In wall speakers

mike.hutch

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking for some budget in wall speakers, and have come across these on ebay from the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180019779775

They look OK, but seem very cheap for what they are. Any opinions anyone? I've contacted them and they quoted $285 for two pairs and a matching centre speaker including UPS airmail shipping, sounds too good to be true?

I've put this in the DIY section as it's sort of DIY speakers, but it may be better off in the speaker section.

:)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Its an in between one but i will move it to speakers as you should get more response from that part of the forums :cool:

What are you going to be using them for?.
You really need a back box as well. Budget inwall speakers are a no go imo, its difficult enough getting the expensive ones to sound great.

They are going in a new bedroom that is going to have a home cinema in it.

Basically I was going to convert my garage into a home cinema room, but due to having another baby I've had to make it into a bedroom.

Anyway, instead of letting the baby have the new room I've decided to make it the main bedroom of the house and build a discreet home cinema in there, hence the need for in wall speakers. I don't want anything amazing, just a reasonable 5.1 system.

Hi
I've several in wall / in cieling speakers in my house.I am a very BIG fan of the Speakercraft range and find that if you fit them well they can sound great.Back cans are not always needed,you can use rockwool or the cavity ,they often work well.
You can get thier basic 6inch MT range from about £150 each a bit more thanyou where looking at but they come with a lifetime warantee.

As it happens, I do have a set of KEF ci200QT(3 of) and ci130DS (2 of) kicking about which I was going to use for a project. May be tempted to part with them if you're interested.

Darrin

Dazmeister said:
As it happens, I do have a set of KEF ci200QT(3 of) and ci130DS (2 of) kicking about which I was going to use for a project. May be tempted to part with them if you're interested.

Darrin

How much are you after? They look very nice, but I suspect you are after a lot more than I want to spend.

Intersting one this. Does anyone know whether satellite speakers placed into a wall would do OK (old victorian house, so proper walls!)? Something along the lines of Mission M-cubes. So you would remove a couple of bricks, punch a hole in, feed speaker cable down the cavity wall, plaster up the inside of your new speaker housing to make it nice and flat, seal up the hole where the speaker cable went to stop any creepy crawlies crawling through, connect speaker up, resting on the plastered up hole. You could then make some sort of grill from acoustic cloth which could be placed over the speaker to keep it hidden (any colour which goes with the room decor).

Just an idea I had, that's all.

Wonder if it would work with slightly larger ones as well such as B&W M-1 satelite speakers?

Speakers built to work in wall or in ceiling from qualitity manufacturers will sound great.Its what they have been designed to do,box speakers built into wall just sound .....well not that good.Any hole that you cut would have to be spot on.Box speakers are made up of three things, drive units,x overs and cabinets.Stick them in the wall and you increase the size of the box,thats one of the reasons that speaker stands often have top and bottom spikes,max rigiditty with min contact.
Its a bit like cars,Honda make very nice cars , the new Civic is very roomy,drives well and can take you and the Mrs and the kids to the seeside for a nice day out.Honda also make a very nice F1 car ,i'd love to see someone take the wife and kids out in that!

All makes sense, thanks for the advice. Thing with in wall speakers is that they are pretty big, and therefore come with big grills, which would not please the missus. Best bet would maybe be to look at discreetly placing Gallos / m-cubes around the room.

Thanks for that.

If you look about you will find some very small inwall in ceilings.When we moved the deal was that i could have the PJ if we got rid of all the speakes.Ask her indoors what shed rather have,box or grill on wall or in ceiling.Speaker grills can be painted to the same colour as the wall and just blend in,i'd post a pick but you cant see them:D

All woman are soooo the same!! How would ceiling mounted speakers work for 5.1 surround?

Cheers.

I use in ceiling fronts and rears,the centre is in wall( there was a joist in the way of the centre).Does sound very good and gets the "where the bloomin' eck are the speakers".
My fronts a re Speakercraft AIM8Fives,these have a pivoting bass unit with a tweeter that pivots on the axis of the bass speaker.This enables very good imaging with the speakers at the far end of the room.

Sounds good, though not sure I'd like to start hacking away at the ceiling in an old house (would go in the lounge). Another option would just be to wall mount the rears (small things such as Gallo's) and get a decent piece of furniture to go along the wall and stick the fronts and centre speakers on there. Would have an electric screen for the projector and that should jsut about suffice!

Beware Beware Beware !!!!

Earlier this year I spent $800 on Kevlar speakers from US seller on Fleabay...their communication was crap and after a while it was clear no speakers were coming...note that your sale will not have full £500 paypal protection either as seller has less than 99% satisfaction rate so even if you pay with paypal and things go wrong you will only get about $100 back in refund...your credit card company will be just as helpful as sale from a non uk country does not qualify for same payment protection ...my sale WAS eventually sorted but hate to think how much it cost in phone calls....my advice is stick to UK sellers or buy them when you are next on your hols in the USA !!!! Too good to be true prices usually are just that...TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE !!!

Beetle

mixmanx said:
Guys,

I'm looking for some budget in wall speakers, and have come across these on ebay from the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180019779775

They look OK, but seem very cheap for what they are. Any opinions anyone? I've contacted them and they quoted $285 for two pairs and a matching centre speaker including UPS airmail shipping, sounds too good to be true?

I've put this in the DIY section as it's sort of DIY speakers, but it may be better off in the speaker section.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom