In The Earth Movie Review & Comments

Really well written review, cheers.

Wheatley's work generally frustrates me. The guy can conjure some magnificent atmospheres though, that's for sure.

Kill List, in particular, had such a masterful sense of unease about it (until its last 15 minutes or so when all that subtlety went to shit...).

A Field in England too...the scene where Reece Shears' character emerges from the tent...'wow'.

i just can't see Wheatley ever producing something that's greater than the sum of its parts...

Really well written review, cheers.

Wheatley's work generally frustrates me. The guy can conjure some magnificent atmospheres though, that's for sure.

Kill List, in particular, had such a masterful sense of unease about it (until its last 15 minutes or so when all that subtlety went to sh*t...).

A Field in England too...the scene where Reece Shears' character emerges from the tent...'wow'.

i just can't see Wheatley ever producing something that's greater than the sum of its parts...
I feel the same. I admire him greatly as a filmmaker and I think it's amazing that he takes these risks with full commitment.

That they don't always pull together is frequently the selling point for me.
"That was incredibly ambitious...why didn't it work?" is a reaction I long for when watching a movie because that's a movie that sticks with me and gives me something to really think about.
That's pretty valuable as far as I'm concerned.

Looking forward to this, he has made some great films Sightseers, Kill List, A Field In England and I loved Free Fire. Let’s just forget about Rebecca and High Rise.
Along with Peter Strickland (In Fabric was my favourite film of 2018) they have made some of the most interesting British films of the last decade.
I am amazed they gave him the Meg sequel, hopefully his big Hollywood film does well.

I agree but when the parts are that good you can forgive a lot.

Cheers Tom, never heard of this. But was only wondering the other day what Wheatley was up to. He is a fascinating director, I'm never quite sure where to place his films to be honest. High Rise is a horror show, but not in a good way. Kill List though is a very good feature. As is A Field in England, as mentioned above.

Found it interesting at first but ultimately woeful. Horses for courses though

Well written review Tom, thank you. 8 out of 10 is a good score so will make this a must watch for me. I thought Kill List and Sightseers were good films though wouldn’t call them enjoyable, High Rise was ok but not very memorable and I missed a Field in England somehow. I’m not sure about Wheatley’s films, there’s no doubt he‘s a master at building tension and creating a kind of grimy atmosphere but I never rush back for a second viewing, much like you’ve indicated in your review, feeling like I don’t want to put myself through it again. Sightseers and Free Fire (enjoyable and his most conventional) are probably his most watchable films for me. After this review and the comments though I’m going to seek out A Field in England and revisit Kill List.

Watched this last night, great film really enjoyed it. Tied in nicely with current events, you can see he wrote it in lock down. A few funny moments, especially the axe scene, toe curling.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom