In-wall Cable Management & Surge Outlets

JerDoggMcKoy

Novice Member
Hello everyone, I'm currently working on th electrical for my basement finish. I'm trying to figure out how to best build in the proper outlets and in-wall cable management solutions.

1.) Is it better to use surge protector outlet receptacles? Or normal outlet receptacles and a power surge power strip?

2.) I have my 77" sony bravia oled. It will plug into an outlet directly behind it and have some sort of hidden, in wall cable management for the Xbox and audio HDMI cables to connect through. Any suggestions on what products work best? I kind of feel like it sort of depends on the answer to question #1 first.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Happy New Year everyone!

MattyBB

Hello everyone, I'm currently working on th electrical for my basement finish. I'm trying to figure out how to best build in the proper outlets and in-wall cable management solutions.

1.) Is it better to use surge protector outlet receptacles? Or normal outlet receptacles and a power surge power strip?

2.) I have my 77" sony bravia oled. It will plug into an outlet directly behind it and have some sort of hidden, in wall cable management for the Xbox and audio HDMI cables to connect through. Any suggestions on what products work best? I kind of feel like it sort of depends on the answer to question #1 first.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Happy New Year everyone!
Hi JerDogg,

I believe surge protectors have a lifespan of effectiveness and usually have some way of indicating they are still effective. In my case this is an LED on the power strip. It would be worth factoring this in as replacement will be necessary at some point.

In terms of cable management, I have a media wall, which has 40mm plastic waste pipe running through it. Where the cables come out one end, they then immediately enter mini-trunking, which sticks to the wall directly above the skirting board and looks like part of it. Links to what I used below:

Amazon product

pm1961

Hi,

Have you got an electrician on site for your build?

Even if you haven't, I would investigate getting a Surge Protection Device (SPD) fitted (or adjacent) to your Consumer Unit.

If you have got one on site anyway, the cost would barely be much more than the cost of the device. Very simple (for them) to fit if you have a spare way in your CU. If you have no spare ways, you maybe installing another box anyway?

This gives your whole house protection, not just the stuff hanging off an extension lead........ The origin of which might be dubious and tested to what standard anyway?

Lets see some pics! Love a basement conversion....

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom