1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the market for a new TV - help needed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Cunny, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a budget of around £1000.
    What kind of things should I be thinking about?
    Is CRT old fashioned TV?
    Will this be obselete soon with LCD/Plasma/Hi-DEf TVs?

I don't want to buy something that is obselete in a couple of years.
    I just have the usual needs, connect VHS player/recorder,DVD, Sky to it.

Any help or advice appreciated.

2. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    the tosh 36zp48 would be my choice totally amazing tv got mine in january still impressed with it,brilliant amount of conections everything looks 100%better than my old tv xbox dvds ps2 gamecube,only thing its got me hooked now so in process of looking for av\amp and good speakers,not that the speakers supplied are bad they are pretty amazing but i want to see how far i can go with this baby,its quality.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    CRT will not be obselete for many years to come.

For your money you can probably get more or less the top spec 32 or 36 inch CRT - Sony tend to be good (though over priced in my opinion), the Tosh systemsdead gave is very highly rated though I personally would recommend the Panasonic 'PD50' range.

As with all 'top spec' equipment there will be some people that have experienced problems with each of these sets however given a good progressive scan source (eg DVD player or PS2) I dont think you can get better. For 'off air' sources it is a much closer run race.

If you were willing to increase your budget a little then you could also start looking at some of the budget or 'previous' model plasma or RP TVs

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I agree that crts will be with us for a very long time. However you casually mention 'Hi-def' TVs - is this important to you ? if it is then you will have to think very carefully about buying any product now that will future proof in this respect. Regards, yt.