In too deep

electrolyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Took my 5 year old to The Deep in Hull today. It is an amazing place (The Deep, not Hull;) ) and I don't know who had a better time - me or him! It is a huge aquarium (they call it a subqaurium I think) on several floors. Well worth a visit.

Experimented with RAW for the 1st time today on my 350D and am now a convert. Took my entry in RAW and then used PSE4 to adjust the shadows and lighting to get a silhouette of my son and the woman from The Deep who was explaining to him what all the fishes were called. I used the RAW importer tool to do this and was very impressed how much control you have over how the image looks. I then increased the contrast and colour of the tank and fishes using the White Balance tool by clicking on a white section of the tank. PSE4 then loaded the modified image into the normal editing view and I then resized, added a frame and saved it as a JPEG. Will defo be shooting RAW only from now on - will just have to buy a few more CF cards though 1st :(.

Vital stats are:

Camera = Canon 350D
ISO = 1600
Shutter Speed = 1/20 s
Apeture = f/3.5
Lens / Focal Length = 18-55@18mm

Hope you all like it

65261145.jpg

Wow, I simply love this shot. Having the sillhouetted figures is a wonderful effect and makes the pond's colours look so vivid. Very impressed!

another great shot mate... your shots are a great example of how good the kit lens can be in the right hands.

Simply stunning, the detail of the marine life, considering it was taken through glass, is amazing. I love the contrasting colours of the sea life, to the darkness of the people.

I took some shots at the deep for the competition a couple of weeks ago. I'm really glad I chose not to go with any of them as they were all rubbish compared to this one. I love the smile on the ray's face (or should that be bottom?)!

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. It is nice to know that my shot is appreciated.

colbec23 said:
I took some shots at the deep for the competition a couple of weeks ago. I'm really glad I chose not to go with any of them as they were all rubbish compared to this one. I love the smile on the ray's face (or should that be bottom?)!

That's a shame. I bet they weren't that bad. It is amazing what you can do in photoshop elements to improve pictures. Have you tried any post processing of your shots from the Deep? My shot really didn't look that great out of the camera. It was the processing that made the shot look like it did.

Here is a link to the shot before processing (and I think it looks pretty poor)
65684680.jpg

Perhaps you could try to process your images from The Deep - who knows you could have a potential winner lurking amongst your rejects!

Ciarán said:
Wow, I simply love this shot. Having the sillhouetted figures is a wonderful effect and makes the pond's colours look so vivid. Very impressed!

Totally agree. Stunning shot :smashin:

ELECTROLYTE said:
Perhaps you could try to process your images from The Deep - who knows you could have a potential winner lurking amongst your rejects!

I did get a few decent shots - but none of them had people in them! Now if this month's theme had been fish...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom