Question In wall sub options

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bardel, Feb 11, 2018.

1. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I’m currently going through a complete house renovation and have a custom installer replacing the home automation system with Control4. We’re making a number of changes along the way as you would expect.

The house is quite open between rooms and we have a kitchen / dining area which has 2 sets of ceiling speakers which we are putting into the same zone.

I went to my dealers to try some ceiling speakers. The basic entry units (Phantom from memory) were quite poor, in fact no better than the Systemline ones currently in place really!

I then listened to 3 sets of Origin acoustic ceiling speakers at £800 / £1000 / £1500 per pair price points.

None of them were great if I’m honest, although the 3 way units (£1,000) seemed to be the sweet spot for sound / price to me. However all of them were lacking in bass (as do the current ones). I realise that these are only ceiling speakers and primarily used for background music but I want more from them!

So we started speaking about supplementing with an in wall sub. I’ve left this with the CI currently but have been looking at alternative ceiling speakers. I’ve had MonitorAudio silver and gold speakers before and like their sound and note that MA have a range of ceiling speakers as well as an in wall sub.

I see a number of references to BK IW300 on here and wonder how they might compare to the MA sub.

I’m thinking now I need to get an extra speaker cable sent up to the dining room from the basement to allow for this. Unless there is a simple way to take a speaker level input from the ceiling speaker into a localised sub amp?

One more question, I’m toying with doing the same in the master bedroom but the best location for the sub would be behind the bed (and somewhat blocked by the bed, not completely but only with 2-3 inches free space in front of it). Is this going to work?

Thanks

Barry

2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
  3. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Think I’m just going to stick with this in just the kitchen / diner. The CI has come up with a Triad in wall sub recommendation and are going to run new cables up from the rack for this.

The decorators will have to wait a bit longer!

Thanks for the link Allan, I see that model is no longer available. Their newer 8” in wall sub is north of £2,599 and the 13.5” v2 which replaces the one in the review a cool £5,100, so I think these are out of the question for the occasional use this zone will be getting.