In times of hardship do Sky want to keep their customers?.....NO!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MrSkipsey, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A few years ago I signed contracts to have Sky TV (all 6 mixes, sports and movies) and Talk Talk phone and BB.
    I then cancelled the Talk Talk BB and the sports and movie packages with Sky and opted for Sky BB and talk package. Then I dropped the 6 mix down to 2 mix as I all I watched was the variety and knoweledge mixes.

For the last 2 years Ive had Sky Tv (2 mix), Sky BB, Sky talk and landline rental paid all to Sky.

The Sammy 556 plasma I purchased at Christmas comes with digi TV freeview and Ive been watching that over the last few weeks as BBC1,2, ITV, CH4 and CH5 arent a bad signal as opposed to the Sky that Im unable to watch. As the Sky box is out of warrenty I would of had to pay for it to be fixed according to Sky CS.

So anyway, Freeview isnt that bad and Ive weened myself of Sky over the last 3 days completely so decided to ring them and cancel the Sky TV and keep the BB and telephone package.

Can I? NO!

Apparently, if I want Sky BB and phone package I have to keep Sky TV.

Told them to send my MAC code as I wont be blackmailed into a keeping a package I dont want just to have something I do want.

So,...Within 20 seconds, Sky went from having a customer who wanted to cancel 1 out of 4 packages to cancelling all 4 packages.

They even offered to send me a new Sky box!!!???!!!

MAC code is to arrive within 5 days and thecancellation will take place 32 days from now.

Sky, no matter how good they have been for me in the past have no idea about keeping customers!

Gotta find a new BB supplier now!:rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY are a PAY TV business who operate a Broadband service and Telco as a loss leader and to facilitate a future IPTV service, at the end of the day their money comes from TV subscriptions and that is always a pre-requisite for any SKY deal.

You will find the majority if not all ISP products of the same spec at the same price (not a short term deal) will also be linked to having the primary service of the supplier (O2 mobile for O2 cheap broadband for example) to subsidise the price of cheap broadband.

3. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The trouble is, I only need BB. Im with Orange for my mobile phone but only have to give 30 days notice to cancel that and I could then go to 02 on PAYG.

Trouble is, Ive now got to find the best BB!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    How about good ol' BT and perhaps look into their BTV product which combines Freeview and IPTV in a PVR type box, it may not be the cheapest or the best but for a few extra quid it could be worth considering.
    Assuming the SKY digibox was at fault you could add a Freesat HD box in it's place, give the plasma something really good to play with:)

5. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ill look into this. Although the sat dish is communal so I dont actually have access to it as its ontop of the roof 14 floors up!

I was looking at ordering the BT NTE5 modified box and installing it and then running a test and see what speeds I get. I just did a quick speed test with the basic NTE5 box with the ADSL splitter connected to it and heres the result.
    [​IMG]

There was a thread on the forums from someone saying they could get O2 friends and family but cant find it. Im looking at 02 and apparantly I can get upto 16Mbps so the O2 premium package at £10/month would be great if this was the case!!! If not Id settle with O2's basic package.

6. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187

Unfortunately, and this is clearly stated in the T's & C's of the Bb and talk contract, you must have a Sky TV subscription to have Sky Talk and Sky Broadband.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Not a problem, just plug the old cable into the new box, no need to go near the dish at all. Of course you should check the communal signal by trying a friends box on the feed, it would annoying if you went to some expense and it was your feed from the communal system:)

8. zappo

zappo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

PM me and I can refer you to my BB supplier, they charge from £9.99 a month with a cancel anytime contract.