1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in wall speakers vs wall mounted compact speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by js911, May 15, 2005.

1. js911

js911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of setting up our newly built family room for home theatre + music. One constraint imposed on me (via my better half) is an aesthetically pleasing effect i.e. NO large floor speakers etc.

The two options I am considering are in-wall / in -ceiling speakers such as the Monitor Audio Gold's OR wall mounted compact speakers such as the MA radius for example. I already have a pair of Radius 180's + REL sub in the living room and have been reasonably pleased with this (although I do think a little light in the mid-range)

My initial instinct was the in-wall speakers but its proving hard to audition this and obviously even of I could it might be noting like my room's acoustic set-up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter ? Can an in-ceiling speaker (even an expensive one!) get close to a separate box OR will the larger drive units of the MA gold out weigh the constraints of being in the wall/ceiling.

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard two in wall speakers during my search for speakers. My wife was also not too pleased with big boxes !! I listened to the Kef and Paradigm's. Both very impressive for in walls. However when my wife saw the Kef Q series she was impressed with their asthetics and agreed to have them in our lounge. Have you considered the Kef Q1's or Q Compacts ?? They would make good bookshelves and the REL would compensate for their lack of bass response well. Obviously I am biased towards them but I think you will find that their midrange is brilliant, the uni-q driver really does do what it says. What I did notice is that a boxed speaker as opposed to an in wall type produced a more natural sound, perhaps some colouration from the walls or just poorly installed. Hope I have been of some help ?!?!

3. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Also consider M&Ks in-wall series.

4. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    M&K in walls are outstanding ugly though...........

6. js911

js911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll also take a look at the M&K. As mentioned a little
    ugly but very discrete. The Kef Q1's wouldn't pass the decor test !

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    js911

In-Wall and In-Ceiling should be considered different beasts - these days In-Wall can very good and there are also some On-wall options to consider.

Artcoustic sound excellent and being 'Picture Frames' can look like whatever you want them to look like - and often you can get the nod from the 'Powers that be' to spend a little more on your Loudspeaker system as the Artcoustic can also be considered part of the 'Interior design' budget'. :)

See http://www.artcoustic.com

Atlantic Technology take the core driver and crossover technology from their award winning Home Theatre range and provide very high quality In-Wall solutions - which you can mix and match with their more conventional 'cabinets' due to the use of common components.

See http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_10.htm

If you want really high quality they also have a THX Ultra option:

See http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_20.htm

In-Wall and On-Wall is becoming big business so lots more options out there.

Best regards

Joe

8. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tujax...

VERY nice, given me something to consider :) the nice thing about kefs is you CAN put them just about anywhere and they still sound good !!

Skinny