1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In wall, in ceiling, freestanding or combination

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Philkazzie, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Philkazzie

Philkazzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you could say I'm confused :confused:

Looking to totally modify the lounge and replace current kit with new. Wife and I both like minimalist approach and originally looked at all "in-ceiling" speakers. Now, having reconsidered, I still like the look of my existing Mission 752 fronts (floor standing) but need to consider placement of centre and rears.
    I'm having a false chimney breast built to mount my plasma in and could also mount a centre speaker under the plasma in this false wall. Alternatively the centre could go in the ceiling.
    I definitely don't want free standing rears so they must go "in-wall" or "in-ceiling".
    So ........... any ideas??

I could keep the Mission 752's or replace these as well. Budget is circa. £1,200 for 5 speakers (or 3 if I keep the 752's) plus sub. (probably rel quake).

Regards,

Phil

2. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Phil,

I'm also after that minimalist look. Front speakers will be floorstanders but will be screened from sight with fabric frames (acoustically neutral - or whatever the terminology is) and I'm going for in-wall and in-ceiling surrounds. I don't like rear surrounds on puny stands or, even worse, hanging off the walls. Trouble is built in speakers give you less flexibility with seat positioning. You need to be sure the setup is right before you commit to cutting holes in the walls and ceiling! At least with rear stands you can move them around until your happy with the surround field. I was (am) thinking of having 2 ceiling speakers for the main rear surrounds - right above (and slightly behind) the seating. I would hope this would give a good enveloping sound stage. I will be wiring up for 7.1 and when I get the funds I was thinking of in-wall speakers behind the seating for the rear surround field. I have been looking at the Canton units because I am getting the Canton CD100/CD50 front combination - plus they have a good rep and are reasonably priced if you get them from Germany. Your budget is bigger than mine so you might want to look at
    these and these .

If anyone else out there in AV land has a similar setup would be good to hear your thoughts. I'm still not sure whether I should forgo the ceiling speakers and go for 4 in wall units or maybe swop the ceiling and wall ones around. Maybe it makes no difference :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ray

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The centre speaker is an issue Phil as it is very important in getting a good experience from a home cinema that the 3 fronts match each other - as an extreme example a motorbike panning from left to right could start off sounding like a harley, turn into a 50cc moped when it gets to the centre and then back to a harley when it is back to the right speaker. The accepted way of ensuring consistancy is to buy the centre from the same company and same model range as the front Left & Right.

Whilst I have never experienced in ceiling speakers for a centre I cannot imagine that it would work well (unless your TV will almost be at ceiling height) as the sound will clearly be coming from above the TV rather than from the people speaking on the screen. Likewise for similar reasons as above the front 3 speakers should ideally all have their tweeters at the same height to avoid the sound jumping arround the room.

In wall speakers are certainly a very good option for the rear 2/4 speakers though - but as Ray points out - you have to be very sure of placement and the room layout as it is a much more significant job to alter them than a pair of speakers hung on the wall! (wouldnt suit my better half who likes to change the layout on a monthly basis)

4. Philkazzie

Philkazzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the useful replies.

Rayfin - the 2 links to "hifibitz" did not work. Can you please tell me what they were supposed to link to?? Thanks.

Regards,

Phil

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Tht's strange - they still work for me. Anyway go to www.hifibitz.co.uk and in the left hand menu go to speakers and then there are options for in wall and in ceiling speakers

Ray

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    hyperfi have gave the Kef Ci (custom install- ceiling and in-wall) on "special" offer.

7. simeyfour

simeyfour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at the exact same thing.

Have you had a look at the KEF Ci200.2QT's ?

http://www.kef.com/products/ciseries/ci200qt.html

Quote from their site "Easily configured for infrared remote control, the Ci 200.2QT Features an integral motor to position the 200mm (8") 2 way UNI-Q driver at the optimum angle with the press of a button. Operates as a conventional ceiling-mount speaker when fully retracted."

Might be ideal for fronts and centre.
    Standard ceiling mounts for all rears in 7.1 config?

In fact its 4.30 in the morning and i've been looking at a solution all night...LOL

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello all

For those considering 'In-ceiling' keep in mind you get sound 'above' the speakers too - not good if you have a bedroom above the Home Theatre!

The KEF Ci200 are big - when retracted they are a fair bit bigger than your average 'In ceiling' speaker and when 'deployed' they look like an air conditioning duct - I don't think I'd use them in anyone's front room.

If 'In-ceiling' will work in your rooms there are plenty of options for very high quality systems with 'steerable' HF units so you can aim the sound towards your preferred listening position - see http://www.atlantictechnology.com/icts_6_3.htm for one example.

Phil - I'm with Astaroth! If you were to retain your Floor standers I'd try and locate the matching Centre to go with your Mission 752 and build the Centre into your false wall; set at the same height as the HF drivers in your floor standers.

You could use Artcoustic 'on-wall' speakers for the surrounds - Diablo Mini's have an SRP of £695.00 a pair - see http://www.artcoustic.co.uk

You could also consider Atlantic Technology 'In-wall' for the surrounds - the System 20e SR are a Dipole/Bipole design to compliment your Mission Front array.

Alternatively if you do fancy a very high quality 'stealth' installation and do away with the Mission 752 you could go:

On-wall - with a bit more budget (+1K) you could consider a full Diablo 5.1 Cinema Pack; we often find the 'look' of the Artcoustic speakers allows you to pull budget from the 'Decor' budget :)

In-wall - your budget would just about stretch to a full Atlantic Technology THX Ultra System 20 - see http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_20.htm

Read the System 20 Review - these are well worth considering!

Food for thought!

Joe

9. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You mention that you are planning to have a plasma installed into a false chimney breast. Are you thinking of having it over a fire? If so then my advice to you is that this would be a tragic error of taste and design and that you might well live to regret it.