network would cope with multiples.

Last edited:

the_beast

...I will have structured wiring and whatever else is needed. Homes here are made of concrete and brick, and it is almost impossible for the WiFi signal to pass through such walls. This is why multiple WiFi Access Points are needed to have WiFi coverage in the whole house, and I really don't want a big ugly box in every room.

Do you actually need/want WiFi in every room? If you are putting in structured wiring on a new build then you would be better off running enough drops of CAT6 to each room so that anything non-portable gets a proper wired connection. Then think about how many wireless points are needed - in many rooms you won't need WiFi access, and a wireless N signal will go further through brick walls than you seem to think. You may only need 1 or 2 properly placed APs to cover all the areas you need/want to properly.

PC_112

Thanks. I will not need wifi in every room, but since this is a new build I was thinking to have as much wifi coverage as possible. I expect that most electronic devices in the near future will connect to the Internet wirelessly.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I expect that most electronic devices in the near future will connect to the Internet wirelessly.
I have to disagree.

A few years ago I sold software to enable among other things "Intelligent Homes" . Our research at that time predicted a mixture of connectivity: Cabling, Power Line and WiFi. Everything that I see around me seems to support that research.

For example, at my home only the portable devices use WiFi: Laptops, iPad, PDA, Web Pad (must be the last one in captivity.). The others: Desktops, Docked Laptops, TVs, STBs, Printers, etc. use a mixture of Wired Ethernet and HomePlugs.

Last edited:

Mark Grant

I seem to be the moaning miny today. The problem with that box is if used with WDS, which means that it cuts your throughput in half. It's quite expensive too and its only 802.11g.

I mentioned them because I have seen them in a property and they work well.
Not cheap as you say, but does everything have to be cheap these days :)

Even though it is 'only' g they where plenty fast enough and as good for browsing the internet as my wired connection at home when tested on speedtest.net. (I only have a slow conection at home though, 2 meg)

The ones I have seen where installed in the holiday cottages here ( A fantastic place to stay if you like peace and quiet)
Outchester & Ross Farm Cottages, Northumberland - self catering cottage holidays near Alnwick, Northumberland

Most of the buildings on this google map all have wifi, even the ones to the right at the end of the track, no wires :)

Google Maps

on each remote buildings gable end there where these to transmit between buildings:

wifi at ross cottagaes by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

access point on the ceiling:

wifi at ross cottages by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

I must be an anorak to go away for a week and take photos of how the wifi works :laugh:

What I like about the blurb is the implication of extra performance "high transmitted output power". In fact it will have EXACTLY the same "transmitted output power" as everyone because that parameter is subject to law.

They have to sell them dont they :)
Maybe they are tweaked to the maximum allowed rather than just works, is there a law that states the minimum power of a wifi device? I really dont know that, but some devices appear to have less ranges than others which suggests that some makes are just 'adequate' where as some companies may make more of an effort.

'n' would be better, sure they will be around eventually.

Mark.

mark?

Standard Member
I imaging the range on these units will be very poor. If they've been designed for hotel room use the the signal range will be designed to cover just one hotel room so that guests in other rooms cannot use it and have to pay for their own access point.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom