In wall speakers - Around £1,500 to spend for LCR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thomasjohnflynn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    HI All,

I am looking at swapping my front sound stage of PMC GB1, DB1 and going in wall.

The problem I am having is the number of in wall speakers out there and the difficulty in auditioning.

Looking so far at:

Polk
    Totem
    Speaker craft
    Definitive Technology
    Tannoy
    Proficient
    List goes on............

I already have a BKXLS400 sub and some MK Column surrounds so its really just the front three.

Preferences are about 80% movies 20% music. I have loved the PMC's but think maybe something a little more movie centered.

Also can't go with the Wafers as they will be to deep for the space I have.

Any help any one can offer in what they have heard and liked would be great.

Thanks

Tom

2. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hello

MK do some great inwalls. I have heard the inwall 150's and they were stunning. The inwall 95's would be more or less around your budget.

They would go well with your column surrounds.

Regards
    Megson

3. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that and one to add to the list, can't see them anywhere though in the UK.

4. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Try Allan @ IdealAV.

I've also listened to the 150 in-walls at Al's and they sound stunning, although a bit over budget. As Megson has rightly said 95's would fit your budget although not quite in the same league as the 150's.

You seem to be ruling out some of the more main stream brands...

PMC do the Wafer in-walls and I'm guessing you're a B&W fan?

Kef do some superb in-walls

Likewise for Monitor Audio and B&W. Have a look here HiFix the Hi Fi and Audio professionals at the brands listed and the in-walls available.

5. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    HI Arcam_Boy,

I have discounted the PMC Wafer's due to there depth, they will be installed over a fire place with the TV above the centre.

Never really heard B&W's to be honest so not sure what they would be like.

I have discounted KEF as the last set of KEF speakers I owned IQ70 I really didn't like. Found them very bright.

I moved to my PMC's and have really liked them, not changed them for years now.

How much do the MK 150's retail for?

Thanks

Tom

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    I have a feeling that inwall speakers for your budget are going to be a downgrade interms of sound quality compared to your current speakers. Hence you may end up feeling disappointed after the change. If possible go and listen to them first to ensure they are OK.

7. Gboardman1959

Gboardman1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hi I have the MK150s they are£995 if you are anywhere near Yorkshire ideal av have a must see demo rooms of all the MK inwalls

8. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ah... Thanks for the reply but sadly that is way over my budget so I don't even want to listen to them for fear of being disappointed.

I think I now have it down to either the MK IW95 or the Definitive Technology UIW RLS II. Both over my initial budget I know but then a little creep is aloud surely.

Anybody heard the Definitive Technology UIW RLS II?

Also if I go for the MK IW95 will my BK XLS400 be enough?

Thanks all.

Tom

9. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think your'e right in terms of music, I know my PMC's are great music speakers but as I am now much more movie focused I wonder if the loss will be that great.

I am also really keen on the idea of getting some of my lounge back by using in-walls as well.

I will definitely try and have a listen first though.

Thanks

10. Gboardman1959

Gboardman1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    That's what happend to me I went to ideal av just for the demo and ended up spending my inheritance even if you went for the 95s I'm sure you won't be disappointed .If you could possibly get up to Ideal AV you would be in for a real treat he as got one of the best setups for in wall speakers you will ever see
    Geoff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  11. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ok, I am now in the situation that I need to demo an in wall system to give me an idea of what I need to buy and at what cost. I have looked and looked and feel like I am getting to the point that I have no idea what to purchase.

The MK IW95's look good but I am worried that MK have not moved on much in the last few years, this is purely my thoughts at the moment and is not based on any actual listening.

Does anybody know of a place to demo some in wall speakers in either the west midlands area or central london?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

12. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    genelec do in wall kits for there small active monitors

13. Gboardman1959

Gboardman1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The MK IW95's look good but I am worried that MK have not moved on much in the last few years, this is purely my thoughts at the moment and is not based on any actual listening.

Exactly why change a winning formula

14. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Fair enough, anybody know where I can get a listen to some 95's near the west midlands or london?

Thanks

Tom

15. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I have the 150's as my front LCR and 95's as surrounds. I'm more east midlands but you're welcome to demo

16. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that and very kind of you. I have a fear though i am going to end up loving the 150's. I am booking some demos up now so will come back to you if you dont mind.

Thanks

Tom

17. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    The PMC in-walls aren't that deep...

wafer2-iw

100mm according to the spec sheet, my B&W's are 95mm and they were pretty shallow.

I still wouldn't rule out B&W, not as detailed as the 150's but a warm full sound and certainly a very cinematic sound!

Unfortunately in-walls aren't the easiest speakers to demo but if you're looking at spending £1500 its worth getting a decent demo before parting with your money although that may be doubling if you go down the 150 route! :devil:

18. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks Arcam_Boy,

I think I may have not been clear though, the depth I should of really said width / shortest edge as I will place the centre under the tv.

Funny you should mention the B&W though as I am going to arrange a demo for next week in London of some B&W in walls, so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Tom

19. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Also regarding the PMC in walls, how would they compare to the MK 150's as they are the same price. I will be running a sub so don't need the extra depth they would offer as I would run them small with I think the standard 80hz crossover.

Thanks again

Tom

20. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Which model B&W's are you going to listen to?

I've not personally heard the PMC in-walls but guessing they'd sound pretty good and I'm guessing you're already a PMC fan if you're currently running there speakers?

I do like the 150's and the dynamics are exceptional however for me, and this is a personal preference, they are too dynamic and bright and instead of the warm cinematic experience you would get at a cinema you get bags of detail and it can sometimes be a little too much even in a properly treated room and 400w per channel being fed in to each one!

If I personally had £3000 (£1000 x 3) on three in-walls I'd probably opt for the B&W Signature in-walls. Stunning sounding speakers, not quite as dynamic as the 150's but a fuller more cinematic sound and much better with music for the odd occasion you fancy spinning a music cd.

However the Signature's are on the large side so you may have to look if you can accommodate them in your room :rolleyes:

21. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think to be honest I will try if i can to stick closer to my budget so something like the B&W 7.4 or the B&W CWM LCR 8. I need to go and have a listen now though to get a feel.

Yes I am a PMC fan but that is based on a limited amount of listening to other brands so I am open to look around.

Thanks

Tom

22. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I was thinking of getting the B&W Signatures since I'd been using B&W 804s and liked them. I'd also heard the B&W Custom Theatre speakers at Dr Gekko's, whilst not in-walls they were behind his screen and reinforced the B&W's appeal.
    Whilst I was still in the planning stage I had a demo of Allan's MK 150's which I also liked and the size of them fitted in with my AT screen plans which made me unsure of which direction I should go.
    Then by chance I came across someone selling a used set of in-wall 150's on here and they were at the right price so that helped make up my mind.

23. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    The Wafers are supposed be just as good as their more traditionally shaped counterparts, that said if I recall correctly they never got the 'i' makeover and are effectively in wall of the '+' version.

Just a though actually, i know you said the Wafers were too deep but were you aware they com in two versions? An in-wall and an on-wall? Could the on-wall be an option?

24. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,890
    Just a suggestion: Why not put the centre above the TV as if it's going above a fireplace then IMHO it's too high anyway and putting a speaker under it will make it even more so. This way perhaps you could keep your PMCs and just put a single wafer in wall above the TV: They have tweeters that can be angled which should help.

I've often considered changing my surrounds to wafer 1s myself as a better match than my M&K K4s and K5 surrounds as I have TB2+ fronts.

25. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,385
    Hi Tom

If you want to listen to both IW150 or 95 I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed with either, the 95's for me anyway really do make a fine front speaker with loads of speed,attack and presence and are more than good enough, I use them as fronts, extra height fronts, back surrounds and all 4 ceiling mounted surrounds in different rooms

You wouldn't be disappointed I'd have thought and I'd recommend having a demo of them

I would recommend you go to Gecko but Rob doesn't have inwalls on demo

And theirs no reason your BK sub wouldn't go with the MK's but you might want to change it in the future

Allan @ Ideal AV

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  26. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    You've already been mentioned Al as the perfect person to go to fourth post in ;-)

27. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Kelvin,

Yes this is an option and one that I am not ruling out. I really want to go completely in wall if I can, but if I don't like any of the speakers I audition then I may well do as you suggested.

It would also make my TV lower as you rightly mentioned.

Thanks

28. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like you got a good deal! Will audition as many as I can but the 150's will be on the list. Just didn't want to spend that much though.

29. thomasjohnflynn

thomasjohnflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    HI Allan,

Thanks for the response, I am off to listen to some B&W next week and then once I have some time I will make a visit to listen to the MK's both IW95 and 150's. The 95's would certainly be better on the budget front.

Good news on the BK for now then!

Thanks

30. lordlemon

lordlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How about Triad i had a demo today of speakers that were £500 each they sounded way nicer than Monitor Audio Apex