1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in-wall speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paublo, Apr 6, 2002.

1. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone got any experience of in-wall speakers. I am looking into a multi-room system and would like recommendations for flush mounted in-wall speakers...

I have briefly demo'ed Kef - seemed ok, am I expecting too much.. how good can they be ?

Any comments appreciated..

Thanks
    Paul.

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    in wall/in ceiling seems to be a growing trend! i have looked at these in the past and the some of the following were auditioned (at shows mostly!):
    M&K
    Triad
    ArtCoustic (is that right?)
    SpeakerCraft
    Sonance
    Boston Acoustics
    B&W
    the ones that stood out for me were the triad and the ArtCoustics. the latter especially as they can make custom grills from material and they look and sound fantastic!!!
    not many shops seem to reccomend in wall/ceiling, its worth ringing around:)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    We use LOTS of in-wall speakers.

B+W's NT ish ones are good but require a deep wall....not so easy.

Linn Sekrits are an excellent design for sound quality but that makes them mildly awkward to install compared to the others. They do sound good though!

Snell make some fantastic in-wall speakers for home theater use. Really fabulous sound but at higher end of costs.

The Sonance stuff is pretty good.

If you are thinking of multi-room you should be able to get your supplier of kit to take you to an installation where thye have used some of this stuff. Then you can get a real idea of what the thing looks like and sounds like in situ.

Gordon

4. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks guys... gonna have a good hunt around....

my other half just want sound in each room... I want to add quality...

Kef's around £380 per pair for the big inwalls... seems expensive..

Cheers
    Paul

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyperfi are doing some inwall Kef,s half price, not sure what they are like.

6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I've recently changed to in walls.

Best thing I've ever done. The lounge looks like a lounge again and there's more space for very little sonic comprimise IMO. After lots of research, I went for KEF as they work really well off axis. the front two compared favourably to my ears with reference 1,2s which were my floorstander of choice previously, replacing Q55.2s. The bass isn't as well defined lower down but can be tuned using rockwool or similar. I've opted for less bass but a tighter sound and let my sub provide the real lows.

The whole kit works together brilliantly, and the front two are more than up to coping with my intended upgrades to Tag when they happen.

Note of caution; try to get as much reinforcement of the baffles as practicable, I have the reference 2000s mounted in 3/4 inch mdf behind the plasterboard, which took a bit of work and a little replastering to get right.

It's just an opinion, but 'stealth ' systems are far more impressive when you fire them up and immerse yourself in quality sound than mountains of av gear on show PLUS the other half gives you less hassle!

The KEFs aren't the best on the market, but IMO they are the best comprimise between price and performanceand the Reference series give a taste of the high end sound. And no, I don't work for them!

Hope this helps:)

7. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are the in-walls a good match for the centre? I had thought that the 2000's were supposed to match the 200 centre. Do you find that any noise comes through the wall into other rooms? Did you audition any other in-walls from KEF?

Thanks
    Andy

8. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks guyz...

Having discussed the options for inwalls, my other half has decided to keep the main system untouched (phew) but use in-roof speakers for around the new house.. Kef's are definately on the cards..

Thanks all... I'll go and check hyperfi now...

9. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Problem solved!

The 100c is a pretty good match for the ref 2000's as it uses the same high/mid driver and is a great speaker in its own right. I built it into a custom made fire surround so that it didn't stick out like a sore thumb, and made room for the 200c just in case. Havent had a great desire to upgrade though, which says something.

I was lucky enough to hear most of the in wall range to some extent. The bottom range stuff is strictly for fill in i bathrooms etcbut any of the mid and high end of the range is good enough for allbut the most demanding

10. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    milkeaitch
    the kef 2000 how high have you mounted them to the bottom of the speaker & can they be toed inwards.
    I have model 0ne fronts & would like to go for the 2000's as fronts & keep my c100 as centre
    any sugestions most wellcome
    P@T

11. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Pat

They are 25cm from the floor, there isn't any toe in capability since there is a rigid metal frame through which the speakers are bolted.

Since they work well off axis, I find the imaging pretty good, although the floorstanders did sound better to my ears when slightly toed in.

The 200 would be the best match, but the 100c blends quite well in practice. You will hear a slightly different sonic signature when cycling through the test tone, but this seems not to show up much in practice.

Since mine are effectively in their own mdf box built each side of the fireplace , then drylined with 125mm plasterboard (soundbloc), there is little leakage of sound. I don't know how they would react to studded walls if the majority of the walls were of that construction; I made sure I used plenty of rockwool to cut down resonant spaces.

I'm moving to a new house soon too, so I'll have to do it all again!!

The grilles sprayed very well after being teated with ESP, a wipe on wipe off pretreatment, the holes kept clogging up on the 1st one I tried

12. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know what the model and price of these are?

Majik