In the mood for watching some childhood classics!

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether it's because Christmas is around the corner, whether the nights are drawing in or because I'm just reading the forums alot, but I feel motivated to watch some old classics which in some cases defined memories of my childhood. I've also recently got a projector again after many years without one, and it's transformed the movie viewing experience - you simply can't beat a big screen, and a projected image looks so filmic compared to a TV.

Anyway, when I was growing up the only access to movies was TV, which meant Christmas was the most special time of the year from a movie point of view, and it was years before we had a VCR in our house.

I have so many new films in my collection which need watching, but I feel compelled to revisit some of my "childhood classic" movies. That said, time is not always kind to some of our movie memories, and I wonder if some of my "must watch" list will end up disappointing me...

Silent Running - classic Sci-fi movie which I first saw at school and I've not seen since! In those days we were treated to a few movies at school in the last couple of days before breaking up for Christmas.

Watership Down - Ditto above.

Star Wars Trilogy - I confess I've never seen the originals on Bluray, even though I bought the boxset the day it came out. With episode VII around the corner, I must revisit these again!

Indiana Jones Trilogy - Seen them so many times over the years, but after a break of over a decade, I feel the need to see the adventures of Indy again! (and again, I've never watched them on Bluray)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - I do wonder how well this will have aged, but I have fond memories!

Wizard of Oz/Return to Oz - I know the latter divides opinion but I enjoyed it when I was a kid! Watched 10 minutes of it on netflix recently and wow...it's a dark movie!

Plenty of others that I can't think of now, but what classics have you seen recently/are planning to see?

Last edited:
There are two childhood films I revisit on a regular basis, so i'll add them to the mix:

Superman The Movie - This wages a constant battle in my heart with Star Wars for the title of favourite film. The blu only shows up how the effects may have dated, particularly the all too visible wire work but it's impossible to diminish the love I have for the escapism it represents. I have no problem accepting different James Bonds and Doctor Whos but no one will ever so perfectly be Superman for me as Christopher Reeve.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Superb film and a great disc, it just needs to replace the title card at the start with Sonora Desert - 1977 instead of Sonora Desert - Present Day, it just makes it easier to accept the flares (trouser not lens) :D

As an 80s kid, it's the classics from then for me:

Labyrinth - ignore Bowies crotch and it's just an awesome kid-friendly fantasy romp. Saw this at the flicks with my junior school class as a Christmas trip. God those were the days.....

Dark Crystal - damn those Skekses are still scary. One I remember watching one Christmas Day morning when I got up far too early (had it recorded off of the tv). My dad came down, watched it for 5 minutes and said it would give him nightmares!!!!! [emoji13]

The Neverending Story - bonkers but with the death of a beloved character in it, was one of the first to really make me bawl. Another one that was on constant rotation on VHS and my mum gave me the book to read, which I remember doing one Boxing Day in our local. Anyone's else's parents drag you down the pub for hours at a time while leaving you to pretty much your own devices???? Parents hey?

The Black Hole - still get weepy thinking about Old Bob.....not v Christmassy but I'm throwing it in here anyways!!!!

Watched all on blu recently (apart from The Black Hole - finger out now Disney!!!) and they all stand up really well. Although my rose tinted specs may have been firmly in place....

Last edited:
The Black Hole - still get weepy thinking about Old Bob.....

Not as weepy as I get when I think how much these would be worth if i'd kept them in the original packaging :(

image.jpeg

Just ordered the jungle book and 101 Dalmatians to watch with the kids (two for one at zavvi). I'm waiting for lost boys to drop through the letter box (guilty of loving cheesy vampire flicks).

You've got me thinking about Indiana Jones though, not seen them in ages.

Not as weepy as I get when I think how much these would be worth if i'd kept them in the original packaging :(

As a kid I'm sure the first thing you think when you get the latest action figures from your favorite movie is "hmm I think I'll keep these in the original packaging to supplement my pension for when I retire many years from now."

Yeah, but I think I was 16 when I picked them up for about 20p in a discount shop, and I STILL wanted to play with them :blush:

As an 80s kid, it's the classics from then for me:

Labyrinth - ignore Bowies crotch and it's just an awesome kid-friendly fantasy romp. Saw this at the flicks with my junior school class as a Christmas trip. God those were the days.....

Dark Crystal - damn those Skekses are still scary. One I remember watching one Christmas Day morning when I got up far too early (had it recorded off of the tv). My dad came down, watched it for 5 minutes and said it would give him nightmares!!!!! [emoji13]

The Neverending Story - bonkers but with the death of a beloved character in it, was one of the first to really make me bawl. Another one that was on constant rotation on VHS and my mum gave me the book to read, which I remember doing one Boxing Day in our local. Anyone's else's parents drag you down the pub for hours at a time while leaving you to pretty much your own devices???? Parents hey?

The Black Hole - still get weepy thinking about Old Bob.....not v Christmassy but I'm throwing it in here anyways!!!!

Watched all on blu recently (apart from The Black Hole - finger out now Disney!!!) and they all stand up really well. Although my rose tinted specs may have been firmly in place....
No love for Princess Bride? :eek:

No love for Princess Bride? :eek:
Yeah but I never saw it as a kid - I first saw it as an twenty-something and whilst I do really like it, it's not up there with these from my youth for me.

Watch a Christmas movie, watch the BEST EVER Christmas movie - 'DIE HARD' - yippee ki yay mother Hubbard!!

How about The Karate Kid and Karate Kid II? Also some Rob Reiner - the aforementioned Princess Bride and Stand By Me? I was also a fan of The Brat Pack so what about some St. Elmo's Fire and The. Outsiders? Also, you've got have some John Hughes so I'd go for Weird Science, Ferris Bueller, and some John Candy flavoured Hughes with Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I also used to love The Jerk and The Man with Two Brains (Steve Martin at the top of his game). And I'll just throw in the excellent Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I agree with Smurfin. Good time of year for films with the family.

The Black Hole is a film i always watch at xmas (first time i saw it was at xmas so by my logic it is an xmas film) Great film and i love it. The ending is crazy for a family film but all the better for it. The robots are excellent, the ship looks great and the cast are all good.

Flash Gordon is another one for xmas. Jason and the Argonauts + a bit of Sinbad. Labyrinth is a top film which i need to watch again. For some reason I haven't ever seen Dark Crystal.

I agree with Smurfin. Good time of year for films with the family.

Flash Gordon is another one for xmas. Jason and the Argonauts + a bit of Sinbad. Labyrinth is a top film which i need to watch again. For some reason I haven't ever seen Dark Crystal.
How the hell did I forget Flash Gordon???? [emoji15] Awesome. I would have sold my mum, dad and sister for one of those rocket cycles.......still would truth be told [emoji16]

How the hell did I forget Flash Gordon???? [emoji15] Awesome. I would have sold my mum, dad and sister for one of those rocket cycles.......still would truth be told [emoji16]

Bluray £7.38 from Amazon. Thinking of hitting the button!

View attachment 645843
Start checking around ebay. I bought the Palomino crew, VINCent, Reinhardt, Maximilian and a Sentry Robot all loose, this year and they are not cheap anymore. MOC ones go for a lot of money. The limited run of wave two figures are even more expensive...
Yes, I am big Black Hole fan, watched it on the cinema aged 10.
Disney need to sort this out for Bluray..!!

Bluray £7.38 from Amazon. Thinking of hitting the button!
Do it. Right now. Go on, you know you want to. I already have it but thinking about it I'd pick up another copy because of its awesomeness......:cool:

The witch mountain movies
black hole
the "racoons" movies
sparkys magic piano
dot and the kangaroo
and
af7733f544f410e00e7b2b1ec4ce61a9.jpg

How about this bad boy????? Another huge Disney omission from BD. God this scared the bejesus out of me as a kid......

I have this on DVD! Brilliant scary dragon action. Very gritty and dark Disney fantasy from director Matthew Robbins.
Yep, it's one of the few DVDs I have kept hold of too. It's just awesome and about as far from Disney as you could ever imagine a film aged at kids to be.

How about this?
image.png

OK,I'll get my coat :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom