In-Wall HDMI cables aren't quite 4k - any suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I do hope someone can help. Maybe not desperate but pretty close ;-)
Before my wall got plasterboarded, I put cables in from one room to the other, so I could have a TV on the wall with no boxes in that room.
It was a bit tight, drilling holes in several 4x2 uprights, so pulling through was not easy due to the connector size & probably impossible now unless I pull off the connectors or something.
I used the best cables I could get at the time, but that was before 4k cables were available (4k was just a future dream).
The cables have HDMI connectors on their ends, so to make it neat, I have some F-F connectors on wall plates (UK based, so square wall plates).
So now I have cables between these two rooms which aren't officially 4k, but work with some devices...
Laptop = fine, works a treat at 4k, Bluray player= mostly fine at 4k, occasionally hiccups,
I bought a PS4pro at the beginning of lockdown 1.0 but only just using it now & it won't even recognise the Sony TV on the other end of the cable (same one the laptop was just using as a test).
Pulling new cables through isn't going to be a "this year" thing, that's for sure. The TV only just made it onto the wall!

I have 4 such cables, so I am wondering if anyone might have a good suggestion on how to "fix" this?
Anyone know of a way I can maybe use 2 cables to make one 4k path? Or maybe pull off the connectors & replace with something more 4k?
Thanks in advance, I so hope there's someone who can help.
Happy Easter.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If the cables are long enough you could try removing the F>F faceplates and have direct connection to your Display device - if that is not an option you can try a device such as the HDFury DR HDMI 4K (with external Power) in place of the wall plate and then the short cable to your Display device.

Ultimately the installed cables may not ever fully work with a full bandwidth 4K UHD signal and replacing the cables may be your best option.

As a last resort you can use the installed HDMI cable as a 'CAT' cable by removing the HDMI connectors and re-terminating with a CAT wall plate and then add a set of 4K UHD/HDR/HDCP2.2 capable extenders to the 'CAT' cable.

Joe

Otto Pylot

It's not only the connector ends it's also how well made the cable body is. If the existing cable doesn't work now for some or all of your devices, then you may not have a choice but to do some serious cable replacement. The cable is just the data pipe. It can not modify or alter the signal. This is where planning ahead and using a conduit becomes critical. That makes replacing your cabling so much easier and safer. It also makes controlling bend radius, which is critical for optimal signal propagation, easier. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof cabling.

The most reliable cable connection for 4k HDR is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. This is especially true for active cables if you choose to go that route.

HDBT may be an option but I'll let the resident expert, @Joe Fernand speak to that.

If the cables are long enough you could try removing the F>F faceplates and have direct connection to your Display device - if that is not an option you can try a device such as the HDFury DR HDMI 4K (with external Power) in place of the wall plate and then the short cable to your Display device.

Ultimately the installed cables may not ever fully work with a full bandwidth 4K UHD signal and replacing the cables may be your best option.

As a last resort you can use the installed HDMI cable as a 'CAT' cable by removing the HDMI connectors and re-terminating with a CAT wall plate and then add a set of 4K UHD/HDR/HDCP2.2 capable extenders to the 'CAT' cable.

Joe

I would like to thank Joe for his helpful - and successful - suggestion to use the Dr HDMI device from The Media Factory.
Got it working on 5 minutes. (well, 5 minutes of actually using it & ages getting the opportunity then ages setting it all up, then 5 mins actually watching it & hitting the slider once to make it work!)
It worked on mode 7, so now I think I probably need to have one in use & one in the cupboard for the next thing to be connected!

I never believe the "plug & play" malarky, it's technology so of course it doesn't work like they promise - but in this case it worked. Nice one, thanks.

Bit pricey but less than the cost of re-plastering!
Thanks, brilliant.
;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom