1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the red corner is SVS and in the blue corner......

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Matt F, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The SVS CS Ultra is a very fine sub but you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think it will "thrash" an HGS18 - I'd be interested to know who says an SVS CS Ultra is "supposed to thrash" an HGS - I don't think even Tom Vodhanel of SVS would claim that.

Have a read of this review (which features, amongst others, both the HGS18 and SVS CS Ultra) for a balanced opinion: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

Matt.

[Edit by Ian J - these were originally off topic posts on another thread that I have removed and given a dedicated thread]

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I bet you own a Velodyne sub, Matt F.

The dual CS-Ultra package compares very well against the Velodyne, if not better in some respects- flatter, louder.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Indeed - I am a very proud HGS15 owner.

So, the CS Ultra (well, two of them) now compares "very well against the Velodyne, if not better in some respects...." - doesn't sound much like the "thrashing" you were talking about earlier.

Whilst the review in question pointed out the many strengths of the pair of SVS CS Ultra's, it said of the HGS18:

"How do you put this sub in words? It was clean and accurate everywhere. Quite possibly the best sounding sub I've heard to date. "

The reason the SVS CS Ultra wins in the output stakes is, of course, because there is no limit on it's THD. It can achieve some incredible SPL's e.g. 112 dB at 20Hz but at this level you're looking at 13%THD - still very good, compared to many other subs, but many times more than the max 0.5%THD of a Velo HGS15/18, the Velo's ouputs being limited to keep within the 0.5%THD.

Back down at 100dB (at 20Hz) the CS Ultra looks a lot cleaner with a mere 5%THD (compares well with the Paradigm Servo 15).

Just to conclude, as I said before, the CS Ultra is a fine sub but comments such as it would "thrash an HGS" are just plain silly Nathan.

Matt.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt some dual CS-Ultra owners will disagree with you.

Have you got a review with the HGS line with THD figures?
    With dual Ultra's you'll get 118dB at 20hz.

The HGS-18 is about 10dB lower in volume at 20hz, and max 110dB at 80hz.

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Disagree with what? The facts? Well, the facts and figures for the CS Ultra are all here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/svs-cs-ultra-subwoofers-5-2002-part-2.html and the review is done by the very well respected John E Johnson Jnr, not What HiFi.

I'm not sure what your problem is as I'm not criticising the CS Ultra in any way, what I am questioning is your statement that it "thrashes" the HGS - I've seen no evidence of this, the balanced reviews I have found do not suggest this and, as I said, I don't even think Tom Vodhanel (who makes SVS subs) would make such a bold claim.

Matt.

6. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blah blah blah.... stop waving your manuals in the air chaps.

Any word from the original owner about the original post?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you have a link to a in depth report of the HGS15/18?

Where is this magical 0.5% THD figure you conjured up from?

I've read some comments that a CS-Ultra outperforms a HGS-15. No doubt you'll refute this.

Ok I should have said "The dual CS-Ultra package is equal to the Velodyne, if not better in all respects" :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Nathan you ought to be a fisherman cuase you can sure reel them in.
    Gonzo.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you wouldn't believe one group who make a subjective claim but you would believe another group who make a counter claim? How does that work exactly? Is it because you own (or intend to own) one or other of the products per chance?

Have you any idea how many members of this forum you have just insulted?

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This place is basically a Velodyne place so I take comments with a pinch on salt.

As I do when I go onto the American forums where the majority are SVS owners.

Why have I insulted members? Because like some members, I have spotted the wolf in sheeps clothing? At the end of the day, some of the MD's/sales reps that frequent this forum are very unlikely to dissuade possible customers, even it means white lies/sales talk.

Like another member put it, sheeps to the flock.

Have a nice day.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    Just a casual observation here.
    It seems that whatever you own or want to buy is the best, while everything else is rubbish.
    Case in point was your recent cut and paste from the Lexicon website of their specs claiming that this is a review and also claiming with further (Nathan) silly posts that your second hand MC1 is the king of the world and everything else including Tag is rubbish.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78186

Please don't make the mistake of thinking you've gone from newbie to expert in 3 months flat.
    There are many industry professionals who monitor this forum including Tom V, myself and others. The stuff you churn out day in day out never ceases to amaze me and is for many of us high octane entertainment.

Tom V's SVS subs are very good performers for the money. There is no mistake about it.

Velodyne, the inventors of the active feedback servo system and now the Digital Drive units have been making world class subs for over twenty years and surprisingly their subs are also great performers for their cost.

It's that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would do some research before you rubbish products. Neither Velodyne or Tag are rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr John E Johnson one of the most respected guys in the industry has very elaborate test facilities. Guess what he uses as reference subwoofers in his labs?
    3 x HGS-18

As for where the Velodyne got their distortion figures from, better ask THX who also verified these figures and gave the HGS-15 and HGS-18 THX Ultra 2 certification because of it.

I'm glad you've decided not to buy Velodyne otherwise you'd probably be rubbishing SVS subs and as I said earlier. They are very good products which are quite undeserving of your attention.

I consider myself a very lucky man. :smashin: :clap:

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two things Eric. I did not just cut and paste my Lexicon MC-1 first post. I spent time and wrote that.

I've been into AV for 10 years. Not three months.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because you've insinuated that people are unable to make their own judgements whilst quite arrogantly proclaiming your own views to somehow be of merit.

There would be only one reason this place is a 'Velodyne place' and that is if purchasers of Velodyne products were happy with their purchase.

Do you really think people would sit in their HC and think 'God, that sounds bad but Eric said it was good so I've spent my money wisely'?

People have a number of choices when buying subwoofers but, inevitably, some are better than others. Whilst I agree that not everyone will agree on exactly which ones are the best, it seems somewhat more than coincidence that the vast majority of Velodyne owners are so pleased with their subs.

Just because you've chosen a different route doesn't mean you have to insult the vendors of other products or the people who buy them.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This thread was split away from another as a few of the posts had gone off topic. Nathan started by making two comments in a post in the other thread which has now been deleted by Spectre.

Only half of his post has been quoted at the beginning of this thread and therefore his comments have been taken out of context so I am therefore closing this thread now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.