In-wall speaker cable and sockets

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lozfuller, May 31, 2018.

1. lozfuller

lozfuller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm building an extension and am looking to put a socket in the wall behind my amplifier for both speakers (i.e. left and right times two) and then a socket for each speaker in the wall behind where each speaker will be situated.

Could someone point me in the direction of a decent supplier of such sockets please and also advise as to some decent in-wall speaker cable to connect these?

I assume I would then use banana plugs for these sockets?

Also, I'm looking to use the following company for all my switches and sockets in my extension so would also like to use these for the speaker sockets so everything matches - would the following plates be compatible with the speaker sockets?

Silver Double Data Port Socket with Black or White Inserts

Many thanks,

Loz

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Wall plates - how often are you planning on connecting or disconnecting your Loudspeakers? There is little (if any) need to use terminated Wall plates - they can only ever add an unwanted break in your cable run.

Wall plates - use a double gang Brush style plate behind your AVR and a simple grommet or a single gang plate behind your speakers.

Loudspeakers - what are you planning to use?

Speaker cable - VanDamme Blue series 2x2.5mm will suffice for most installations.

Joe

3. lozfuller

lozfuller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe

The reason I need to use sockets is because I need to hide the speaker cable in the wall since we will have a tiled floor and I don't want the cable running across the floor. Does that make sense?

In terms of the cable length does it matter if one cable is only a metre or so while the other is about 10 metres?

Thanks

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Yes Joe gets that but unless you plan not to have speakers connected, then with a brushed plate such as this you don't get breaks in the cables.

[​IMG]

It's recommend to avoid breaks in cable wherever possible.

No so long as its the same cable it will be fine.

Also +1 for Van Damme Blue