ivankg123

Novice Member
In search of new record player!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum! I'm looking for an uprgade to my Dual CS 415-2. I bought this turntable three years ago, when i started collecting vinyl records. To be honest it's a nice turntable,it does the job, but i can't stand having records that are 70€ played on turntable, which I bought for 50€ or about 60$. I have a rather nice amplifier, Hitachi HA-4500. I'm looking for better a audio quality and overall better alternative to the one I have. My budget is about 300€ or 360$.

I made a bit of research and came to the conclusion, that there few turntables that are in my price point and are worth the money.

Firstly,
Audio-Technica AT-LP5, not Audio-Technica AT-LP5X. I found one,second hand in great condition, in my country. For around 280€ or 330$. I saw few reviews and it turns out to be a great overall turntable, for pure listening purpose
Annotation 2021-04-16 085948.png
Annotation 2021-04-16 091116.png
Annotation 2021-04-16 091213.png

This is a picture of the record player from the seller!

Secondly,
Thorens TD 160. I think this turntable is well above my budget (500€), but I think i can negotiate the price to be a bit lower. I love thorens record players, they have all the features I need, they are made from good quality materials and overall they are aesthetically pleasing to look at. The owner says the turntable is in great technical and visual condition!

dc03a536639a613b84d383f3a64fc833.jpg
b669e26e4b9d6defe66c555a3fdb621f.jpg
fb893767dc2202721bab9a6445ddc137.jpg

A picture of the record player from the seller!

Thirdly,
DUAL Audiophile Concept CS-5000, I think Dual is a great brand as a whole. Even though my record player, Dual CS 415-2, was budget option, when i bought it, it did a pretty good job playing the records. I think this CS-5000 is their best hi-end turntable. It has all the bells and whistles of a good record player. The owner wants (400EUR) with Ortofon OM20 stylus.

b1a989d0b82c60c86f6e2ed9b04997bd.jpg
4cd667d355f84cc4cd3e6c4bf8ff9679.jpg
1ea4c4a736e3e304894448ece1161a95.jpg

Pictures from the owner!

And finally,
Technics sl-1410MK2, I really want Technics sl-1200, but unfortunately the lowest price i could find in my country was 700€, which is expensive. This record player, Technics sl-1410MK2, is a good cut down version of SL-1200. It has quatz motor and the tone arm is pretty decent from my perspective. The owner says it's from his private collection and in great condition. The price is around 300€, although he sells it without cartridge, which is a bummer, If i buy it i would have to spend more money on cartridge.

d26de87ac78ddc1c624a41515de381b6.jpg
b3d9d2790ea8380e849bd801ea738210.jpg
2d381040b24ce030af645a0a150e4ebb.jpg

Overall I think all of them are great. I would love to see your ideas and thoughts, maybe some advice from you guys. Which one do you think is the best? Is it worth spending extra money for Thorens,Dual or buy something in the budget like Audio-Technica? Do you have experience with these record players? And if you have other ideas for turntables like these let me know.

Thanks in advance and keep on spining that vinyl,
Ivan
\m/ \m/

DT79

The technics, all day long, as long as you’re confident in the condition.

ivankg123

Novice Member
The technics, all day long, as long as you’re confident in the condition.
Why do you think, technics is the best option? I really love the company, but still with so much other manufacturers and options, it is hard to choose.

DT79

Why do you think, technics is the best option? I really love the company, but still with so much other manufacturers and options, it is hard to choose.
My experience of owning technics TTs vs others, has led me to the conclusion that they are very convenient to own and use compared to others that I’ve tried. The direct drive system is far better than mucking about with rubber bands and all of the adjustments you need are conveniently located and easy to use. Setting up and adjusting many turntables is torturously tricky and it simply doesn’t have to be that way and despite what many would have you believe convenience doesn’t automatically compromise sound quality.

And they sound great. Perfect pitch stability counts for great deal.

With the older ones if it’s in good condition and fully working then it may as well have been made yesterday and loses nothing to a new deck. However you should be confident of that before buying, or make sure you know where to go to get it serviced.

Last edited:

ivankg123

Novice Member
My experience of owning technics TTs vs others, has led me to the conclusion that they are the very convenient to own and use compared to others that I’ve tried. The direct drive system is far better than mucking about with rubber bands and all of the adjustments you need are conveniently located and easy to use. Setting up and adjusting many turntables is torturously tricky and it simply doesn’t have to be that way and despite what many would have you believe convenience doesn’t automatically compromise sound quality.

And they sound great. Perfect pitch stability counts for great deal.

With the older ones if it’s in good condition and fully working then it may as well have been made yesterday and loses nothing to a new deck. However you should be confident of that before buying, or make sure you know where to go to get it serviced.
I see your point, thank you for your answer! I'm sure it is great sounding and convenient turntable and good option.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you can get hold of a good Linn Axis then that would be my choice, make sure the motor starts/stops and does not go in reverse and the 33/45 switch works as well. Rear lid hinges are plastic and the springs can break through so again factor this in, replacements are available. Going by reviews this is very close to a LP12 in terms of sound and is more convenient.

However, of those listed I would also look at the Technical SL1400mk2, as you say half decent arm and motor as the SL1200. if yopu can find a SL1600/1700/1800 Mk2 I think they have the same arm as the Sl1200. Add a AT VM95E at the moment and then upgrade when funds allow to the ML or SH Stylus, just check cartridge height first, not sure if the Sl1400mk2 has VTA adjustment.

Last edited:

ivankg123

Novice Member
If you can get hold of a good Linn Axis then that would be my choice, make sure the motor starts/stops and does not go in reverse and the 33/45 switch works as well. Rear lid hinges are plastic and the springs can break through so again factor this in, replacements are available. Going by reviews this is very close to a LP12 in terms of sound and is more convenient.

However, of those listed I would also look at the Technical SL1400mk2, as you say half decent arm and motor as the SL1200. if yopu can find a SL1600/1700/1800 Mk2 I think they have the same arm as the Sl1200. Add a AT VM95E at the moment and then upgrade when funds allow to the ML or SH Stylus, just check cartridge height first, not sure if the Sl1400mk2 has VTA adjustment.
I think there is no VTA adjustment on Technics SL1400mk2. I know Linn Axis, some of their turntables are great , but unfortunately there is only one for sale in the country and it sells for 800 EURO which is 950$. I see that Technics is the best choice for now, but what would you say about the other turntables.

DT79

I think there is no VTA adjustment on Technics SL1400mk2. I know Linn Axis, some of their turntables are great , but unfortunately there is only one for sale in the country and it sells for 800 EURO which is 950$. I see that Technics is the best choice for now, but what would you say about the other turntables.
I thought all the SL-1X00/10 Mk2s had the VTA adjustment? If not then definitely look for a model that does. No VTA adjustment will be a pain. So many TTs don't have it (or make it very difficult to adjust) it's ridiculous.

ivankg123

Novice Member
I thought all the SL-1X00/10 Mk2s had the VTA adjustment? If not then definitely look for a model that does. No VTA adjustment will be a pain. So many TTs don't have it (or make it very difficult to adjust) it's ridiculous.
Yeah i thought so too, by the way I don't know why but it's hard to find cartridge for this model and they are pretty expensive.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

DT79

Well that's great! I was getting discouraged. So it's good, I just hope i can get cartridge and stylus.
You could stick any number of cartridges on there and be very happy. Just use the Technics standard 52mm overhang for your alignment if you want to keep things simple (you can get a gauge cheaply).

ivankg123

Novice Member
But i'm pretty sure the owner will sell the turntable with the headshell. So i might get either AT-VM95E or Ortofon 2M RED. If i have money for it!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
just my opinion but the VM95e is significantly better value for money (£46 vs. £95 in the UK) and upgrading to the ML will bring you into 2M Bronze territory (£129 stylus). The VM95e can be had with the headshell for £69 in the UK.

ivankg123

Novice Member
I presume most cartridges would fit on a standart technics headshell, I'm not sure, if not is it possible to put AT-VM95E with AT-HS6 HEADSHELL on the turntable? In Bulgaria the cartridge and the headshell cost 80€ or about 70 punds, the same price as in UK. The cartridge only, cost 50 euro or 43-ish pounds which is better if i can put it on the original headshell.

DT79

just my opinion but the VM95e is significantly better value for money (£46 vs. £95 in the UK) and upgrading to the ML will bring you into 2M Bronze territory (£129 stylus). The VM95e can be had with the headshell for £69 in the UK.
@ivankg123 I agree - steer clear of the 2M Red - the rest of the 2M range is great, but I found the Red pretty mediocre and it suffered from terrible IGD, and I'm not the only one.

It doesn't looks like a standard headshell, but that's not necessarily a problem. You can buy one fairly cheaply, or there are many decent alternatives. That one is probably fine unless it's made of plastic.

ivankg123

Novice Member
@ivankg123 I agree - steer clear of the 2M Red - the rest of the 2M range is great, but I found the Red pretty mediocre and it suffered from terrible IGD, and I'm not the only one.

It doesn't looks like a standard headshell, but that's not necessarily a problem. You can buy one fairly cheaply, or there are many decent alternatives. That one is probably fine unless it's made of plastic.
On Monday I will text the owner of the Technics and ask about conditon and everything in between.

I have birthday soon, on 27th of April, and I want to buy myself a turntable , as a gift. If the SL1400mk2 is in poor condition or if it has problems, what should i choose from the TTs above. I like the aesthetics of Thorens, but it's expensive. Dual is a great brand, in my opinion, but I don't know a lot about this model(DUAL Audiophile Concept CS-5000). That leaves me with Audio-Technica which I have read about a lot and seems to be decent and i liked it. But I can't stand having turntable ,which is 280€, made in China, when I know that Technics are built in Japan, Dual and Thorens manufactured in Germany.

Thank you a lot for all your comments and support, I really do appreciate it

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom