Question In the middle of buying a setup, what do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ctrlaltx, Aug 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ctrlaltx

ctrlaltx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys!

I don't know a lot about hifi systems, but I have read a few things in the past few weeks and I came up with a setup that I'd like to ask you if it's ok.

I have a Sony x930E and I'd like to get a better sound than the TV speakers. I will not have sorround because the position of the couch/tv is in the middle of the room and I cannot have anything around it. Only frontal.

So here is the list I've come up with:
    Receiver: DENON AVR-X550BT
    Center: Klipsch RP250C
    2x Front - Tower: Klipsch R-24F
    Sub: Klipsch R-10SW

I can get all of the listed items together for about 950€.

So what do you think? Is it ok or should I get something else ...

Thank you for all your information

2. ctrlaltx

ctrlaltx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you maybe go for the Dali Zensor "set" ?

3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I'm by no means an expert when it comes to AV so I can't comment on your chosen components but one thing strikes me.

It seems a waste to buy a multi-channel receiver if your sole aim is to obtain better audio quality from the TV. Are you going down the receiver route simply to get the centre channel and a subwoofer output? If that's the case, I really don't know if it's worth it. That's just my thoughts - hopefully someone with more experience in this area will chip in?

As an alternative, how about a stereo system? Many of us simply listen to our TV's in stereo and find it's perfectly fine. A good stereo, with speakers positioned either side of the TV, gives a decent centre sound image without the need for a centre channel, though I dare say a dedicated centre speaker would give an even stronger image. The TV's digital audio output should be of high quality so I'd make use of it. Some TV's even have high quality analogue outputs, but that's more hit & miss. It appears that your TV has a subwoofer output though I don't know how versatile (i.e. wrt tuning) it is compared to a receiver.

Why not make use of your TV's digital stereo audio output and feed it into either a stereo amp and traditional passive speakers or directly into powered passive or powered active speakers via a DAC? Thought should be given to volume control because a remote control may not be available with some examples of these products.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
  5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    If you can switch to the slightly more expensive Klipsch RP-Series speakers. This is really the Sweet Spot in Klipsch speaker right now. Though they are renewing the R-Series, I'm not sure of the availability just yet, as this has just been recently announced.

RP-250F Piano Black | Klipsch

RP-260F Piano Black | Klipsch

R-24F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

It seems that the R-24F is the latest version. The advantage of the RP-Series is that they use a Rubberized Horn which is less prone to resonate compared to the Plastic Horns of the R-Series. Though I have no feedback on the NEW R-Series, I would expect some improvement over the previous R-Series.

Then we have the applications. This is primarily for TV? How often to you watch Movies?

First before we get too carried away, what are the Dimensions of the room you are putting the system in. We size the equipment to match the room (more or less).

Keep in mind I'm Biased in the direction of Stereo. While I don't get Surround Sound, I still thoroughly enjoy movies in Stereo, and I get bass sufficient to ruffle my hair WITHOUT a Subwoofer. As mentioned you simply use the TV as the Hub. My HDMI sources go to the TV, and the Optical Out of the TV goes to my Stereo. If you really want to maximize your money, then at least weigh the possibility of a Stereo.

Assuming a reasonably sized room and a £1000 budget, let's see what we can do.

Yamaha RN803 Network Receiver, 100w/ch, DAB/DAB+, DAC (2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 1xUSB-Media), Network Streaming, Room EQ, and more .... £550

Yamaha R-N803D Network Receiver

MusicCast R-N803D - Overview - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Monitor Audio Bronze 6 floorstanding (3x6.5") - £699/pr -

Monitor Audio Bronze 6 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

OK, took you a bit over budget, but I went with considerably bigger speakers.

If we try to match your original speakers -

Klipsch R-24F - £530/pr

Klipsch R-24F Speakers (Pair)

The consider these -

Acoustic Energy AE 109 Speakers (Pair)

Dali Zensor 5 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 11.3 Speakers (Pair)

And though very new with little feedback, the Dali Spektor 6 with 2x6.5" bass drivers -

Dali Spektor 6 Speakers (Pair)

Of course there are many other options for considerably less money.

As mentioned by someone else, the Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amp with DAC (85w/ch, £250) -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

A-S501 - Overview - HiFi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Is a bargain with a suggested retail of £400.

It has Optical and Coaxial Inputs so it could be connected to a TV, and would leave you about £750 for speakers. The Bronze 6 would easily fit in that budget. Assuming your room dimensions, and seating distance permit it.

Another options if an digital tech Amp would be the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver (80w/ch, Network Streaming, DAC (2xOptical, 2xCoaxial) - £320 -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

R-N602 - Overview - HiFi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Generally on AV Receivers, you want to spend at least £500 to get a decent one, and the high you can go the better.

AVR-X550BT

Audio Visual World - Denon AVR-X540BT - 5.2 Wireless Network AV Receiver with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

I'm not even sure this is a current model give how hard it was to find a place selling it.

Denon AVR-X550BT - AV receiver | Alza.co.uk

Though it is listed among Denon current models.

Really it is about striking a balance of your needs, personal preferences, priorities, budget, and the room the system will be placed in. Every decision compromises something in favor of something else, you have to work out the best system that suits you and your need.

In a smaller room, it is possible that Bookshelf/Sub are the better choice.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018