In the market for new receiver and would appreciate some advice

debt collector

I have an old Onkyo receiver TX NR-901 and now that I got the LG G1 TV I would like to upgrade to a 4K or 8K compatible receiver. The receiver will drive the satellite speakers whilst the front L/R speakers are driven by my Bryston 4b SST2. I have two Velodyne DD10+ active subwoofers that I would like to connect to the receiver as well. I would like a receiver with eARC to connect the TV HDMI audio output to the receiver for streaming UHD material via Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other smart TV apps. I am considering the AVC-X3700H. Do you think it is a wise choice. What else do I need to consider when considering what receiver to get?

gibbsy

The X3700 will give you all that need although I'm not too sure if it is able to calibrate the subs individually or as a pair. Someone will clear this up no doubt. It does have individual RCA pre-outs for both subs. As for 8K or rather the HDMI 2.1 uprated chip then you would have to check with the supplier that the new chip is fitted and you will not have to rely on the external HDMI box issued as a stop gap.

You'll have no trouble with any UHD streaming as this is unaffected by the chip problem and doesn't need HDMI 2.1 in any case. You'll also be able to decode Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus if you have the correct speaker set up. The X3700 does come with virtual Atmos which can take advantage of a 5.1 layout, although a poor substitute.

If you play stereo music and even though the fronts will be driven externally the pre-amp of the Denon is not the greatest for music should that be of importance.

debt collector

Thanks gibsby. The AVC-X3700H HDMI specifications are 8K/60Hz, 4K/120Hz pass-through and upscaling, VRR, ALLM, Dynamic HDR, HDR10+, and eARC support. Going by this spec, does that look like it has the HDMI 2.1 or uprated chip? I don't need that at the moment because i don't have any 8K material to watch but I thought if getting a receiver that supports *K to future-proof it

At the moment I have an old 5.1 speaker set but I am thinking of upgrading to an Atmos ceiling speaker set to reduce clutter in the room and improve SQ

I agree completely, I have a separate DAC/preamp (TAD DA-1000) that is connected to my Bryston power amp for music playback.

gibbsy

When they release in X7XXX series it came with chip that was not playing ball with some 8K/60hz signals which was going to prove a problem with the new PS5. If you're not into gaming it's not going to effect you. As far as 8K is concerned any media, physical or download, is a long way away and at the moment 8K panels are no more than a gimmick.

All the Denons will happily pass through any video format including HDR10+, again if you can find any content. My TV has HDR10+ but no Dolby Vision and my X6500 cannot pass HDR10+ anyway so is by-passed for video from my 4K player. Audio wise they are very good with placement and dynamics with any 5.1 offering.

As for 8K broadcast Sky is way behind even with 4K content that other streaming services are comfortable with and even with 4K Netflix output 15.25mbps as a maximum with HDR and Atmos. You would also need a TV that is at least 77'' to see any difference between 4K and 8K. It's really HDR that makes the difference as it gives those images more 'pop' not the resolution per se.

Jester1066

The X3700 will give you all that need although I'm not too sure if it is able to calibrate the subs individually or as a pair.
A quick look at the specs online lists the subwoofer pre-outs as 2x independent (see pic). Meaning that each sub is indeed eq'd/calibrated individually. 👍🏼

Edit this is the case for both the AVC-3700 and AVR-3700 models.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-163333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-163333_Chrome.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

debt collector

When they release in X7XXX series it came with chip that was not playing ball with some 8K/60hz signals which was going to prove a problem with the new PS5. If you're not into gaming it's not going to effect you. As far as 8K is concerned any media, physical or download, is a long way away and at the moment 8K panels are no more than a gimmick.

All the Denons will happily pass through any video format including HDR10+, again if you can find any content. My TV has HDR10+ but no Dolby Vision and my X6500 cannot pass HDR10+ anyway so is by-passed for video from my 4K player. Audio wise they are very good with placement and dynamics with any 5.1 offering.

As for 8K broadcast Sky is way behind even with 4K content that other streaming services are comfortable with and even with 4K Netflix output 15.25mbps as a maximum with HDR and Atmos. You would also need a TV that is at least 77'' to see any difference between 4K and 8K. It's really HDR that makes the difference as it gives those images more 'pop' not the resolution per se.
I agree the 8k feature isn't that important, not any time soon, anyway. Given the advice that it calibrates the two subwoofers separately, would you choose that AVC-X3700H or would you go for something else?

Jase

Distinguished Member
A quick look at the specs online lists the subwoofer pre-outs as 2x independent (see pic). Meaning that each sub is indeed eq'd/calibrated individually. 👍🏼

Edit this is the case for both the AVC-3700 and AVR-3700 models.

The SW outputs are indeed independent so Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT will time align and level match them individually but EQ them as one.

Mr Wolf

The SW outputs are indeed independent so Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT will time align and level match them individually but EQ them as one.
I know you're not suggesting it is but, for the avoidance of doubt, that's not a shortcoming as it's the correct the way to do it, just like you would with a Mini-DSP 2x4HD with any number of subs.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I know you're not suggesting it is but, for the avoidance of doubt, that's not a shortcoming as it's the correct the way to do it, just like you would with a Mini-DSP 2x4HD with any number of subs.

Most certainly the correct way to do it. :smashin:

Jester1066

I think I'd like to run it at a 5.2.4 configuration
3700 will be cheapest - if buying new - that can do this and still allow you to drive your front speakers via the Bryston 👍🏼😊

Mr Wolf

I think I'd like to run it at a 5.2.4 configuration
In that case I think it is a wise choice for you. The X3700 is probably the sweet spot for your needs because it's the lowest Denon model that provides 9 channels of processing so you can't go any lower. It also includes the best (XT32) version of Audyssey and pre-outs, the latter of which allows you to use your Bryston amp with it. The higher Denon models offer better "AL32 processing" which I understand is mainly better for music but you don't really benefit from that as (I presume) your 2CH sources will be connected directly to the Bryston.

Another option for you at the same price is its sister model in the Marantz range, the SR6015. No major benefits really though - some multi-channel analogue inputs and HDAM circuitry that mainly benefits music listening and some don't prefer the sound signature anyway. No reason not to get it at the same price though, it's mainly down to aesthetics probably.

debt collector

I live in London but am also happy to buy the DENON AVC-X3700H online. Are there reputable dealers or online retailers that you would recommend or ones to stay away from. You are welcome to PM if you prefer

Jester1066

I live in London but am also happy to buy the DENON AVC-X3700H online. Are there reputable dealers or online retailers that you would recommend or ones to stay away from. You are welcome to PM if you prefer
I buy most of my AV gear from Richersounds (www.richersounds.com). There's also Audiovisual Online, Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, Peter Tyson.

gibbsy

I've bought all my Denon AV amps from Peter Tyson and they have always given me good deals and good service. At this particular moment in time it seems there is very little room for manoeuvre as it's a sellers' market because of supply problems. One dealer, it seems, is as good as another and it would be easy for you to visit various dealers in London.

EA666

The cheapest way to buy the amp would be with a speaker package.

Sevenoaks are currently selling the x3700H with Monitor Audio Bronze 200 AV package including the Dolby Atmos Upward Firing speaker for £2,239, link below

Thats just under 30% discount.

If you speak to Richersounds they may offer a price beat.

debt collector

The cheapest way to buy the amp would be with a speaker package.

Sevenoaks are currently selling the x3700H with Monitor Audio Bronze 200 AV package including the Dolby Atmos Upward Firing speaker for £2,239, link below

Thats just under 30% discount.

If you speak to Richersounds they may offer a price beat.
I have my front, centre and subs. I only need the surround and height speakers so this combo deal doesn't really work for me. But I'll speak to them tomorrow and see if they could sort something out for me

EA666

I would also give richersounds a call too. They offer a 6 year guarantee which is always handy.

Jester1066

I would also give richersounds a call too. They offer a 6 year guarantee which is always handy.
Also join their VIP club. It's free to sign up:

debt collector

I had the avc-x4700H delivered and I realised that either the remote doesn't have back light or I don't know how to turn it on. I hope it's the latter!

gibbsy

I had the avc-x4700H delivered and I realised that either the remote doesn't have back light or I don't know how to turn it on. I hope it's the latter!
Nope. Not backlit. Mean tight fisted Denon.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar