In the market for new receiver and would appreciate some advice

gibbsy

This is crazy. It's not a cheap receiver! It's a bit of a deal breaker for me, am thinking of returning it! What would you recommend as an alternative?
I've got an X6500, no backlit on that either and that's a tier above the X4XXX models. I've also got a high end Denon stereo SACD player, not backlit either. To be honest I don't find it a problem but I only use my X6500 for audio either from my 4K player, Sky box or TV. Depends on how much you need to use it, streaming etc I suppose.

The buttons on my remote are supposed to glow with a green tinge in the dark but that's as useful as a chocolate tea cup.

debt collector

I've got an X6500, no backlit on that either and that's a tier above the X4XXX models. I've also got a high end Denon stereo SACD player, not backlit either. To be honest I don't find it a problem but I only use my X6500 for audio either from my 4K player, Sky box or TV. Depends on how much you need to use it, streaming etc I suppose.

The buttons on my remote are supposed to glow with a green tinge in the dark but that's as useful as a chocolate tea cup.
So if you're watching a film in a dark room, how do you see the buttons in your remote?

Just curious, you wrote that you only use your x6500 for audio from your sky box etc. Do you not also pass the video through the receiver?

If you were to purchase your receiver today would you buy the X6500 or would you buy a different unit, and if so which one?

Last edited:

Dobbyisfree

Don't forget that you can use the Denon remote app for your x4700 control too.

@gibbsy yes, it glows for a few minutes, not very useful! But the learning functions are brilliant, I can do everything on my Samsung 4k BR player using the AVR remote.

To be honest, you pretty quickly learn where the buttons are by feel. And also, in my case, a lot of viewing is on the Nvidia Shield, with backlit remote that also does the AVR volume.

debt collector

@gibbsy yes, it glows for a few minutes, not very useful! But the learning functions are brilliant, I can do everything on my Samsung 4k BR player using the AVR remote.

To be honest, you pretty quickly learn where the buttons are by feel. And also, in my case, a lot of viewing is on the Nvidia Shield, with backlit remote that also does the AVR volume

To be honest, you pretty quickly learn where the buttons are by feel. And also, in my case, a lot of viewing is on the Nvidia Shield, with backlit remote that also does the AVR volume.
I'm getting the impression that others don't mind that the remote doesn't have back light. I read somewhere the flagship Denon receiver has a back-lit remote. Can it be used with the X4700?

I'll play with the app to see what it can do but on first impressions it has got limited functionality.

Do you connect the Nvidia Shield to the receiver or to your TV?

Dobbyisfree

I read somewhere the flagship Denon receiver has a back-lit remote. Can it be used with the X4700?

I don't know. I've had a few different models of Denon AVR in the house at the same time and couldn't see a pattern in which remote worked which. For example, an old (back lit haha) AVR 4310 remote control worked an AVR-X2300. But then the old AVR 1910 remote didn't. My x4400 remote does work an x3100 but not the AVR 1910!

The receiver. All 3 of the sources in my signature go into the receiver. I can't use eARC, as my TV will only switch on ARC is CEC is also enabled and I find CEC the worst thing ever.

The Shield doesn't do the AVRs volume through CEC, I can tell because you have to point it at the AVR to work the volume. But I didn't have to set this up with a code or anything, it was just in the settings on the Shield, as if it knew from HDMI that it was a Denon and then just worked!

I'm getting the impression that others don't mind that the remote doesn't have back light.

We have two little gorgeous puppies so always have low light that suffices for remote control anyway.

gibbsy

If you were to purchase your receiver today would you buy the X6500 or would you buy a different unit, and if so which one?
I'd still buy a Denon as it suits my needs, replacement would certainly be of the same tier but I hoping to keep the current X6500 for a good few years. Don't like paying full price though and usually buy as the new models are announced.

DavidT

Can't you use your tv's remote to control the avr, I assume it is back-lit.

DavidT

I could but my TV remote doesn't have all the functions that are on the receiver remote control
My use is pretty simple, I only need volume when watching something so the TV remote is ok for me.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm getting the impression that others don't mind that the remote doesn't have back light. I read somewhere the flagship Denon receiver has a back-lit remote. Can it be used with the X4700?

I'll play with the app to see what it can do but on first impressions it has got limited functionality.

I can't speak for Denon but the sister brand Marantz 7015 does still have a backlit remote, I don't think the 6015 does though.

Dobbyisfree

I'd be grateful if you could explain why you chose the Nvidia Shield pro over the Nvidia Shield

Two reasons:
1. USB connectivity, easier for sharing content with other machines.
2. Power, it has a bit more RAM, and with the bigger case/fan etc thought it would cope better with wide band streaming. (I had come from using a small PC and was nervous about it being powerful enough).

It still hides in your system see picture, it's at the end of the AVR, you can't see it from the front:

20210905_150821.jpg

debt collector

Two reasons:
1. USB connectivity, easier for sharing content with other machines.
2. Power, it has a bit more RAM, and with the bigger case/fan etc thought it would cope better with wide band streaming. (I had come from using a small PC and was nervous about it being powerful enough).

It still hides in your system see picture, it's at the end of the AVR, you can't see it from the front:

View attachment 1565972
Thanks. What's the fan for at the back of your receiver. Does it get very hot?

Dobbyisfree

Yes. In my experience, only since going 4k, the Denon and Marantz models I've had when passing through 4k get their video boards very hot. The heat mostly comes from there and not from the amplifiers (which is what you might expect).

This model (and many others) have internal fans, they are either very quiet or don't come on. The AVR has its own heat protection and shutdowns etc regardless of fan function. But as a precaution, many owners who have to put them in an enclosure use additional cooling. It is best placed on top really but, in my case, I didn't want it visible. At the rear like that (behind some rear vents in the AVR) I can feel it us keeping it cooler.

It seems to me in the modern day that the biggest failure risk on AVRs is their video/HDMI functions. Personally, I've had AVRs/AVPs for 20 ish years now and only one has failed and that was an HDMI board in a Sony AVR. So, to me, it makes sense for about £25 to keep it cooler (that bought two fans, the other cools our FVP-5000T which gets too hot and was causing it functionality issues).

debt collector

My receiver is set-up and I ran auto-calibration. I toggled sound to Auto. But the audio is in stereo. For example, I'm watching MNF on my Sky Q box so I would expect to have surround sound of some sort. Should I select for DD Plus in the Digital audio output HDMI in my Sky Q 1TB UHD box? What's the right setting in my receiver to get surround sound going?

Last edited:

gibbsy

My receiver is set-up and I ran auto-calibration. I toggled sound to Auto. But the audio is in stereo. For example, I'm watching MNF on my Sky Q box so I would expect to have surround sound of some sort. Should I select for DD Plus in the Digital audio output HDMI in my Sky Q 1TB UHD box? What's the right setting in my receiver to get surround sound going?
Yes, you need to select DD+ as this will give you Sky's meagre Atmos offerings, but even in just DD if the programme is in 5.1 then that's what should be out put. Toggle through the audio options on the remote's green button (I'm talking Denon here). You will be looking for Dolby Surround to upmix stereo to 5.1 or 5.1 to a higher speaker layout, ie, 5.1.2, 7.1.

DavidT

Maybe MNF on Sky is broadcast in stereo.

DavidT

debt collector

Does anyone know if the avc-x4700 can output front L/R audio via a digital output? I am aware that I can use the analogue pre-outs to do that but because of my set up it is much better to output front L/R via an optical or coaxial digital output

Jester1066

Does anyone know if the avc-x4700 can output front L/R audio via a digital output? I am aware that I can use the analogue pre-outs to do that but because of my set up it is much better to output front L/R via an optical or coaxial digital output
Not as far as I'm aware no. What is it in your setup you're wanting to output to the L&R via optical or coaxial?

debt collector

Not as far as I'm aware no. What is it in your setup you're wanting to output to the L&R via optical or coaxial?
I'm using my TAD D1000 > Bryson 4b sst2 for my front L/R and my Denon avc-x4700 for the rest my my surround speakers. The D1000 being a digital preamp/DAC only has digital inputs.

debt collector

Would anyone know why the AVC-X4700 supplied by Richer Sounds comes in a box where the original factory seal has been opened and then re-taped? It looks like the box was opened for some reason. I asked Richer Sounds salesperson and I could not get a straight answer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones