1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by moviemike, Sep 3, 2004.

1. moviemike

moviemike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm building a home theatre in my basement and I was just about to buy the following speakers:

B&W CWM500: Front speakers (in-wall)
    B&W CCM50: Rear speakers (in ceiling)
    B&W LR60: Centre Channel
    B&W ASW600: Subwoofer

However a friend is able to get me some Boston Acoustics in-wall/in-ceiling speakers with a 30% discount. Can anyone tell me 1) are Boston Acoustics any good (compared with B&W), and which speakers to go for.

(Builders and electricians start next week so I need to make up my mind soon!)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Bostons are good in wal/ceiling units, used to use them quite alot on Multiroom installs, cant see any reason why they would not work with B&W. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/index.asp suggest you email both Boston and B&W and ask them which speakers would compliment the in walls you have bought. Also contact accoustic Energy who are Bostons UK distributor for a local dealer who can demo and advise you on suitable partners

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    jmlab do in-walls but they are pretty dear

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    moviemike

Designing an In-wall/ceiling system is difficult enough without rushing into it due to the builders timetable or the need to save 30% on a discounted range; 30% off may not seem such great value if you hate the sound of your system.

You need to design your system to suit your room - room size, number and placement of seats, room acoustics, amplification, and of course budget all play a part.

At this stage you need to worry more about the room acoustics and where to pull cable's too - the choice of speaker can come later.

If you have the budget and want to ensure you get things right from the start I'd find out how much it is to have an acoustic analysis of your room undertaken; that way you can determine where to put the speakers and where to put any required room treatments. I'm always amazed that folk in one thread can describe how moving a conventional cabinet speaker an inch can make a big difference to the sound of the system and we all seem to accept the best place for in walls is where its easiest for the joiner to get his (or her) jig-saw!!!

What's your budget and what will you be driving the system with - there are lots of In wall systems; we do Atlantic Technology which include THX Ultra systems and lower down the price list include the TriVector ceiling speakers which are good at not producing the 'localised' sound you get with many ceiling speakers when you try to use them as a Surround Sound speaker.

See http://www.atlantictechnology.com/ > Products > Hidden Speaker systems.

I've heard the B&W Signature In-wall range and done correctly they are very good - though not inexpensive.

I've not used the Boston speakers so cant say which range will be on a par technically with the B&W speakers you've indicated - Installed systems are MUCH bigger business in the US so the US manufacturers have much wider options and prices to choose from.

Drop me a note if you want any further info on the Atlantic Technology 'systems' (note systems not just a collection of flush mount speakers) and Piers at Home Cinema Engineering (see banner adds) can undertake an In room (or possibly virtual) Audio analysis for you.

Best regards

Joe