Question In-Wall vs Bipole as Rear Speakers

Kootuu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All, started work in my garage conversion and getting close to having to decide on speaker placement. I've currently got some Monitor Audio RSFX Bi-Pole Speakers which I had planned on mounting on the rear wall, to the side and just above where I sit.

Unfortunately the room dimensions mean the couch will have to be right against the back wall, so I wondered if I might be better off installing some in-wall speakers on that back wall instead of the bi-poles. I'm not able to mount the bi-poles on either of the side walls.

The front 3 are all in-wall Monitor Audio CP-WT240-LCR speakers, and was thinking I could either use 2 of those again or something similar with a pivoting tweeter. Also going to have 2 ceiling speakers for a 5.1.2 setup.

Any thoughts on what would be best?

Chris

I'd try the Bi-Poles first to see if you're happy with the sound and to experiment with positioning to find the best place to put them. The slight drawback to in-walls for the surrounds would be finding the best spot for them. Although you could wire them up and test various positions (before going ahead and cutting holes in your wall).

Yea I was going to try and wire them up tonight and see, never owned in-wall speakers before but as they have a enclosed box built-in I guess they will sound roughly the same once they're installed properly.

By best spot do you mean the distance (width and height) of them compared to my seating position? I've never had bi-pole speakers before and bought them on a whim, but I've heard mixed things about their success when combined with Atmos ceiling speakers which made me think in-wall direct speakers might be better for my needs.

Yea I was going to try and wire them up tonight and see, never owned in-wall speakers before but as they have a enclosed box built-in I guess they will sound roughly the same once they're installed properly.

By best spot do you mean the distance (width and height) of them compared to my seating position? I've never had bi-pole speakers before and bought them on a whim, but I've heard mixed things about their success when combined with Atmos ceiling speakers which made me think in-wall direct speakers might be better for my needs.

Yes, in terms of the best spot with regards to your listening position. If you're going for an Atmos setup then you'll want the surrounds lower down around head height so you maintain a decent distance from the height/ceiling speakers.

Bi-Poles can work very well as surrounds in an Atmos setup so it's down to personal preference as to whether you like a more diffuse surround field or a direct one.

It's really a case of experimenting with where to put them on the back wall. Either spread apart, closer together or even angled across the wall corners. The right position can make a huge difference to the overall soundstage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom